No Age limit for hunting in wisconsin

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: No Age limit for hunting in wisconsin

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Love it. Should be the decision of the parent to determine when they are ready.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:36 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Love it. Should be the decision of the parent to determine when they are ready.

[ Post made via Android ] [img]http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/images/
mobile/Android.png[/img]

I agree. They passed it in Michigan a few years ago. My uncle took his 7 year old son out for opening day. He took his first deer a doe.

Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:38 pm

i dont have a problem with it. I feel there are some kids who mature earlier than others and like bass said, it should be up to the parents to decide if there ready for it or not.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:56 pm

Peeps22 wrote:i dont have a problem with it. I feel there are some kids who mature earlier than others and like bass said, it should be up to the parents to decide if there ready for it or not.

Yep.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:08 pm

I don't like it. 10 is young enough. So if a parent thinks a kid should be able to drive a car at 12 that would be okay too. A line has to be drawn at some point. Like if there was no speed limit.

rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:43 pm

Don't agree with this. Let's face it,some parents are not mature enough to make this call. 10 is plenty young.

There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:04 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Love it. Should be the decision of the parent to determine when they are ready.

That's how it is in New Hampster:)

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:08 pm

I agree 100%.

the g1

Unread postby the g1 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:51 pm

My 7 year old shot a doe this year here in Michigan with a crossbow during the muzzle loader season. He thought it was the best thing ever.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:18 pm

Should be the parents decision... Kids are driven away from hunting by having to wait, or take long classes. The argument that some parents are not "mature enough" don't fly with me. Show me some stats that prove this is dangerous... I have seen nothing but good reports from the states already doing this...

Its similar to when concealed carry was discussed in Wisconsin. The Liberals tried to paint it as it would be like the wild west with shoot outs. Did you see that happen? How many conservatives believed that propaganda? A lot! Yet no body with concealed carry is robbing or murdering anyone and over 100 violent crimes were stopped by card carriers.... When these bad hunting parents suddenly show up encouraging there kids to spray bullets in the direction of people or homes, then we can deal with it. For now, its working in other states.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:39 pm

On principal, I completely agree with what Dan posted, but then you look at some of what you see. Use the back to back video's you posted about having to put down a wounded deer as an example, and I become a little more hesitant. You have stated that there are issues with the guys hunting next to that place. This provides an opportunity for them to have young children out there who clearly won't be taught hunting ethics, and worst case, could cause even more issues. I have a three and a five year old, so spend a fair bit of time with kids from 2-10 years old right now. I can't think of many of them that I think would be emotionally/physically ready for actual hunting. I do totally support the right of their parents to make that call though.

I think you can include kids in the outdoors and not push them away without them having to be a shooter. Heck, many, if not most, of us waited until we were 12, and are still all in. The thought process that kids not being able to kill an animal pushes them away kind of floats with the instant gratification element that is seeping into our society everywhere. I also think it can put too much focus on the actual killing part. You can teach patience as a parent too.

I'm just really not sure where I stand on this one. Take this group as a representative sample of the Wisconsin hunting public, and I'm all for it. Taking a more realistic sample of the 600+K hunter in the state... I'm less convinced it is a good idea. Sadly, I think you will see plenty of an extra buck for dad/mom, which does nothing but create bad images and bad habits even earlier in life, but those kids are already probably getting that example set for them. Not an easy call to me.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:33 am

Sadly, I think you will see plenty of an extra buck for dad/mom, which does nothing but create bad images and bad habits even earlier in life, but those kids are already probably getting that example set for them. Not an easy call to me.

I did not read the article, so maybe im wrong? but I was under the understanding that the dad forfeited his tag if the kid shot something? Are the kids not using Dad or Moms tag?
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:41 am

The problem I have is Ive watched and helped alot of young kids handle bows. And firearms. The vast majority aren't ready much before 10 and younger physically for it even youth model. The ones that are make it unfair for the ones that are too small. Now you got big Johnny talking about going at school and little Greg not ready. Greg is going to talk his parents into because he doesn't want to be left out. Even though really he is not ready. Both of these kids can enjoy the outdoors and 10 isn't that far off. But why make it so only some can enjoy at parents discretion and some are left out. Or worse yet go before ready and have bad experience. The first week of archery practice I'm always turning bows down with dad's pushing to get there kids into a good draw weight I fear it will be worse if this goes through. I'm gathering this off of 70plus kids in a shooting sports program not a couple at home. Volunteer for this without your kid in it or a learn to hunt. I think many would change there mind.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:48 am

kurt wrote:The problem I have is Ive watched and helped alot of young kids handle bows. And firearms. The vast majority aren't ready much before 10 and younger physically for it even youth model. The ones that are make it unfair for the ones that are too small. Now you got big Johnny talking about going at school and little Greg not ready. Greg is going to talk his parents into because he doesn't want to be left out. Even though really he is not ready. Both of these kids can enjoy the outdoors and 10 isn't that far off. But why make it so only some can enjoy at parents discretion and some are left out. Or worse yet go before ready and have bad experience. The first week of archery practice I'm always turning bows down with dad's pushing to get there kids into a good draw weight I fear it will be worse if this goes through. I'm gathering this off of 70plus kids in a shooting sports program not a couple at home. Volunteer for this without your kid in it or a learn to hunt. I think many would change there mind.

Doesn't that happen already with kids having birthdays before and after the hunting season?

If your kid is mentally ready but perhaps not physically capable of hunting with a bow or a high powered rifle, why can't the kid legally shoot squirrels and rabbits with a .22, pellet gun, etc?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”