BigwoodsMN 2015

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigwoodsmn

BigwoodsMN 2015

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:47 am

My crew of 5 guys shot 4 bucks. We saw dozens of bucks. One that got plugged was decent buck around that 200 pound big woods size. My dad shot it in the back of the head running away from him. Which is kind of comical but actually the bullet skipped off it's but and into the back of the head. He was trying to break it's back, up the rear, I think. I filled my freezer basically in the last hour of the last day of my MN hunt. Shot a forker facing me at 250 yards. I knew I wasn't going to get to muzzleloader hunt because my wife was 8 months pregnant and it was a little touch-and-go. So I filled the tag. Pretty lucky really, playing that "save the tag until the last possible minute" game.

I saw a lot of deer but no trophies. I suppose I hunted around 15 days total in MN and Ontario with my gun. I tracked some deer and had great daily snow (a little fresh snow daily) and wind conditions (enough to keep things moving in the woods, to cover movement, and cover up sound) in Canada for that. But I had to head home early on the hunt because my wife went into labor early. I didn't see any other hunters up there over 4-5 days in the areas I hunted. However for the most part, it was nothing but wolf tracks, everywhere. It was a little after rut so bucks weren't making many tracks. It was frustrating. And, like I said, my hunt got cut short. But it turned out they were able to delay the labor a few more weeks and we had a healthy baby boy on Dec 20, still, 3 weeks early.

I named him Winston after Winston Churchill and his role in WWII. And I thought it was a cool name. His brother Greyson is 16 months now and not quite sure yet what's up with the new baby in the house. I think he's figured out the little guy is staying with us.

This is the biggest buck we shot.

Killed a few pheasants

This is the gun I use when I'm hunting on the ground for deer
Rem 7600 .270. Scope: 1.25x-6x Leupold VXIII

Finally figured out the issue with my .300 Win Mag Browning BAR throwing "flingers." It wasn't the scope. I had Leupold tear it apart again. It was a broken front scope mount windage screw. But after I got that figured out, the gun itself broke. It's a single-shot right now. Need to take it in.

As usual, the terrain I hunt in Canada is very beautiful -- but it's been tough for hunting the last few years. The guys that bait near the towns did well, I'm told.

Because it was tough to find buck tracks, I tracked some deer just to have them take me into areas with other deer. One deer I tracked injured itself (image below). I have a lot of photos of average/decent tracks and other photos 'on-the-track.' Below is a photo of where a deer stood and watched its back track. They stand facing away making for a pretty small target, and make dozens of prints before they bound off (image below). I could have shot that deer at about 30 yards. Again it would have been up the rear. Also, one of the days I had wolves hunting around me. The wolf tracks don't look fresh but it was in a heavy snow. One of the tracks was a giant compared to all the others (image below). As I tracked this one deer around, I could see where the wolves were standing up on rocks, watching me (and probably that deer). I probably got that deer killed by kicking it out of its bed right into a pack of wolves.

One cool thing that happened this fall is I went on a goose hunt and the rookie all-star centerfielder for the Dodgers hunted with us. He took 2nd in the homerun contest too. A few birds and a photo would have made for a better story though.

Another thing I did recently is "max out" my NRA membership. I like the NRA and NRA-ILA. And Ted Cruz.

[glow=red]One thing I'm going to do in 2016 is plant a couple food plots with the help of DEERSLAYER.[/glow] I've never really hunted over a plot before but I own some land that would be pretty fun to have plots on. Maybe I'll get my bow out in 2016. Winter league is starting up for archery soon. Maybe I'll kill a buck with my bow in 2016. Not much else on the home front. My shotgunning team won a few first place trophies for skeet and sporting clays in 2015. We shoot year round... we took this winter off though.

If there's one thing I know, I don't get to hunt in the snow enough. Need to change that.

I need to get back in here and look at all the big bucks that were killed. My trips are planned for 2016!
Last edited by bigwoodsmn on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: BigwoodsMN 2015

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:52 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:57 am

Looks like you had some fun. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:04 am

Nice write up. That's a really big wolf track too!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:31 am

way cool! congrats

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:47 am

Congrats on the new baby boy! Sounds like a fun hunt, hopefully the wolf to deer ratio changes in the future.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:22 am

Cool write up man, sounds like a great year to me!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:55 am

Nice recap!

I thought your second boy would be named Eddy or Lane or possibly Larry... You know after a great hunter!!! God bless.

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:59 am

Looks like a blast! Thanks for sharing

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:04 pm

Nice write up and congrats on another new child.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:14 pm

8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:21 pm

Congrats on the new baby Bigwoods!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Two under two will be a handful :lol: :lol:
SRWbowhunter

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Good stuff congrats!

DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Really enjoyed this write-up. Congrats on your second son.

Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:03 pm

Good stuff. Sounds like it was a great adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”