BOOKS!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Re: BOOKS!!

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:03 am

That jeff murray moon book is crazy expensive

[ Post made via Android ] Image

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:43 am

Bayshore & Husker I will be getting the Moon phase book from another user to read, and then he request I pass it on so I will give to one of you and then pass it to the other. Bayshore I also have mapping trophy whitetails I would loan out once I get into my new house and un packed. Just send me a reminder in a few weeks please
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:43 am

Bayshore & Husker I will be getting the Moon phase book from another user to read, and then he request I pass it on so I will give to one of you and then pass it to the other. Bayshore I also have mapping trophy whitetails I would loan out once I get into my new house and un packed. Just send me a reminder in a few weeks please
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:44 am

Ok cool i appreciate that

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:55 am

If hunting suburban areas..the urban deer complex. Good read

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:07 am

Guys, check your public libraries. They have a lot of these books or the ability to get them from another library in their system.
PeteA

Unread postby PeteA » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:13 am

Hal Blood's book are very good. Lots of good info especially if you hunt areas where the only "crops" are trees. I took notes from all of my hunting books and Blood's first book filled more legal pads than most of my others combined.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:13 am

I really didn't find the moon book to be that great- what did you guys pull from it and find to be true (for your experiences)?
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:18 am

I love all the suggestions. Gjs4 I'm not sure how the moon book will be but many great hunters use the moon for different things. One thing I'm trying to learn about is overhead and underfoot and so forth. One guy his name is Adam hays I want to say don't quote me on that has killed 3 deer over 200' and supposedly did them on red moon days. Also something I want to check out. Might be myths but with people like andrae, Dan, and other big buck killers using it is just something I want to try. The book may not be a good read for me either, I will let you know. I'm just trying to figure out the moon haha

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:48 am

gjs4 wrote:I really didn't find the moon book to be that great- what did you guys pull from it and find to be true (for your experiences)?

I bought the DVD set and did not feel it was worth the plastic it was burned on.

Gave it to an Icon on this site and he had the same opinion.

We both agreed that it didn't work or make sense to us... I know of others that swear bye it - to each to own I suppose.

I've gone the route of testing theories about moon, barometric pressure, scents, cover scents.

I've learned that, the wind effects, scouting more than hunting and stand access has been the difference in my small successes.

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:45 pm

Nice input guys!! Thank you very much

rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:06 pm

I have read Murray's book. I did not think it was worth the read. Lot of babbling. The one thing I believe in a little is the moon underfoot and overhead. On days that these times fall within daylight hrs are better days to hunt. I believe weather conditions trump this though. The way I look at is we all have just so many days to hunt, just hunt season is to short to wait for perfect days.

There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:13 pm

That is why I am enjoy reading all these books and dans dvd's and everyone's philosophy. I want to use a little bit of all of it to make myself a better hunter!!

rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Bill Winke has some good stuff. If you go online to midwest whitetail, he has some good free vids on creeks and what makes some of his stands good.

There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:59 pm

Rutnstrut wrote:Guys, check your public libraries. They have a lot of these books or the ability to get them from another library in their system.

This is how I got mapping trophy bucks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”