Elevation change?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

chaz_fmj

Elevation change?

Unread postby chaz_fmj » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:45 am

OK lets say I am wanting to scout for beds. I have seen that a buck likes to bed high about 1/3 from the top to get the best wind advantage. lets say I am walking ridges that the elevation is not consistant. I walk about 1/2 a mile and then the hill goes up to a peak and then back down 1/2 a mile later. what do I do? do I go up with the elevation or pick a 1/3 from my lowest hill and stick with that. I am in the Appalachian mnts. in eastern ky. The ridges are not consistant in elevation. Sorry if this is dumb but I am trying to figure this out.

Bowtech Invasion 29.5/60#/Easton fmj 400/Ramcats
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Elevation change?

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:54 am

chaz_fmj wrote:OK lets say I am wanting to scout for beds. I have seen that a buck likes to bed high about 1/3 from the top to get the best wind advantage. lets say I am walking ridges that the elevation is not consistant. I walk about 1/2 a mile and then the hill goes up to a peak and then back down 1/2 a mile later. what do I do? do I go up with the elevation or pick a 1/3 from my lowest hill and stick with that. I am in the Appalachian mnts. in eastern ky. The ridges are not consistant in elevation. Sorry if this is dumb but I am trying to figure this out.

Look around till you find beds. You will start to notice that they are mostly in the same area, and same elevations... Look more in areas that mimic what you found... Its hard to get more detailed then that cause your specific hills/mountains may have different heights, and tree types, etc, they will be mostly on the leeward sides, just might very a little in elevation.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: Elevation change?

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:06 am

I have seen here in the hills at times a pretty decent change in elevation to where the bucks bed. I don't know if that is because of the rolling hills and a lot of the pressure is on the tops of these ridges so if say the bucks were to bed on that 1/3 elevation they could be seen by hunters on the tops. I have noticed more and more the bucks bedding a little farther down and I believe that is because of the amount of pressure the hills recieve on top so they will drop farther off the edge and bed on a small point or a bench. I do believe in the ideal situation the bucks would prefer to bed at the 1/3 elevation but they are gonna be where they are feel safe and can detect danger. That's just my experience with the hills I hunt which are rolling hills for the most part. In that situation it just takes more boots on the ground. I try to think where most of the hunting pressure is coming from and then look at the areas that are out of sight from there on the leeward side and the thicker the better.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”