Dang-it!!!!! Shoulder Injury

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

IkemanTx
500 Club

Dang-it!!!!! Shoulder Injury

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:19 am

Well, it looks like I may have torn my Labrum in my right shoulder (SLAP tear). A decent bit of pain and a LOT of new popping and clicking in the joint. Hoping to get an MRI later this week to verify. Looks like I have more than just scouting to work on this off season. At least it happened AFTER the season finished. If it turns out to be what I think it is, I won't be drawing a bow for a while. Anyone else experience this injury and have any suggestions?

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Dang-it!!!!! Shoulder Injury

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:35 am

How did you injure it?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
sethg

Unread postby sethg » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:57 am

IkemanTx wrote:Well, it looks like I may have torn my Labrum in my right shoulder (SLAP tear). A decent bit of pain and a LOT of new popping and clicking in the joint. Hoping to get an MRI later this week to verify. Looks like I have more than just scouting to work on this off season. At least it happened AFTER the season finished. If it turns out to be what I think it is, I won't be drawing a bow for a while. Anyone else experience this injury and have any suggestions?

I had a severe slap tear in my right labrum in 2012 (I was a pitcher, and tore mine while pitching). Had surgery on July 3rd 2012, and was bowhunting that fall. I went through very, very rigorous physical therapy with a PT that had a phd in overhand throwing, and does research for MLB. So she probably pushed me more than your typical PT would. But I got the green light to turn my bow down to 58 lbs, and draw and shoot it as long as it didn't hurt. It was tough to use hand climber, and draw in cold November weather, but it was possible.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:16 am

Stanley wrote:How did you injure it?

By trying to move something way too large for me to move. Essentially the same motor function a football player would use on a blocking sled.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:03 am

Dang - I am hoping it is minor injury. I know my old shoulders are starting to feel years of weight lifting and shooting heavy trad bows - time does take a toll.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:51 am

Ya, I have played and worked hard on my joints over the years. More than one doctor has told me my joints are 15 years older than I am. My wife said we hadn't even gotten time to fix all my other broken parts so I can't go breaking more. If it doesn't require surgery, I will hit the physical therapy hard. If it does need surgery, I'll have to take it slow and see.

blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:42 am

Welcome to the club! Hope everything goes good for you! I tore my left rotator cuff and biceps attachment last August
and am having surgery Feb 4th. Hoping to be good by Sep! At 62, I should probably stay off dirt bikes! Lol !!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:16 am

As we get older we have to admit we cannot do things we did 20 years ago. I am guilty of that myself and as a result am constantly dealing with nagging injuries.

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Shoulder injuries suck. I've had mine operated on twice from multiple dislocations. Hopefully MRI comes back in your favor. My only suggestion is to sling it and not utilize that arm for some time. Ice at night and keep your elbow tucked to side. Make it a habit for a few weeks and see how it feels.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:28 pm

And I forgot. If you end up needing surgery, get it done. You do not want to deal with a troublesome shoulder for the rest of your life.

rff

Unread postby rff » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:55 pm

Best of luck to you. Keep positive and lets hope its not a tear.

I have heard Labrum tears can be a bear of a surgery and recovery.

Look into starting to take an omega vitamin supplement. I take one called Flameout manufactured by Biotest.

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:01 pm

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I'm hopefully on the downhill side of a semi-recent shoulder tear.

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:28 pm

rff wrote:Look into starting to take an omega vitamin supplement. I take one called Flameout manufactured by Biotest.

Great idea on the omega supplement. And thanks everyone, hoping for a strain instead of a tear (even if it is a long shot at this time)

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:15 am

I had a severe slap tear from a tree stand fall, happened on a hunt, was my draw arm. I had to have surgery and 6 anchors put in my arm. I was out 3 months, I was shooting my 42lb recurve at the end of the 3 months.

My arm don't hurt anymore but it's not the same, I had to drop to 40lbs on the stick bows. With that said my shoulder is not the same and prob won't ever be, but it don't hurt 24/7 like it, it's still week years later.

If u have surgery do the rehab, listen to the docks and u will be good to go.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:15 am

My tear was in my labrum.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”