150"+ year/state/public or private

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

150"+

150"+ private
26%
150"+ public
15%
Never shot a 150"
58%

Total votes: 130
PK_
500 Club

Re: 150"+ year/state/public or private

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Czabs wrote:164" WI Public 2012

[glow=red]I think killing mega bucks comes naturally to some people[/glow]...I have to rely on lots of scouting, lots of hunting, lots of driving, and lots of my time to even find bucks over 150" ON PUBLIC LAND...

Location and stacking the odds in your favor help...like many have said...if they aren' there, you aint gonna kill em.

I don't know how that could quite be possible. But it seems so.

I was thinking about it the other day. I have a family member who has killed a bunch of 'trophy' deer for the areas we hunt. I have probably killed 2x the amount of mature bucks as he has, but it seems every time he does get a mature, it has a big rack. He doesn't do anything special with running cams or finding and hunting specific deer or anything like that. We basically hunt the same way, in the same areas…

Also, I met an older guy who lives in north central FL and owns 40acres. His land backs up to a giant preserve with 0 hunting. He has 5 bucks in last 10 years or so that gross over 150", one grosses in the 170"s. All from his little 40 acres in the middle of Florida, pretty crazy. Those bucks are registered in the record book so these are legit.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:44 pm

PK_ wrote:
Czabs wrote:164" WI Public 2012

[glow=red]I think killing mega bucks comes naturally to some people[/glow]...I have to rely on lots of scouting, lots of hunting, lots of driving, and lots of my time to even find bucks over 150" ON PUBLIC LAND...

Location and stacking the odds in your favor help...like many have said...if they aren' there, you aint gonna kill em.

I don't know how that could quite be possible. But it seems so.

I was thinking about it the other day. I have a family member who has killed a bunch of 'trophy' deer for the areas we hunt. I have probably killed 2x the amount of mature bucks as he has, but it seems every time he does get a mature, it has a big rack. He doesn't do anything special with running cams or finding and hunting specific deer or anything like that. We basically hunt the same way, in the same areas…

Also, I met an older guy who lives in north central FL and owns 40acres. His land backs up to a giant preserve with 0 hunting. He has 5 bucks in last 10 years or so that gross over 150", one grosses in the 170"s. All from his little 40 acres in the middle of Florida, pretty crazy. Those bucks are registered in the record book so these are legit.

PK,

Considering how well you've done in Florida, you would do very well if you travel and hunt in big buck states. Success may not come instantly but you may be surprised. Don't try and second guess it by looking at the odds etc...Just go hunt man! You gotta go to make the dream a reality.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:15 pm

I would agree with MOBIGBUCKS. PK every time you post about killing a buck I mentally tack on 40 inches of antler for comparison to a buck up here in the midwest. If you came up to my neck of the woods it would be a wolf among sheep. So, yea some have a knack for it for sure, but I think you are one of them :lol:
Scoutking07
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WisconsinWhitetailTrailCam/

Unread postby Scoutking07 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:48 am

I really enjoy reading this thread. There are some truly great hunters on this site and to know just hard difficult it is for all the stars to align to kill a 150"+ buck just seems incredible. In the public big woods my family and hunt, there are some really great bucks but in the 15 years we have been running cameras, I believe we have gotten photos of two bucks that might have cracked 150". My father shot a beautiful 156" 14 point my first season of gun hunting and that is the largest public land buck anyone in my family has ever taken. I've been lucky enough to take 4 mature bucks (4.5 yrs+) but none of them score over 140". We all play the numbers game a bit, even though we know that any mature buck is trophy enough, but gosh it would be awesome to knock down a 150" one day.
Always pick a spot!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:10 am

Scoutking07 wrote:I really enjoy reading this thread. There are some truly great hunters on this site and to know just hard difficult it is for all the stars to align to kill a 150"+ buck just seems incredible. In the public big woods my family and hunt, there are some really great bucks but in the 15 years we have been running cameras, I believe we have gotten photos of two bucks that might have cracked 150". My father shot a beautiful 156" 14 point my first season of gun hunting and that is the largest public land buck anyone in my family has ever taken. I've been lucky enough to take 4 mature bucks (4.5 yrs+) but none of them score over 140". We all play the numbers game a bit, even though we know that any mature buck is trophy enough, but gosh it would be awesome to knock down a 150" one day.

If you were hunting Southern WI or West WI... you would have definetly kill one over 150"
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:45 am

2010- IL Public, 2013- IL Private, 2014- IL Public, 2015- IL Public

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
sethg

Unread postby sethg » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:51 am

Brett wrote:2010- IL Public, 2013- IL Private, 2014- IL Public, 2015- IL Public

Dad gum man! that's awesome! all from the same public ground?

Can we see some pics??? :L:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:04 am

The poll kind of solidifies what many have said "it's tough to knock down a 150". It's not so much about the skill of the hunter, it's way more about being in an area with opportunity. :think: The big time pros on great ground, often give us a false sense of what reality is.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:53 am

KS Private 2011
KS Private 2015
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 am

Stanley wrote:The poll kind of solidifies what many have said "it's tough to knock down a 150". It's not so much about the skill of the hunter, it's way more about being in an area with opportunity. :think: The big time pros on great ground, often give us a false sense of what reality is.

You are 100% right about that. And making the shot count. Many guys are great at scouting/finding them...but at the moment of truth, struggle to get it done.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:55 am

Stanley wrote:The poll kind of solidifies what many have said "it's tough to knock down a 150". It's not so much about the skill of the hunter, it's way more about being in an area with opportunity. :think: The big time pros on great ground, often give us a false sense of what reality is.

I agree, the "PRO's" give a false sense of reality. Having a buck that size in your area also plays an important role. But the "lucky" and also the "elite" will stumble upon them(lucky) and also be hunted down by skill(elite). Good points Stan.

G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:08 am

2005 Michigan public
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:06 am

IMHO people get way to wrapped around antler size. A 4 1/2+ buck is a trophy no matter what he is sporting on his head. If you are not in an area that produces 150+ bucks in all reality so what. Go knock a five year old and know that he is every bit as tough as one that carries a 150+ crown...... IMHO

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nathan5004

Unread postby nathan5004 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:22 pm

165" PA public 2014

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:28 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:IMHO people get way to wrapped around antler size. A 4 1/2+ buck is a trophy no matter what he is sporting on his head. If you are not in an area that produces 150+ bucks in all reality so what. Go knock a five year old and know that he is every bit as tough as one that carries a 150+ crown...... IMHO

X2 well said. Just as impressive to me

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”