Going in Blind with Fresh Snow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Going in Blind with Fresh Snow

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:16 am

With today's storm hitting a good chunk of the midwest I thought this may be a good discussion.

Specifically, snow is supposed to end sometime tonight. With the cold coming the next few days, I'm figuring tomorrow evening may be golden, as most deer are probably hunkered down with heavy winds and freezing rain in my area right now. I have a few areas I am looking at for an evening sit tomorrow. One I scouted a bit last spring and one I have not.

So, how would you target an evening sit tomorrow evening if you were going in somewhat blind for the time of the year, and there won't be tracks showing typical evening movement patterns in the snow yet.

On one hand, and tracks I encounter will be a clear indication of deer in the immediate vicinity, and I have a fair idea of where food and bedding may be in the area. On the other hand, I won't have much to work with as far as how they may come back out in the evening to feed. I know it is kind of dependent on lay of the land. Some spots setting up on the same trail may be a good idea, others not.

Anyone have any thoughts on how they may go about this one?

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Going in Blind with Fresh Snow

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:37 pm

That's my plan, I know of two hidden food plots on private that pull deer from adjacent public marshes. Planning on setting up on one or the other based on exactly what the wind is doing.

My anticipation is with about 6 inches of snow today all I'll have is tracks heading back towards bedding. ASsuming in that casse, best to just set up over those trails and observe?
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:13 pm

burkhart wrote:If u can estimate bedding from food and can get in early I'd sneak in as close as I could. But if approach is bad or he can see u from the marsh u might be best served on the plot. Take my advice lightly for I'm not a pro like most on here but have killed my share of deer of late season food close to bedding.

Last one I did this on was from the ground simply because hunting elevate would of gave me away to the deer on the hill. Used a creek to sneak to the edge the feild and set up in some brush. Worked like a charm.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Well you have confirmed my predisposed plan! Was thinking ground sit if nothing else because the snow and whites will make blending in easy and not sure I want to hump a stand a mile through an already high marsh with 10 inches of heavy wet snow in it!
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:35 pm

The snow has me excited for tommorow. Going in to a ridge with bedding to the north, cut corn to the west, food plot to the east and swamp to the south. Last 3 days cameras have exploded there with buck activity. Wind should be perfect tommorow

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”