How many 160"+ gross bucks have you killed with a BOW?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How many 160"+ gross bucks have you killed with a bow?

71%
20%
4%
1%
2%
5+
2%

Total votes: 97
Bird

Re: How many 160"+ gross bucks have you killed with a BOW?

Unread postby Bird » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:56 am

Zero. Still working on cracking the 150" mark.

5 or 6 upper 140's which I am proud of, but time to take it to the next level. I wish the hunting seasons were different in MN to push the gun season out of the rut to protect some bucks, but I have to contend with what we have.

Next year is looking good for multiple mature animals on their feet.

moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:57 am

I put 4, but in 2007 I shot a buck that I had been hunting for 3 years that probably went around 170. I had an 18 acre lot owned by a really small church practically across the street from where I grew up. I got access to that property during a snowstorm when a bunch of cars got stuck in the lot there (not paved) - and we went up there and dragged a bunch of the stuck cars out. It backed up to a huge farm, connected to bigger ground, and looking back on it - if I had the resources I had now and the technology and equipment available, it would have been a done deal for this buck. I had two ladder stands and a hang-on at that time on this property and the whole property was situated around a big choked out creek bed that ran down the western edge of it. With a prevailing western wind it was pretty killer.

Anyways I first saw that buck in the 2005ish timeframe. My dad missed him in 2006 and 2007. He didn't hunt much and didn't know too much about deer hunting for that matter - but it was close to the house and I pestered him enough that he would come out with me from time to time and dual hunt it with me. In 2008, I was hunting in the first or second week of November and this buck came up out of the creek and into the oak flat I was hunting on. He started getting behind me and I shot and he took off down a smaller creek that ran out in front of me into a big field. The big field was owned by a different family but they knew me from growing up. They didn't let me hunt it but they let me train our dogs out there. I followed that buck into that field and it started really, really pouring rain. I never found that buck. I wish I knew then what I do now about looking for deer as well. Two days later, I was going into hunt and there was a hummer parked in the lot with a guy sleeping in it. I knocked on the window and asked if I could help him. He told me he was looking for the owner of the property and he was looking into obtaining hunting rights. I told him I hunted there. The pastor was pretty adamant about no one else accessing the property, but I accessed why he wanted permission to hunt there. He told me he found a really big dead buck the day before about a mile down the road that looked to be hit by a car. I asked him to see it and he beat around the bush for a while, then some more. Finally he opened up the back of his truck. The buck I shot was in there. He had a pile of other racks in there as well - he stated he did taxidermy work and that's why he had them in there. I told him I shot that buck, I shot that buck, I shot it right here, blah blah blah. That went on for like 30 minutes. He had a tag for it. I got really pissed. He left. I think I was maybe 18 at the time so he probably figured dumb kid, I'm rolling out of here. I took a picture of the buck while it was in the back of that truck. I had a shed off of it from 3 years prior. The deer's beams were easily over 26" and it's brows, mass, and everything else were incredible for a mainframe 8.

Anyways that would have been #5 if that story had ended differently, but I had without doubt killed that buck and I would imagine, due to that guy's presence there in particular, that the buck had died very close to that spot since this was less than 48 hours later and this guy was just hanging out in the parking lot.

I say it all the time but I will continue saying it. I wish then that I knew what I know now - deer were bigger, there was less hunting/pressure, less deer, more habitat, just all around much, much better conditions. A quick call to the game warden, property owner, or whoever else could have solved that problem quickly but I was young, uninformed, and much too kind-hearted and non-confrontational. This is that buck.

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:12 am

I have one that is 162 and change, shot on private in WI. I really wanted to lie and say a different state, people are going to think we have good hunting in WI;) To those that have more than one, you guys are awesome it is no small accomplishment.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:47 am

That is quite the giant mainframe 8 Moondoondude. I wonder if that guy was just a poacher with all those racks in his vehicle and acting evasive like that. Too bad you didn't zoom out a bit with your camera and get his plate in the picture. I hit and lost a really big one with my bow when I was 17 that haunts me too. I didn't recover it just due to my incompetence/ignorance at the time, jumping him repeatedly on the trail with a gut hit. I would have easily recovered him if I knew what I was doing. Still makes me sick. Its the only really big one that I ever hit&lost.
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:53 am

1 in 1997, just over 160" gross with 5" of deduction.
Wi. Private

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:55 am

1 Wisconsin. 2011. the next year I shot a 190 and got a bad hit, my amish. neighbor got him in gun season.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:13 pm

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”