Deer anatomy video worth watching

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Deer anatomy video worth watching

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:35 am

Good video. Long time ago I read in byron Ferguson's book to envision a basketball in a deer's chest cavity. You wanna shoot to the center of the ball no matter the angle. Kinda has stuck with me and it works.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:18 pm

Awesome video. I just spent two hours watching some of his others. Really cool seeing the anatomy with an explaination.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:13 pm

Good vid x2 hawthorne i never thought of it that way

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:37 am

Finally watched this, I never agreed with other anatomical drawings, I know you can hit further back on a deer and get lungs than what other drawings and a lot of hunters believe. You do not have to hug the shoulder or the front leg, those two big ol balloons go pretty far back. By aiming further back, you stay away from bone. Deer die quickly from double lung shots, it's not a sexy as the heart shot though.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:11 am

Yea, that is the best anatomy video I have seen. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with almost every single thing he shared, he definitely did his research. Liver size does vary a lot between individual deer, I have noticed that as well. One thing - I think the aorta descends down to the heart slightly further back than he shows, I would say about the C7/8 vertebra its at least an inch below the spine and dropping down to the heart, but that is a really small difference. There is still no void as the lungs are on both sides of it. Every deer I have ever butchered I look closely at the anatomy and what the shot hit.

ozzz wrote:Where on a deer should I aim 20 yards away 20 feet up?

Like what Hawthorne said I would recommend visualizing where the heart and the lungs sit in the chest based on that model and put your arrow through the center of that. Meaning, don't think of arrow placement as 3" behind the shoulder, or 6" above the brisket, or any other EXTERNAL measurement....that is going to get you in trouble eventually because that always varies depending on angle. Pick a spot based on that center-of-chest-cavity concept.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:10 am

JoeRE wrote:Yea, that is the best anatomy video I have seen. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with almost every single thing he shared, he definitely did his research. Liver size does vary a lot between individual deer, I have noticed that as well. One thing - I think the aorta descends down to the heart slightly further back than he shows, I would say about the C7/8 vertebra its at least an inch below the spine and dropping down to the heart, but that is a really small difference. There is still no void as the lungs are on both sides of it. Every deer I have ever butchered I look closely at the anatomy and what the shot hit.

ozzz wrote:Where on a deer should I aim 20 yards away 20 feet up?

Like what Hawthorne said I would recommend visualizing where the heart and the lungs sit in the chest based on that model and put your arrow through the center of that. Meaning, don't think of arrow placement as 3" behind the shoulder, or 6" above the brisket, or any other EXTERNAL measurement....that is going to get you in trouble eventually because that always varies depending on angle. [glow=red]Pick a spot based on that center-of-chest-cavity concept[/glow].

Yep, I call it body shooting, but I don't talk much about it to many people because it's not what most people consider "body shooting". Shooting with both eyes open and not focusing on your pin, but the deer's body is the key to how I shoot. Thinking if you hit in a 6 or 8" circle on the side of deer will get it done from any angle doesn't work.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:27 am

Hawthorne wrote:Good video. Long time ago I read in byron Ferguson's book to envision a basketball in a deer's chest cavity. You wanna shoot to the center of the ball no matter the angle. Kinda has stuck with me and it works.

Great tip. That's basically what I do.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”