The Benjamin Pioneer Airbow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: The Benjamin Pioneer Airbow

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:57 am

GRUD wrote:Did some checking. Air bow - $900, scuba tank or air tank - $150, cheapest compressor on the market to produce 3000 psi - $1200. You will also need regulators and air hoses etc. lotta money to get into and it probably only gets a few shots per charge. Probably loud and super ugly. A standard scuba tank can only handle like 3500lbs if I remember correctly so you dont get many charges per tank refill. To go up to a 4500 psi rated air tank would be a lot more money for the tank and compressor, probably like $5,000 more unless you want to go to the scuba shop or fire station for air refills and pay each time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I'd let my neighbors wife blow that thing up, Lord knows she has enough hot air to do it quicker than the compressor.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:21 am

WA, I don't mind compounds ..... I don't like it when guys sling arrows at big game at 50+ yards and the ones that are not dedicated to Bowhunting. Most guys are pretty ethical from what I've seen. I do think that there should be limits on technology and that we need to quit trying to use technology to make up for poor shooting/hunting skills. I really don't know anyone in person that shots trad.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:28 am

Cant see the vid here, but I get the jist of it. PCP pellet guns are nothing short of awesome. If not for the high initial cost to get started, Id have one already. Google Tedsholdover and check out his videos. 8-) That aside, stuffing an arrow down a gun bore has been done long ago. You never heard of guys cutting the crimp off a .410 shot shell, dumping the bbs and loading it in a single shot and stuffing an arrow down the bore? Rumored it could go through a car door. :shock: Anyway to be honest, I dont see any difference between this and a xbow. Yeah you gotta cock the xbow, but pumping this would get old in a hurry as well. Once loaded, rest it on your knee, click of the safety and fire it. I can see the day coming when we dont have "seasons" for different weapons. They will just say Deer season starts Oct 1 or whatever and your bag limit is X and you hunt with whatever weapon you want. The people pushing for the easy street dont care about the seasons, they only care about killing something and the method is irrelevant. The lawmakers see $$$ and people wanting it and there ya go.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:30 am

DaveT1963 wrote:WA, I don't mind compounds ..... I don't like it when guys sling arrows at big game at 50+ yards and the ones that are not dedicated to Bowhunting. Most guys are pretty ethical from what I've seen. I do think that there should be limits on technology and that we need to quit trying to use technology to make up for poor shooting/hunting skills. I really don't know anyone in person that shots trad.

Your not alone my friend. 8-)

http://www.tbot.org/
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:59 am

JoeRE wrote:Well....what appears to be a canned hunt is what is disgusting to me. Surprised no one else thinks that?? No I don't have proof other than free range "wild" bison hunting opportunities are very rare and probably do not occur in mid-summer on heavily grazed range land. Also, nothing is said about where it took place and SILENCE often says a lot. When I butcher livestock a far preferable method of dispatching them is a bullet to the head...not needlessly poking a hole in their lungs and watching them suffocate.

As far as the weapon, it looks like it works pretty slick but no, definitely should not be legalized as archery equipment...unfortunately that is just what many archers said about compounds in the 70s/80s and again about crossbows in the last 10 years or so.

Its a slippery slope. I wonder if we are half way down yet, and what the bottom is going to look like. :cry:

Agree on the canned hunt thing.... I've kind of been a fan of the Shockey's in the past. he's always been commercial, but has been a pretty solid voice for hunters. His episode of the Joe Rogan Podcast is really good and when Eva was on Wired to Hunt it was also excellent, but this was certainly a little off-putting...sell your product if you must but have a little more tact perhaps.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:15 pm

muddy wrote:In still dumbfounded at Shockey saying he couldn't believe it would work. Seriously? It shoots an arrow as accurately as a crossbow at 50 yards, but quicker, and you're "surprised"?

his reaction is what bothered me the most .......acting clueless :roll:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:52 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:WA, I don't mind compounds ..... I don't like it when guys sling arrows at big game at 50+ yards and the ones that are not dedicated to Bowhunting. Most guys are pretty ethical from what I've seen. I do think that there should be limits on technology and that we need to quit trying to use technology to make up for poor shooting/hunting skills. I really don't know anyone in person that shots trad.

I have a recurve and have wanted to get more proficient with it before I go walking the woods with it. Once I get to where I feel I can hunt with it dangerously and kill clean and quick I will start using it more just for the fun of it and difficulty.

Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 pm

That's ridiculous. But cool.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:24 pm

JoeRE wrote:Well....what appears to be a canned hunt is what is disgusting to me. Surprised no one else thinks that?? No I don't have proof other than free range "wild" bison hunting opportunities are very rare and probably do not occur in mid-summer on heavily grazed range land. Also, nothing is said about where it took place and SILENCE often says a lot. When I butcher livestock a far preferable method of dispatching them is a bullet to the head...not needlessly poking a hole in their lungs and watching them suffocate.

As far as the weapon, it looks like it works pretty slick but no, definitely should not be legalized as archery equipment...unfortunately that is just what many archers said about compounds in the 70s/80s and again about crossbows in the last 10 years or so.

Its a slippery slope. I wonder if we are half way down yet, and what the bottom is going to look like. :cry:

Totally agree.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:08 pm

If your not drawing back in front of the game your shooting, It doesn't belong in archery season or to be called archery kill. unless you have serious physical limitations you shouldnt be in the sAme season. The let off thing has gotten crazy. But you still need to pull something back. Otherwise your just shooting like a gun.

I've been kicking around going traditional. I have requirements I haven't met yet.

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:48 pm

Explains why NY just introduced a proposal for using air guns for big game....no joke .... I see why now

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:04 pm

gjs4 wrote:Explains why NY just introduced a proposal for using air guns for big game....no joke .... I see why now

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

:shock:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:13 pm

Dewey wrote:I had to laugh at Shockeys response on the second shot. At that range he would have the same exact effect with a compund bow.

It is a commercial and he has to make it look good to get his paycheck. :roll:

His acting was so bad I had to laugh out loud!

The canned hunt was pretty disgusting too.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:16 pm

Motivated wrote:
Dewey wrote:I had to laugh at Shockeys response on the second shot. At that range he would have the same exact effect with a compund bow.

It is a commercial and he has to make it look good to get his paycheck. :roll:

His acting was so bad I had to laugh out loud!

The canned hunt was pretty disgusting too.

Yeah that hunt rubbed me wrong as well. Air guns for big game are being made legal in new states every year, but they are shooting a typical pistol style bullet.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:44 am

Schubox1265 wrote:

Exactly what I thought. What a disgusting way to introduce a product. Might as well been a Hereford at Old McDonald's Farm. Lost my respect for him.

Agreed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”