conoe question for those that own one

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Goober

Re: conoe question for those that own one

Unread postby Goober » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:37 am

I wouldn't worry about puncturing that canoe. If you hit something that would puncture that, it would do the same to the light aluminum. What I would worry more about, is that cheap canoe likely will track (travel) very poorly. Does that make a difference for you, I can't say. If you are mostly going to be on small, winding creeks and rivers, won't make much difference. But if you are going to be going across calm water, maneuvering around obstacles, plan to do any heavy hauling (think gear and deer) across any open water in crappy weather, a well-made canoe that tracks straight and paddles well will serve you much better.

Just my .02 cents!

Browtine77

Unread postby Browtine77 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:54 pm

I also think that polyethylene canoe is a bit quieter than any aluminium canoe I've floated.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:57 am

I am really happy with my Nucanoe set up.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:24 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I am really happy with my Nucanoe set up.

X2. Really tough compact canoe

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:04 am

Bbostrom wrote:I have a 12' sports pal (aluminum) it's perfect for me the one thing I might change for next year is going to a kayak paddle. I get water on my gear crossing over every stroke other that that I love it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I have a 12' old town, was thinking on going to the kayak paddle also. The getting stuff wet thing and also think it'd be a lot more efficient.
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:12 am

Those nucanoes look nice! The more I look the more I wanna change over to one

Wylee

Unread postby Wylee » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:14 am

Also a canoe with open middle (no seat) is better for hunting. I put stand and sticks there. Then how on top. 12v marine battery up front offset the minnkota 50#. It pushes canoe at roughly 5 mph.

olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:51 pm

olivertractor wrote:
Bbostrom wrote:I have a 12' sports pal (aluminum) it's perfect for me the one thing I might change for next year is going to a kayak paddle. I get water on my gear crossing over every stroke other that that I love it.

I have a 12' old town, was thinking on going to the kayak paddle also. The getting stuff wet thing and also think it'd be a lot more efficient.

Finally tried a kayak paddle with my 12' old town today, man what a difference, increased efficiency, better balance, canoe tracked way better. Stupid it took me this long to get, lol!

As far as keeping water off gear I don't think that's gonna be feasible, except for some splash curtain on bow

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:10 am

Why didn't I think of that!!! Makes too much sense.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:58 am

I have the plastic menards canoe you speak of... Its not as tough as Aluminum, but its pretty tough, and a heck of a lot quieter and lighter than metal. I portage across land in a lot of spots and sneak in close to bedded deer. Quiet and light are important to me. I think its tough enough...
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:06 pm

dan wrote:I have the plastic menards canoe you speak of... Its not as tough as Aluminum, but its pretty tough, and a heck of a lot quieter and lighter than metal. I portage across land in a lot of spots and sneak in close to bedded deer. Quiet and light are important to me. I think its tough enough...

I agree aluminum is to noisy for my shallow, Beaver dam filled rivers

g-inthewild

Unread postby g-inthewild » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:19 am

20+ years ago I bought a Mowhawk, 17.5 foot synthetic (Royalex) canoe. Didn't want aluminum (too noisy, even on the best days.) Light to self portage and load (77 lbs.) Bought it at the factory in Altamont Springs, Fla. Have dragged it across coral rock, run it up on gravel, dragged it over trees, dry land, whatever. Still going strong. Fully loaded it drafts in about 3" of water. How can you go wrong. Use it every time I fish, planning on using it this year to get in and hunt where man can't walk....
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:05 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:thanks for the replies. it won't be beat up much. just may go through some shallow areas is all. I could probably make some compartments in the ends and fill with them with Great Stuff for extra flotation in case.

Buy a USED Canoe for $100 or $200.

DO NOT use Great Stuff as flotation foam - it absorbs water. (I build boats and sell boat plans - you need USCG approved foam if you want to go with pour foam, otherwise use white styrofoam or the blue/pink construction foam).
g-inthewild

Unread postby g-inthewild » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:57 am

Many years ago I went to the factory in Altamont Springs Fla. and bought a 17.5' Mohawk. Royalex body, webbed seats, and set my portage yoke and seats where I wanted. 1 hour later was out the door. Have canoed all over in the Everglades and in the Keys(very sharp coral rocks) and now fifh in lakes and rivers in Missouri. It weighs 72 pounds, can carry it and load on my carrier myself, and it is whisper quiet. Nothing better. The thing about aluminum is is sounds like a gunshot if you touch the sides with a paddle.
If you can't get a Mowhawk, go with another brand of composite.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”