XOP Stick Issue

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

XOP Stick Issue

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:49 am

I think there may have been a thread last year about this but I was having trouble tracking it down.

I have the older model XOP sticks and the bolt head is pushing into the steps, in a couple of cases causing the step to move past parallel with the ground. Made it through this season, but I want to try and get this addressed. Thought I would start here, see if anyone had similar issues, again, thought I say a fix for this on here relater to a bigger bolt head?

Best to just contact XOP? I believe the weight limit is 350 pounds on them, so should be well clear of that even at 255 plus gear.

Honestly, I've been kind of disappointed with the sticks, the factory washers are garbage, everything needs fairly regular tightening and mine don't nest well at all. Love to be in the market for a set of Dan's this year, but the wife is taking some time off from work, so not sure that's in the cards, like to get a couple of more years out of these.

Matty

Re: XOP Stick Issue

Unread postby Matty » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:49 am

I've been emailing back and forth with Cody regarding a few things. This being one of them.

Besides flipping the steps, which I'm sure you already know about, my plan is to just use a little jb weld on the step where the indentation is. I'm waiting to hear back from Cody on if this will work or not (if he's allowed to say).

My lone wolf sticks have the steps worn out and it's time to flip the steps. Before I flip, I'll try the JB weld (unless someone knows why that would be a bad reason). I'll report back on that if you feel its a viable option for you.

The other option I can see is getting a longer grade 8 cap screw and modifying it to be like the new version of the XOP stick, which addresses this issue. They use a stop now if you haven't seen it yet. Not just the head of the bolt.

Hope this helps. -Matt

By the way, what are "Dans sticks"? I'm assuming Mr. Infalt has his own climbing stick? I thought he used lonewolf xop stuff? Even seen him use muddy sticks in a video I think....doing deer drives.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:37 am

Matty wrote:I've been emailing back and forth with Cody regarding a few things. This being one of them.

Besides flipping the steps, which I'm sure you already know about, my plan is to just use a little jb weld on the step where the indentation is. I'm waiting to hear back from Cody on if this will work or not (if he's allowed to say).

My lone wolf sticks have the steps worn out and it's time to flip the steps. Before I flip, I'll try the JB weld (unless someone knows why that would be a bad reason). I'll report back on that if you feel its a viable option for you.

The other option I can see is getting a longer grade 8 cap screw and modifying it to be like the new version of the XOP stick, which addresses this issue. They use a stop now if you haven't seen it yet. Not just the head of the bolt.

Hope this helps. -Matt

By the way, what are "Dans sticks"? I'm assuming Mr. Infalt has his own climbing stick? I thought he used lonewolf xop stuff? Even seen him use muddy sticks in a video I think....doing deer drives.

Dan's sticks look very similar to the muddy ones.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:50 am

Thanks BassBoyLP.

That must have been what I saw him using in the video then. I tried checking the store link before I bothered to ask, but there were currently no products under climbing sticks.

Thanks again.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:41 pm

link/pics of Dan's sticks?

I too have the older XOP's and am not impressed either, would be interested in buying a set of Dan's. I would rather support a small business run by a respectable hunter than a Chinaman's climbing stick...
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Twenty Up wrote:link/pics of Dan's sticks?

I too have the older XOP's and am not impressed either, would be interested in buying a set of Dan's. I would rather support a small business run by a respectable hunter than a Chinaman's climbing stick...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33710

jessejames

Unread postby jessejames » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:10 pm

Just flip the step and put a bigger bolt in. Will have to drill out a bit. Used mine all year this year like that. Show no wear they are more solid and the step has a slight upward angle that helps with footing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:23 am

Your having the same problem with your xop sticks, cause they are likely made by the same company in china that made the crappy lw sticks. The problem is inconsistent spacing/placement between the bolt that holds the step and the one that stops rotation. When this spacing is off, you point load the corner of the step, deforming it. Steps angled down can be very dangerous. Here is how I fixed mine.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16142&hilit=+bolt
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:30 am

Disappointing to read that the XOP sticks are having similar issues with the foot pegs. Not that surprising since they're longer, that'd put a little more torque on the pressure point... then again maybe not. Seems that amount of wear should hapoen, just not after a few months. I want to unload my LW sticks and go to xop but not if this issue persists

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:54 am

muddy wrote:Disappointing to read that the XOP sticks are having similar issues with the foot pegs. Not that surprising since they're longer, that'd put a little more torque on the pressure point... then again maybe not. Seems that amount of wear should hapoen, just not after a few months. I want to unload my LW sticks and go to xop but not if this issue persists

Muddy for what it's worth, these are the older XOP sticks. Not sure if the new ones have been fixed. I got these fairly cheap not too long before the newer version came out. Gotten a couple of PM's and it sounds like Cody has been pretty responsive to addressing the issue. Going to e-mail them and see what happens, if not I'll get on a mod for next season. Kenn, that was the thread I was looking for, thanks.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:57 am

Thanks. It really doesn't surprise me that they wear that point of contact, there's a lot of pressure right there. If the Muddy sticks were as long as the LW sticks I'd be all over them.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”