Clearcuts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

michiganbirdman

Clearcuts

Unread postby michiganbirdman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:53 am

Great info here guys. I have watched the hill country dvd along with the marsh DVDs. Since I am in central Michigan I am awaiting the hunting clearcuts video. Much of the information that I have read on this forum is great information and I always look forward to learning new things. In the meantime I am still in search of the hunting clearcuts dvd. Anyone want to tackle the approach to hunting some of these new or old clearcuts that dominate this region?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

SEMObowhunter

Re: Clearcuts

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:03 am

I live in southeast Missouri and there are countless clearcuts on Forest Service land. All are 20-30 years old now though and starting to open back up. I do have one behind my house, 250 acres in size that is barren. There isn't more than 10 trees big enough to hang a stand in and 9 of them are dead haha. But in my area they are deer factories from year 1 through year 10 probably. I like year 2-5 the best. Lots of new browse, but the brush is tall and thick enough for them to bed in there. You can sit the edges and see a long way to the next hillside. Makes for good observation or rifle hunting. To bow hunt you have to find the routes where they are going into the mature timber.
TheChefHunter
Facebook: Reade Cartner

Unread postby TheChefHunter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:29 am

I live and hunt in South Carolina, in a high pressure area. The deer do travel through them and you can find monster trails running throughout but in can be hard to get them to walk through them in daylight. To hunt them I usually find the hard edge and climb up a tree, most of the deer that walk in the day light just skirt the edge and I usually find rub lines like this as well. They are great when they are thick for rabbit hunting as well!
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:04 am

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”