Anyone have experience hunting public land in Southern Ohio?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Debo03

Anyone have experience hunting public land in Southern Ohio?

Unread postby Debo03 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:43 am

I'm looking for anyone that has had experience bow hunting public land in Southern Ohio, specifically south west. I know that good spots on public are hard to come by and when they are found its best to keep them secret but I am only looking for general info and know that most users on here are generally super helpful.

I live in Nashville and my in-laws live in Cincinnati so I am trying to plan a couple of 3 day hunts for next season in Ohio. I have access to some solid private hill-country land in TN that I would be willing to possibly trade a Turkey or Deer hunting trip for some solid information.

My goal is to have a good chance to kill a 125" or better buck with my bow. I don't mind putting boots on the ground and doing most of the work myself but from what I've seen online there are quite a few pieces of public within an hour and a half of Cincinnati but I want to concentrate my efforts on pieces of land that are actually worthwhile. I also know that most of the lands being that close to a major city probably get a good bit of pressure so information regarding that would be helpful as well.

Please PM me if you have any info that may be helpful. Also if you are interested in meeting up to scout or hunt together that would be cool too.

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Anyone have experience hunting public land in Southern O

Unread postby SamPotter » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:08 am

I shed hunted on public in SE Ohio last spring and bowhunt private there as well. If SW Ohio is anything like SE Ohio hill country, then you're in for a treat. My only complaint about the particular public land parcel I was on in SE Ohio was there were well-used horse trails all through it, so there weren't many difficult to access areas. On the other hand, I had no way of telling how much bowhunting pressure it gets and there was good buck sign everywhere.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”