Rolling Hills vs Hill Country...different strategies?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SEMObowhunter

Re: Rolling Hills vs Hill Country...different strategies?

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:31 am

checkerfred wrote:
SEMObowhunter wrote: And this bed was 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the draw. I think this was influenced by the speed of the wind that day.

That just makes it more confusing for me because I figured the daytime bedding would be in the upper part of the elevation. I would assume this is because the thermal tunnel for that day had changed?

I may be off a little in my estimate of the elevation. But not by much. He was on a secondary point, off of the main point from the ridge. Ridge runs E-W, primary point runs N-S, this subtle point he was on runs SE-NW. He was definitely in the middle half to lower 1/3 of the elevation from the crest of the main ridge. I found his bed, after I jumped him, and found his tracks in the mud. They were wider than a .243 cartridge, (was carrying a gun after having hogs on my trail camera). But as to why he was bedded here, your guess is as good as mine. I'm new to all of this and still trying to wrap my feeble mind around it haha.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Rolling Hills vs Hill Country...different strategies?

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:11 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
BCO wrote:Do bucks ever bed facing up hill?

Most common instance is during the rut. Open top ridges (e.g. logging roads, clear cuts, etc) they'll often bed on the windward side facing uphill Most of these beds are rut staging beds with them in way before daylight.

This is a rare case, but I have at least a dozen examples when scouting over the years. Its a niche pattern.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Interesting... I will have to watch for that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”