Your Cell Phone-An Article

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Your Cell Phone-An Article

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:30 am

Dewey wrote:I'm headed out right now to play on my phone...........er I mean go hunting...... :mrgreen:

Good luck Dewey, at least your hitting the woods. I'm just wasting time making obnoxious posts on the WWW.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:33 am

so, no phone in the woods = "die hard hunter".............. :think:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:35 am

BigHunt wrote:so, no phone in the woods = "die hard hunter".............. :think:

I don't think that.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:45 am

Stanley wrote:I think some of the absolute die hard hunters have a hard time interpreting what fun is. I'm guilty as charged. If you have a phone in the tree, and love the live from the stand thread, keep having fun I say. Just because I don't take my phone to the tree doesn't mean others shouldn't.

I totally agree...not aimed at anyone in particular but for some hunters that I read about, it seems like it's not serious unless some sort of mental or physical punishment is involved!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:51 am

So as I post this from my smart phone... Bahahahahah...

I first got one as a requirement for work.. The need to be online and quickly access email and other systems on the go...

Now with all the features, apps, and hardware most all modern smart phones surpass the first computers we had in technology.

The problems I see is people use them to fill all there idle time or create idle time with games, Facebook, snapchat.. You name it. If you are ever waiting in line nobody looks up and talks anymore. Their faces are buried in there phones.

I agree that on stand there is so much to observe going on around you.. Bird movement, tree movement, the wind, different sounds, how the light casts in different areas of the woods as the day bleeds on.. As a kid I would spend a lot of time doing this while hiking.

Its these experiences I treasure the most when I can break away from the cube jungle :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:17 am

The Average Guy is able to stay out in the woods (upping his odds considerably) by having a phone in hand. If you can hear, you should be fine.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:20 am

Czabs wrote:I use my phone every now and again in the tree

Same for me. I like to read during my long times on stand during the rut. I agree it could cost you dearly.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:35 am

I use my phone on stand but try and limit the phone time, use it more bed hunting when expected movement is prime time. I limit my use a lot when rut hunting, mostly just checking texts and no internet. For those that leave it in the truck you would be better off turning your phone off and keeping it with you, better safe than sorry in the case of an accident or really anything unexpected.
Locked and Nocked

Unread postby Locked and Nocked » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:01 am

I definitely use my phone on stand and I have a hard time believing it really hinders my chances. First off, I was reading books on stand before I had a smart phone. Secondly, whether it is reading books or using my phone, I do these things to keep boredom at bay and usually only on long sits, especially all day sits. The way I see it, if I can take 15 minutes to do something besides scan the woods that refreshes my mind, I don't see that as a negative. If I don't use my phone there are times where I get fatigued, lose focus and am blankly staring which is just as bad in my opinion.

Hunting hard is mentally grueling and if used in small amounts, I think something like a crossword, book, or your smart phone can help keep you mentally fresh. Another part is up to date weather information. I have had a few sits where I checked the wind mid day to realize the wind was shifting and I needed to switch stands for the evening. Many factors to consider.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:39 am

I still use an old flip phone. Im not a fan of smart phones at all although I may have to succumb to them eventually. There is no cell service in the areas I hunt either. I may get a few bars if Im on steep hills, but its sketchy at best. Like this year, I seen alot of deer. Not all of them were under my tree though. Many of them were off in the distance but I still seen them by remaining vigilant. I try to get the most out of the outdoors when Im out there. To each their own.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:52 am

Locked and Nocked wrote:I definitely use my phone on stand and I have a hard time believing it really hinders my chances. First off, I was reading books on stand before I had a smart phone. Secondly, whether it is reading books or using my phone, I do these things to keep boredom at bay and usually only on long sits, especially all day sits. The way I see it, if I can take 15 minutes to do something besides scan the woods that refreshes my mind, I don't see that as a negative. If I don't use my phone there are times where I get fatigued, lose focus and am blankly staring which is just as bad in my opinion.

Hunting hard is mentally grueling and if used in small amounts, I think something like a crossword, book, or your smart phone can help keep you mentally fresh. Another part is up to date weather information. I have had a few sits where I checked the wind mid day to realize the wind was shifting and I needed to switch stands for the evening. Many factors to consider.

I completely agree with this.

I'm on my phone right now..........shame on me. How dare I do such a thing?? :mrgreen:

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:03 am

I take mine.... For most cases it has replaced my compass, my maps and aerial photos, my camera, my video recorder, my books, etc. While I certainly don't let it override my joy of learning and being in the woods, it does have a lot of capability that I previously needed several other tools to do.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:15 am

I dont think i am missing much by taking my phone. I stay focused and tuned in while on stand.

I do take a phone break from time to time but i dont spend large blocks of time on the thing. Its usually a minute or two and then i tune back in to my surroundings.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:25 am

Things just change, that's the way life is. .. most guys that don't touch thier phones on stand didn't come up in the technological boom these days. .

Not sure it's good or bad it's just different as is most things. People will always think the way it used to be was better or they liked it better cause that's human nature.. but in the big scheme the net effect is probably not a big deal

Make It Happen
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:43 am

I would not have killed one of my bucks this year without it because I was about to climb down when my dad texted me that 3 bucks were slipping down the creek bottom.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”