The Benjamin Pioneer Airbow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: The Benjamin Pioneer Airbow

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:48 am

Well....what appears to be a canned hunt is what is disgusting to me. Surprised no one else thinks that?? No I don't have proof other than free range "wild" bison hunting opportunities are very rare and probably do not occur in mid-summer on heavily grazed range land. Also, nothing is said about where it took place and SILENCE often says a lot. When I butcher livestock a far preferable method of dispatching them is a bullet to the head...not needlessly poking a hole in their lungs and watching them suffocate.

As far as the weapon, it looks like it works pretty slick but no, definitely should not be legalized as archery equipment...unfortunately that is just what many archers said about compounds in the 70s/80s and again about crossbows in the last 10 years or so.

Its a slippery slope. I wonder if we are half way down yet, and what the bottom is going to look like. :cry:

SRWbowhunter

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:59 am

I think it's a cool product and would be fun to shoot but agree with everyone else that it should definetely not be allowed during archery season

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:03 am

I guess I wouldn't have a problem with it in ML or gun seasons, but sure as heck has no place in archery season.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:06 am

Looks like the only thing it is good for is a tool to put food on the table quietly in a SHTF situation. throw in a 25 cal air gun for smaller game and you have food on the table pretty often. BUT, this is in no way archery. It is a firearm. It uses expanding gasses to propel a projectile, it doesn't matter if that projectile is lead, alloy, or arrow...
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:12 am

The very same arguement was, and can still be made about crossbows and compound bows with 85% let off.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:13 am

JoeRE wrote:Well....what appears to be a canned hunt is what is disgusting to me. Surprised no one else thinks that?? No I don't have proof other than free range "wild" bison hunting opportunities are very rare and probably do not occur in mid-summer on heavily grazed range land. Also, nothing is said about where it took place and SILENCE often says a lot. When I butcher livestock a far preferable method of dispatching them is a bullet to the head...not needlessly poking a hole in their lungs and watching them suffocate.

Exactly what I thought. What a disgusting way to introduce a product. Might as well been a Hereford at Old McDonald's Farm. Lost my respect for him.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:22 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I saw this coming years ago when we fought for no bows with more then 50% let off except for people with disabilities. The line will continue to move now and archery seasons and bag limits as we know it will soon be a thing of the past. The compound industry opened this can of worms by not regulating themselves..... I personally don't see much difference between bows with 85% let off, trigger release, lighted sights, Drop away rests, etc... And crossbows that have 100%.

I think the biggest thing keeping modern archery equipment tied to traditional bowhunting is the timing n precision to get within range, ready your bow, and draw without being seen. The raise n shoot is not bowhunting in my opinion, whether it be crossbow or this thing.

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:36 am

Not to get too far off topic but I've heard from multiple people through the grapevine of guys staying in their stand at night during full moon with their crossbows. The guys that will buy these in my opinion, are the same guys who already shoot crossbows. I doubt it will add a huge amount of hunters to the woods. I could be wrong though of course.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:52 am

I get a kick out of all the guys who were ok with introducing crossbows into archery seasons, but are all up in arms about them pushing to legalize this. You couldn't see this coming???? They say it's to introduce more hunters lol, it's all about the $$$$$. Just keep diluting the sport, and it will be gone. It's a slippery slope.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:09 am

solocam88 wrote:I get a kick out of all the guys who were ok with introducing crossbows into archery seasons, but are all up in arms about them pushing to legalize this. You couldn't see this coming???? They say it's to introduce more hunters lol, it's all about the $$$$$. Just keep diluting the sport, and it will be gone. It's a slippery slope.

Many of us said the same thing about compound bows back in the early 80s.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:19 am

If they're going to legalize these they may as well just open gun season all year. It's a gun that shoots arrows. How easy does it need to be? While they're at it, just let people shoot deer out the window too! I have to admit I didn't watch the video before my first post. I went back and watched it, what a joke. Shockley is a tool, it's confirmed!

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:22 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
solocam88 wrote:I get a kick out of all the guys who were ok with introducing crossbows into archery seasons, but are all up in arms about them pushing to legalize this. You couldn't see this coming???? They say it's to introduce more hunters lol, it's all about the $$$$$. Just keep diluting the sport, and it will be gone. It's a slippery slope.

Many of us said the same thing about compound bows back in the early 80s.

That may be true Dave, but you have to admit, this takes it to a whole new level.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:24 am

DaveT1963 wrote: Many of us said the same thing about compound bows back in the early 80s.

100% agree....and right now I am a compound bow hunter with 80% letoff. But I am not going to be a bigot and deny that gives me a massive advantage. Night and day difference between a recurve and a high letoff compound with all the trimmings, night and day difference between a compound and a crossbow, night and day difference between a crossbow and this airbow. Add all that up and you have a whole lot of night and days. I am not going to claim to know what is "right" and yes it worries me :?

The "hunt" still torques me the most. That is a far bigger poison to hunting IMO.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:38 am

9pt wrote:States are likely to allow this device to gain from sales taxes and other weapons taxes. Wish it wasn't so often about the money.

and archery license sales. In today's world of reduced government budgets, they look for ways to increase revenue. Allowing this during gun season adds no dollars to F&G budgets
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:00 am

The PCP air setup will be cost prohibitive. And if its requirements are like an air gun You need at minimum a 3500 psi compressor or like 30 minutes on a hand pump to charge it. My guess is it uses more air to shoot an arrow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”