What is one/ some of the coolest, or beautiful things you've

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mermatt83

What is one/ some of the coolest, or beautiful things you've

Unread postby mermatt83 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:47 pm

I'll kick this off. This season I had some woodland bird of prey almost take out my face. I swear the thing veered away from my face within about a foot or two when he saw me start to flinch. Holy adrenaline!! Last year I saw a fisher (the weasel, not a man with rod and reel) chase a squirrel. I've seen a couple fox slinking through the woods.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

hunting_dad
500 Club

Re: What is one/ some of the coolest, or beautiful things yo

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:56 pm

I had an owl come in from behind me once and land in the tree in front of me. Scared the crap out of me but awesome at the same time. It was in those last few minutes of light and everything was dead still and then that happened. Good thing i had an easy walk cause my shorts were full.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:59 pm

While up fishing this spring we watched a raven rob a pine squirrel nest. It tore the nest apart and ate all the baby squirrels one by one over a few hr period.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:01 pm

Speaking of Fishers, I seen 5 of them in one sit a few years ago. I don't know if it was mating season but they were chasing each other around the marsh one morning. One came to the base of my tree and wanted to climb up to check me out. I also got to watch a beaver gnaw a small tree down once on a hunt. That was kinda fun to see. There are many other cool things I seen out in the woods.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
WVFrid

Unread postby WVFrid » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:13 pm

I was turkey hunting several years ago and was set up overlooking a powerline. Me and my buddy Zach had been set up about an hour or so when I caught something moving through the field to my right. Turned out to be a bobcat that got to within a couple yards of my setup before he took off. I'll never forget those big yellow eyes stalking right up to me. Was a pretty cool experience.

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:14 pm

Remember the movie the predator? Remember the clicking noise the alien made right before he shot everybody? Well I had a female bald eagle roost behind me one evening, only I couldn't see her. I heard her fly up and started making a very similar clicking noise. To make things worse I watched that movie like a couple days before...I knew I was dead. I was glad when she eventually saw me a flew off

DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:43 pm

Buckshot20 wrote:Remember the movie the predator? Remember the clicking noise the alien made right before he shot everybody? Well I had a female bald eagle roost behind me one evening, only I couldn't see her. I heard her fly up and started making a very similar clicking noise. To make things worse I watched that movie like a couple days before...I knew I was dead. I was glad when she eventually saw me a flew off

My all time favorite movie!

In 2009 or 10 I got to watch a mother bobcat teach her youngins how to pounce. There was a clump of grass in the middle of an opening in a thicket and they pounced on that thing for almost an hour. It was really cool

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:03 pm

While driving down a main highway for work I seen two huge bald eagles feeding on a small deer carcass laying right on the side of the road. Bald eagle sightings are somewhat rare here in this part of MI. So it was a pretty awesome sight!

vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:20 pm

A white weasel playing in the swamp. Videoed it. And a bobcat sneak up on a squirrel and kill it. Also pretty cool.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:21 pm

I saw a grey fox chase down a rabbit once. Couldn't believe how fast a fox was. That rabbit did'nt have a chance.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Seen so many cool things over the years I don't even know where to begin so I will just post things I actually have video of.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA2swKyUyN4[/bbvideo]

[bbvideo=425,350]http://youtu.be/dZRoOhCWjfY[/bbvideo]

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:03 pm

One of the spots i sat in the marsh this fall had open water all around it. The water was really clear and i spent a couple hours watching muskrats swim around below my tree.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:46 am

I've had chick-a-dees land on my hat, bow, and arrow a few times. I've watched a eagle swoop down and grab another small bird on the ground. I've saw two bucks fight. I've been face to face with a squirrel and a raccoon that both climbed down had no clue I was there. I saw 4 eagles fly around for like 20 minutes screaming at one another and "playing" about 20 yards from me. I've saw a grey fox from stand. I've saw coyotes circle a water hole for geese(kind of funny actually) I also had an owl put the brakes on about 2 ft from my face.

ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:58 am

Dewey, what was the date in that Marsh Buck scrape vid? Very cool.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:04 am

Too many to even start, that's the best part about bowhunting to me. Get to see so much cool stuff the majority of people never do.

One of the most memorable to me was my first year out I had a red fox come in and fall asleep in front of my stand for over an hour then just get up, stretch and trot off. Been swooped in on by owls and hawks a few times also. Had a Goshawk chase a grouse out in front of me once, that was a cool one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”