Deer baiting/feeding ban in Vilas, Oneida and Forest county

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Deer baiting/feeding ban in Vilas, Oneida and Forest county

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:22 am

Looks like this is old news already but I first read about it today on the front page of Wisconsin Outdoor News. I will say that it's ridiculous that a game farm can dictate what goes on everywhere else. I don't bait but know it's big business up there and how most hunt. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens.

Another CWD-positive deer found on Wisconsin game farm – first one in Oneida County
BY DEAN BORTZ
December 6, 2015

Details are sketchy yet, but what is known is that one white-tailed deer on an Oneida County hunting preserve believed to be in the Three Lakes area tested positive for chronic wasting disease (CWD), according to State Veterinarian Dr. Paul McGraw, who made that announcement the afternoon of Thursday, Dec. 3.

The Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) had not released the site or name of the game farm as of Friday, Dec. 4.

According to a DATCP press statement, the National Veterinary Services Laboratory (NVSL) in Ames, Iowa, reported the final test results back to the state. The animal was a 3-year-old male and was one of about 425 deer in the 570-acre preserve.

McGraw said the deer was born on the game farm and was shot on the property. Samples were taken in accordance with DATCP’s rules, which require testing of farm-raised deer and elk when they die, go to slaughter or are killed.

Also on Friday, Dec. 3, the DNR’s Tom Hauge said this new CWD discovery will lead to a deer baiting and feeding ban in Oneida, Vilas and Forest counties. If that’s the case, then the game farm is located in northeastern Oneida County close proximity to Vilas and Forest counties.

According to the statement, the game farm will be allowed to continue offering deer hunts on the quarantined property as long as DATCP protocols are followed.

http://www.rivernewsonline.com/main.asp ... leID=70464

Bbostrom

Re: Deer baiting/feeding ban in Vilas, Oneida and Forest cou

Unread postby Bbostrom » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:06 pm

I hadn't heard about this thank you. I predict hunter numbers will all but vanish this fall in the northwoods without bait

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:34 pm

I remember the year of statewide baiting ban in 2002 after CWD was found I saw the most deer movement ever in the northwoods. It was great fun hunting natural movement as they were then forced to browse all day long instead of just bedding near baitpiles.

Totally different times up there now. No more hugely inflated deer herd like then so I agree without baiting many will quit hunting up there. Reading comments on articles it is a common thought brought up. Most people are not willing to put in that much work to kill a deer especially when it's buck only already.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Rumor has it the wardens have ordered extra citation books.

If half the people actually do as they say it will only be a slight down turn in bait placed.

The ban year I found just as many corn piles as a normal year.....still a lot of private land owners will still bait is my guess.

Bbostrom

Unread postby Bbostrom » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:12 am

My intention is not to negatively rant about the DNR or deer farm's, but I'm confused as to how this type of reaction helps the situation (I must add that I was raised a corn pile hunter but have not baited in over ten years.) The part that confuses me is why is the deer farm able to operate in the same way as before? Isn't the root cause of the problem the deer farm? More specifically in my eyes the amount of deer per acre on this deer farm 425 deer in 570 acre's. Mother nature takes care of her own and if the carrying capacity is exceeded the playing field will be leveled.
I'm a welder by trade not a biologists so I'm sure I don't have all the information in this situation but from my couch this morning I think there should be more done in the future. I love the big woods of northern Wisconsin and I would be crushed if it turned into a deer eradication zone because of something like this.

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:35 am

I think dnr wants baiting gone, but cwd is their excuse to do it and not tick off the feed mills/hunters that it would upset.

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:36 am

Bbostrom wrote:My intention is not to negatively rant about the DNR or deer farm's, but I'm confused as to how this type of reaction helps the situation (I must add that I was raised a corn pile hunter but have not baited in over ten years.) The part that confuses me is why is the deer farm able to operate in the same way as before? Isn't the root cause of the problem the deer farm? More specifically in my eyes the amount of deer per acre on this deer farm 425 deer in 570 acre's. Mother nature takes care of her own and if the carrying capacity is exceeded the playing field will be leveled.
I'm a welder by trade not a biologists so I'm sure I don't have all the information in this situation but from my couch this morning I think there should be more done in the future. I love the big woods of northern Wisconsin and I would be crushed if it turned into a deer eradication zone because of something like this.

I've had the same question. Seems deer farms continue to be the root of the problem but little is changed. I also find it funny how the DNR try to enforce the baiting ban while driving past "deer bait" signs and sporting good stores and gas stations who are blatantly selling deer feed. Seems stop the source not treat the results but maybe there are laws that have their hands tied, not sure. Just seems backwards.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:43 am

Deer farms should have mandatory double fencing so wild deer can't come in contact with tame deer. And then they don't have to change the laws for everyone based on one business.

Banning baiting in my opinion will do nothing to stop CWD. Im not pro baiting, nor am I against it, I could really care less about baiters, but the fact is, if CWD is there, its there... and baiting will not stop it. A double fence might of, of baiting won't. Especially 2 gallon piles which is the limit by law. And before anybody starts the nonsense that "2 gallons might be the law, but people use truck loads" just remember, a guy using a truck load is already a law breaker and is not going to listen to another law. A baiting ban is much like a gun ban... It only stops honest folks.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:14 am

olivertractor wrote:I think dnr wants baiting gone, but cwd is their excuse to do it and not tick off the feed mills/hunters that it would upset.

I agree. They have been trying to ban baiting statewide so cwd is their way to slowly add on counties until they conquer them all. I don't bait while hunting but enjoy feeding the deer at the cabin I rent when up there. Gonna miss that a lot.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:28 am

olivertractor wrote:I think dnr wants baiting gone, but cwd is their excuse to do it and not tick off the feed mills/hunters that it would upset.

You are 100% correct.

Still let the game farm operate where the only case of cwd was found in these counties......

Love to hear the scientific data behind that decision.

trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:52 am

I've seen a couple of local deer farms that have a single fence instead of double like they are required to have.
I lost all respect for the dnr a long time ago!

purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:56 am

trapper57 wrote:I've seen a couple of local deer farms that have a single fence instead of double like they are required to have.

Is double fence a law in Wisconsin? A new high fence shooting farm went up here 2 years ago, it's a single fence.

trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:35 am

purebowhunting wrote:
trapper57 wrote:I've seen a couple of local deer farms that have a single fence instead of double like they are required to have.

Is double fence a law in Wisconsin? A new high fence shooting farm went up here 2 years ago, it's a single fence.

http://m.sfgate.com/news/science/articl ... 673679.php

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:07 am

The WI county I live in is one of the rare counties left in WI that still does allow baiting. I'm betting that will change soon. I don't really care that much, but bait is nice for trail cam purposes.

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:38 am

dan wrote:Deer farms should have mandatory double fencing so wild deer can't come in contact with tame deer. And then they don't have to change the laws for everyone based on one business.

Banning baiting in my opinion will do nothing to stop CWD. Im not pro baiting, nor am I against it, I could really care less about baiters, but the fact is, if CWD is there, its there... and baiting will not stop it. A double fence might of, of baiting won't. Especially 2 gallon piles which is the limit by law. And before anybody starts the nonsense that "2 gallons might be the law, but people use truck loads" just remember, a guy using a truck load is already a law breaker and is not going to listen to another law. A baiting ban is much like a gun ban... It only stops honest folks.

I have never thought of the double fence, but I think that would be a great idea.

I am in one of the counties that has all kinds of law changes due to the cwd find in Michigan this year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”