Impressive high up rub line. How to locate that bucks bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BCO

Impressive high up rub line. How to locate that bucks bed?

Unread postby BCO » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:53 pm

Has anyone ever back tracked a rub line to find a buck bed? Found impressive high rubs on a rub line and would like to find the buck's bed. How would you go about doing this?

bwwma

Re: Impressive high up rub line. How to locate that bucks b

Unread postby bwwma » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:43 pm

On public land hill country, I'd look for thick stuff that's elevated giving them an advantage.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:08 am

BCO wrote:Has anyone ever back tracked a rub line to find a buck bed? Found impressive high rubs on a rub line and would like to find the buck's bed. How would you go about doing this?

Yes. Not every rub line leads you to a bed but that is one of the ways I find them. When you get close to the bed sometimes there will be rubs going in other directions that all seam to be leaving from the same spot.
This is where it's tricky though. You still need to identify a reason for him to bed there. You should recognize other ingredients that make it suitable for bedding. Just because there are multiple rubs I different directions doesn't automatically make it a bed.
Hope that made sense.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:25 am

Most of the time its not as easy to just follow the rub line back to the bed as one would think. Bucks make rublines all over the place, and there not all leading to bedding, and the ones that do often stop short of the bed.

For me its easier to locate huge and high rubs and say "ok, we have a target in the area" then look in the typical spots big bucks bed in that terrain and find the buck beds. Sometimes you get lucky and the beds are marked with the same big rubs or one is near a rubline and now you can put it all together... But the best way to kill the buck is probably to hop from bed to bed till you cross paths.
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:50 am

would you bother setting up over the rub line?
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:12 am

dan wrote:Most of the time its not as easy to just follow the rub line back to the bed as one would think. Bucks make rublines all over the place, and there not all leading to bedding, and the ones that do often stop short of the bed.

For me its easier to locate huge and high rubs and say "ok, we have a target in the area" then look in the typical spots big bucks bed in that terrain and find the buck beds. Sometimes you get lucky and the beds are marked with the same big rubs or one is near a rubline and now you can put it all together... But the best way to kill the buck is probably to hop from bed to bed till you cross paths.

Your last paragraph was exactly what I was thinking when I read first post. I use the rublines as more of a directional travel path of the buck, relative to food, his possible bedding, doe bedding and secure cover. Early season rublines will lead to beds, but those beds are usually at a seasonal food source, that once season starts(later for me than others oct 1) aren't being used like they where early on when they were first rubbing. The majority I find come during the pre rut/rut stage. Those tell you what direction a buck is checking does or traveling on the way between bedding areas as well as telling other bucks whose there.

For me getting eyes on a good buck can be difficult, I try to locate areas that have big rubs and then locate the bedding around them and try and figure out why. Even if that buck was killed(a lot of times unlikely due to his habits and age) it gives me good bedding options to keep my eyes on later or other seasons. I know a good buck will use it and during the season with pressure it's nice to have those options or aces in the hole, to hit up when daylight movement starts to slow down in the areas guys pressure harder.

BCO

Unread postby BCO » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I will start looking at the map closer and try to figure out likely bedding areas then walk those areas and see what I find. Hunting big woods with rolling hills. Most of this place is pretty thick so I have my work cut out for me.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:20 pm

Upload them to photobucket and use the provided img link from there.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
BCO

Unread postby BCO » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:00 pm

Thanks i'll give that a try.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”