Constant Pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fishlips
500 Club

Constant Pressure

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:33 am

Not sure if someone has posted something about this, but I was listening to a wired to hunt podcast with the Lakosky's on it. Lee was talking about how he is constantly on his properties and around the deer on the properties and putting pressure on the deer constantly. It was pretty much along the lines of conditioning them to feel safe or safer around humans. I have no doubt it is an effective strategy and clearly works for them, but does anyone else think that is crossing a line? That may be a harsh way of putting it, but it didn't sound right when I heard it.

whitetailassasin

Re: Constant Pressure

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:16 am

My personal opinion is the Lakosky's arent putting the kind of pressure guys in high pressure states are talking about, on his own lands. During hunting season he regulates it, and before hunting season, I doubt very highly he's stomping around in the bedding and creating the kind of pressure that drives deer away. Farming, planting, etc, isn't putting that pressure on. But I do believe that deer can become conditioned to that in which he does put on. They know his smell and where it's normal to smell him or her and where it isn't. Just like farmers all over have happened. That's the difference to me.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:20 am

Yep what WA said, you could easily go on walks or ride your land in a low impact way and get the deer use to you. It's not a terrible idea. Personally I think the biggest difference on their land vs public is the young bucks are never shot at so they don't have much reason to fear humans growing up. They are still plenty wary animals especially when they get older but that combo of no pressure on young bucks and getting deer use to people can certainly create a paradise for hunters.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:33 am

I remember that one. What he said was that about once a week he hits every food plot. Refilling feeders and changing cards in cameras. So still pretty minimal. But yes conditioning the deer abit to activity and human odor.

Not sure I'd call it cheating though!
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:53 am

I think the thing that threw me off with the whole podcast is the feeder/conditioning thing. It's just not a way I would want to hunt. No doubt they know what they are doing with growing and shooting big deer at an impressive clip. It was just kind of one of those moments where what they were saying didn't really appeal to me.

I guess at the heart of it, it is not different than what most people desire to do with their properties in their efforts to get big deer to move earlier.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:21 am

There is a huge difference between presence and pressure. Deer in the suburbs have human presence. Deer in heavily hunted areas have pressure. The difference is pressure has gun blasting and constant harassment going on. Presence has very little torment associated with it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:46 am

whitetailassasin wrote:My personal opinion is the Lakosky's arent putting the kind of pressure guys in high pressure states are talking about, on his own lands. During hunting season he regulates it, and before hunting season, I doubt very highly he's stomping around in the bedding and creating the kind of pressure that drives deer away. Farming, planting, etc, isn't putting that pressure on. But I do believe that deer can become conditioned to that in which he does put on. They know his smell and where it's normal to smell him or her and where it isn't. Just like farmers all over have happened. That's the difference to me.

Completely agree.

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:59 am

My opinion they hunt 5yr old deer that they chose to let survive. We are hunting 5 yr old deer you learned to survive. The mistakes their deer made as 2yr olds had no consequence so there is a good chance they will repete it. Public pressured deer don't always have that option. I think their success comes more from great management than it does anything else. More power to them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:01 pm

Stanley wrote:There is a huge difference between presence and pressure. Deer in the suburbs have human presence. Deer in heavily hunted areas have pressure. The difference is pressure has gun blasting and constant harassment going on. Presence has very little torment associated with it.

Good post Stan!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:35 pm

I have as much in common with Lee and Tiffany as adult films do to making marriages work

13000 ac - no really

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Deer can be trained like most any other animal. There's not really a distinct line between wild and tame. I am sure you can get a 200" buck to eat out of your hand if you work at it enough and start when he is a fawn.

Growing big bucks on large exclusive access estates and hunting down pressured big bucks are similar only in the hoped for outcome. Whichever you are interested in - go for it. But don't confuse the two.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:05 pm

It you listen to the podcast the "pressure" or "condishioning" is on food plots and feeders, he states they never enter the woods until the rut and even then it's minimal. There are areas in all woods that deer expect to encounter human scent, then areas they don't and when they do you will see a negative reaction. It's really not much different than bed hunting on public, just that on public the area the deer don't expect to encounter human scent is their very small staging area and when they do encounter our scent there the gig is up.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:02 pm

Presence does not equal pressure.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:03 pm

I preach "low pressure" a lot... But, if you read between the lines I often say that having a couple areas you can travel your property where the deer expect you is a good thing... I am pretty sure Lakosky is just walking around the fields and trails and staying out of bedding.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:19 pm

Some of my hunting buddies believe that In a setting where deer live close to people u can condition them to ur scent where they don't freak as bad when they smell it. Kinda like hey smelled that scent before hasn't bothered me yet kinda reaction. But in a large public area way back in where deer don't see or smell humans much I doubt u have the same reaction.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”