Tagged out with a heart shot!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mrjbigfoot
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MikeRTJohnson

Tagged out with a heart shot!

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:00 pm

Had a fun adventure down to some beautiful private land in Hocking County for yesterday & today! I had one last tag to fill & this is our late 3 day muzzleloader season. Had a 1st ever chit-fizzle muzzleloader miss-fire yesterday evening & all I can figure is I must've had a little oil residue in the barrel but I got it on video so that was cool. You can see the 2 pyrodex pellets tumble out of the barrel fizzling away. Then I filled my last tag this morning, before the snow storm blew in and did a recovery video. The wind was blowing so hard it blew my blind over when I was gutting the deer! LOL! Did a slide show & loaded 2 videos:

Miss-fire video (Warning, I do say a cuss word):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFaTw4vM9kQ

Heart shot recovery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdUvz0t6Q8

Slideshow of some of the pictures I took + a couple video snips of the chit-fizzle:

http://s37.photobucket.com/user/mikejba ... ing%20Trip

8-)

Edcyclopedia

Re: Tagged out with a heart shot!

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:12 pm

Nice job!

Tumbleweed blind was funny...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:58 pm

That chit-fizzle was crazy, never seen anything like that before...

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
mrjbigfoot

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:13 pm

I've never had a chit-fizzle before with my in-line... I was worried that my pyrodex was old but I fired another 209 primer then reloaded & fired another shot that was fine & obviously killed a deer with it this morning! ;)
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:19 pm

:lol: nice man congrats!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:56 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:29 pm

Hahahahahaha congrats!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:24 am

mrjbigfoot wrote:I've never had a chit-fizzle before with my in-line... I was worried that my pyrodex was old but I fired another 209 primer then reloaded & fired another shot that was fine & obviously killed a deer with it this morning! ;)

Cool videos. Congrats on the deer!

I am wondering if that could be caused by not getting the bullet seated on the pellets. Consistent seating make a big difference in muzzleloaders but I have never seen anything quite that before! Otherwise, yea there must have been a drop of oil or moisture in there, but then I would think that would just be a misfire or a low powered pop. Lucky it wasn't dry you could have started a forest fire :lol:
mrjbigfoot

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:54 am

I think with the power belts, the skirt of the bullet scrapes whatever residue that's in the barrel & pushes it down around the pellets when you load it. I had it tamped down really good but likely had some Rem Oil left in the barrel & the chamber where the primer seats in. I had loaded it in the morning & didn't shoot till evening so any oil may have been moistening the pellets.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:51 am

mrjbigfoot wrote:I think with the power belts, the skirt of the bullet scrapes whatever residue that's in the barrel & pushes it down around the pellets when you load it. I had it tamped down really good but likely had some Rem Oil left in the barrel & the chamber where the primer seats in. I had loaded it in the morning & didn't shoot till evening so any oil may have been moistening the pellets.

Yea good point. I thought I have experienced about every malfunction possible with muzzleloaders having used them a lot over 20 years but never saw fizzing pellets like your vid before. Looks like you shot sparklers at the deer :lol:
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:23 am

JoeRE wrote:Yea good point. I thought I have experienced about every malfunction possible with muzzleloaders having used them a lot over 20 years but never saw fizzing pellets like your vid before. [glow=red]Looks like you shot sparklers at the deer[/glow] :lol:

There's the next million dollar idea... :lol:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:11 am

rbuckleyjr1 wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Yea good point. I thought I have experienced about every malfunction possible with muzzleloaders having used them a lot over 20 years but never saw fizzing pellets like your vid before. [glow=red]Looks like you shot sparklers at the deer[/glow] :lol:

Not to derail the thread but I have kinda wanted to shoot a deer on video with a tracer bullet. You can find them in a variety of calibers, but I don't know of any tracer bullets for muzzleloaders....surprised that hasn't caught on in the deer hunting video industry. Maybe you are on to something Bigfoot! :lol:
mrjbigfoot

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:20 am

LOL!!! I did a clean slow motion video edit cut off short of my foul comment so I could share it with Smokey Bear on Twitter & FB. It's pretty cool to watch it in slow motion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxiQCqrYlaM

8-)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:17 am

JoeRE wrote:
rbuckleyjr1 wrote:

Not to derail the thread but I have kinda wanted to shoot a deer on video with a tracer bullet. You can find them in a variety of calibers, but I don't know of any tracer bullets for muzzleloaders....surprised that hasn't caught on in the deer hunting video industry. Maybe you are on to something Bigfoot! :lol:

I think hunting with tracers is illegal in most states. It also seems like it would be pretty cruel to shoot an animal with a tracer round. They burn extremely hot and it seems like having one lodged in the animal could be about like having a blow torch going on inside you while your dying. That would really suck. Plus it would cauterize the wound.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
mrjbigfoot

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:23 am

Yeah, I've never had any interest to use tracer bullets for any reason. Cool to watch military videos where they're using them to shoot at terrorists but that's about it for me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”