BOOKS!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaHunter

Re: BOOKS!!

Unread postby DaHunter » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Another great book is Taking pressured whitetails by Bill Vale. He's taken like 30 book deer from heavily pressured Michigan. He's got a couple chapters on noon phases and covers alot of other things in a pressured environment. He seems to not be well known

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Know where I can get a copy for less than $50? Looks like a good one. I like his youtube vids.

BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:39 am

EthanHogan1 wrote:Bayshore & Husker I will be getting the Moon phase book from another user to read, and then he request I pass it on so I will give to one of you and then pass it to the other. Bayshore I also have mapping trophy whitetails I would loan out once I get into my new house and un packed. Just send me a reminder in a few weeks please

Thanks Ethan, I'd love to read that book even if some members weren't impressed. I'm just hoping to add more knowledge about OH/UF phases and other theories based on the moon.

What I'd really like to see though is having Dan, Andrae and maybe one other Hunter who has had great success using the moon phase as another tool in planning hunts, to either write a book together or go in depth with a DVD or YouTube series on all the intricacies of the moon phase and hunting.

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:37 am

BowHusker wrote:
EthanHogan1 wrote:Bayshore & Husker I will be getting the Moon phase book from another user to read, and then he request I pass it on so I will give to one of you and then pass it to the other. Bayshore I also have mapping trophy whitetails I would loan out once I get into my new house and un packed. Just send me a reminder in a few weeks please

Thanks Ethan, I'd love to read that book even if some members weren't impressed. I'm just hoping to add more knowledge about OH/UF phases and other theories based on the moon.

What I'd really like to see though is having Dan, Andrae and maybe one other Hunter who has had great success using the moon phase as another tool in planning hunts, to either write a book together or go in depth with a DVD or YouTube series on all the intricacies of the moon phase and hunting.

Now that would be interesting.

BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:16 am

Bayshorebuck8 wrote:
BowHusker wrote:

Now that would be interesting.

Actually what might be the easiest would be if they could do an in-depth podcast on the subject. Maybe have a roundtable discussion with Dan and Andrae or even add more if they see fit.

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:40 am

Maybe Dan will go over the moon and other tips he uses to plan the best day to hunt in his DVD series... That is what we can hope for and if not maybe he could make another haha
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:48 am

EthanHogan1 wrote:Maybe Dan will go over the moon and other tips he uses to plan the best day to hunt in his DVD series... That is what we can hope for and if not maybe he could make another haha

I dont think dan is as into moon phases as you might think, i may be wrong but it seems like andrae is more into it then dan

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:40 am

Yeah prolly enough for him to do a whole chapter on it, but there are a lot of people that are. Like I said I like to learn from as many book, dvd, and people as I can. They all add a little something. It is mentioned in the dvd's and other material of dans that andrae uses it so I'm sure Dan uses it if it helps him, but I guess most of his deer are so pressured they don't move to far no matter the moon haha

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:14 am

Bayshorebuck8 wrote:
EthanHogan1 wrote:Maybe Dan will go over the moon and other tips he uses to plan the best day to hunt in his DVD series... That is what we can hope for and if not maybe he could make another haha

I dont think dan is as into moon phases as you might think, i may be wrong but it seems like andrae is more into it then dan

Ya your pry right but I know from listening to Dan that it seemed Andrae def changed his think on the validity of how these phases influence movement and how a guy can use that info to help him.

wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:21 am

DaHunter wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Another great book is Taking pressured whitetails by Bill Vale. He's taken like 30 book deer from heavily pressured Michigan. He's got a couple chapters on noon phases and covers alot of other things in a pressured environment. He seems to not be well known

Know where I can get a copy for less than $50? Looks like a good one. I like his youtube vids.

Wow, those prices have gone up. Good thing I bought that book 3 yrs ago when it was much cheaper.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:23 pm

I have Bill Vales book and its a good read. He has some good ideas and the chapter on the moon is just mind boggling. I had to read that chapter several times before I started to understand what he's talking about. Now that I understand it I can honestly say its very intriguing. I'll have to test it out for a few years to see just how accurate it is. The book is very long and its self published so theres a bunch of editing mistakes, which can make it tough to follow along sometimes. I also noticed that he seems to have made more than his fair share of bad shots on animals, either resulting in clean misses or wounding them. He recounts several stories of wounding deer and looking for them for days only to find them during the offseason dead somewhere. This doesnt mean he's a bad hunter though, just a bad shot. Another thing is he goes on and on about how he hunts the most high pressured area in the State of Michigan. I have a friend who lives in Capec which is north of Detroit and he tells me that the area of Battle Creek where Bill Vale hunts is like hunting in Iowa compared to hunting in Capec. The more you read the book, the more you'll realize the deer he hunts arent as pressured as he would like you to think...so take it for what its worth. In summary, good info, kinda tough to follow along, you'll have to read the moon chapter a few times and the hunting in his area isnt as tough as he makes it out to be.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Jcol6268

Unread postby Jcol6268 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:24 am

I would like to grab Vale's book, but the cheapest I could find it is on his website at $50. I found one for $36 until I realized it was in England and cost $57 to ship lol. And I am usually good at finding books. A couple months ago I got Murray's Moon Phase book for $11...
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:30 am

This may sound silly, but if anybody is interested in learning moon phase patterns, your probably better off buying a fishing book that covers it. Every animal I am aware of is effected by the moon in the same way, and fishing books are generally way cheaper than hunting books. With that said, there has got to be enough info in the dozens of threads on this forum to teach you everything you would ever need to know.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:09 am

I agree with all the above said. Kodiak the moon thing is just so in depth and hard to understand for me. I posted a thread about it and it helped a little bit. I'm just trying to figure out OH and UF. The gravitational pool has something to do with movement I think.

Jed33

Unread postby Jed33 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:48 am

Hawthorne wrote:
Rutnstrut wrote:Guys, check your public libraries. They have a lot of these books or the ability to get them from another library in their system.

This is how I got mapping trophy bucks

My list got longer also, I have 3 of the 4 Eberhart books requested!!
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:16 am

This post really took off. Really great suggestions!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”