Buck pushed from bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fishlips
500 Club

Buck pushed from bed

Unread postby fishlips » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:57 am

How long do bucks normally vacate their beds after they get kicked from them? Guessing there are a number of variables that affect it but in general any observations?

I know of a deer that got booted from his bed on private ground and headed right for some public. I have scouted a bed and setup for where I think he was heading. It looks secure but based on sign I would guess the are gets hit hard during the rut. I wish I could get in there today but the setup is tough and its a family day. Tomorrow will be better and I plan to try it then.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Motivated
500 Club

Re: Buck pushed from bed

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:52 am

Just as you suggested, I believe it is likely highly variable. Pressure is likely the most important variable. Buck age and personality may play a role. More experienced guys may give you better answers.

The buck I chased this year I pushed him out of 2 of his bedding areas. He died in the third area.

I have read about bucks getting bumped from the same bed 3 days in a row, but I doubt that would be pressured public land.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:36 am

I did end up hunting that bedding area and busted something out of it. Never got a good visual and had a deer sloshing close by later on that got close but was too thick for me to see. Could have been anything but there was a lot of good sign right in the area and its definitely tough to hunt.

Spot was close to where someone almost hit a dandy on xmas eve. Said it was 160+. Wish I had gotten a visual just to see what it was. Either way I consider the hunt a success.

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:06 pm

Cool! I'm glad you had a good day. Thanks for the update. Good luck with the big one.

I have one more day to hunt--January 3rd. I think in the next few months I will put in a few practice still hunting sessions with a camera along with my scouting and shed hunting.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”