What Is The Definition Of "Beast Style"?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: What Is The Definition Of "Beast Style"?

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:36 am

It's an aggressive hunting style based on a vigorous scouting regimine using precision, intellect, and overall woodsmanship, to kill big bucks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:42 am

I think that is a definition best left to Dan.... Heck I have a hard enough time remembering where I left my truck keys most days, much less defining a style of hunting. I guess my "style" is capitalist.... I look for a vulnerablity and opportunity to exploit that vulnerabilty... Be it rut, bed, staging, funnel.... It's all good in my book at the right times

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:24 am

62kodiak wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Celeb hunters usually do not get much respect on hunting forums from what I've seen. I think some of them are top notch hunters that would be successful anywhere.

I have no doubt if you unleashed Mark and Terry Drury on your public hunting grounds in NE Iowa they would get the job done.

I have no doubt your right here. The Drurys are some incredible hunters, even before they where famous. The Lakoskys not so much, they pretty much bought their fame with highly managed land.

To address the OP, I would say that I think seazofcheeze nailed it.
seazofcheeze wrote:To me, bed-centric hunting strategies with a strong emphasis on scouting, setup mobility, and stealth.

x3 on cheeze's comment.

However if you read lakosky's book you'd figure out that he is one heck of a deer hunter. Or listen to his w2h podcast.

When Lee started out on the realtree dvd's he GAVE them his footage. No monetary gain whatsoever. Tht exposure led to scent lok approaching him just AFTER he quit his job because he couldn't take as much time off to hunt as he wanted.

Lee is the real deal. I thought the same way you did until I read his book. Unfortunately since the money, fame, numerous prime properties, and extreme emphasis on low pressure, it makes for unrealistic footage for the average guy.

He even refuses to shed hunt an entire property all at once. He does it in sections to keep deer there at all times.

I know this was a bit of a hijack but he is one celeb hunter that I'll defend. Some certainly couldn't hunt their way out of a paper bag.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:43 am

When i first discovered the Beast it seemed to me as a group of guys who learned EXACTLY where a buck bedded, setting up on the buck just off the bed and killing the buck. Now since being around for a while the definition has grown to include lots of other factors that leads to the end result of killing the buck. But to me it still revolves around a core principle of knowing where a buck beds.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:32 am

I think the typical hunter on this site or lurker would classify a "BEAST" style as using any tactic legal that allows you to pattern a mature buck into areas he uses in daylight where you can set up on mobile when conditions are right and have a chance at killing said mature buck. Now there are many variables that assist in the basic principle(scouting, shining, etc)

But to me there are several tactics for different terrains and situations and it's the out of box mentality and hardcore determination that go hand in hand with a hunter and his tactics that make him a beast.

I will name a few examples..and no one is better than the other.

Magic-tracking
Moondoondude and Bucky with cams
RR7 and Spysar and UPman-out of state
Dan-bed hunting
JM-determination
JoeRE and DaveT- detail and setup
Stanley-knowledge
DNG-pressured lands

Now these guys walls speak for themselves. Each one of these guys posses many of the same skills but to me each is a master of each. They separate themselves. There are several others to me that are right there in there own respective skills. It's tried and true and when done it works. Just my opinion on a Beast style.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:04 pm

im not sure what beast style means. im not good at explaining much. I often don't post cause im not sure how to word things to be honest. I just know what I know and hunt...........and always try to learn from mistakes
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:08 pm

I'd like to be considered a Beast style hunter on effort alone, but I've never killed a specific buck on a specific bed before.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:16 pm

Perhaps a better terminology is beast tactic(s)???

I do have to give credit where credit is due, and what Dan has brought to the table is a technique that I don't think most really used or appreciated before he brought it to this site? I think it's a prime example of an excellent hunter analyzing his hunting grounds and finding a technique that works in that environment. I am actually fascinated by the stories I read of these guys isolating solo beds and hunting them and being successful.... as for where I hunt that's just not something that will be very consistent...... but mam I sure would love to give it a try in some of those cat tail marshes.

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:19 pm

Yes, Dan has stood out in a state that's hard to stand out in. His tactics solid and proven.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:22 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:I think the typical hunter on this site or lurker would classify a "BEAST" style as using any tactic legal that allows you to pattern a mature buck into areas he uses in daylight where you can set up on mobile when conditions are right and have a chance at killing said mature buck. Now there are many variables that assist in the basic principle(scouting, shining, etc)

But to me there are several tactics for different terrains and situations and it's the out of box mentality and hardcore determination that go hand in hand with a hunter and his tactics that make him a beast.

Magic-tracking
Dan-bed hunting
JM-determination
Stanley-knowledge
DNG-pressured lands

Now these guys walls speak for themselves. Each one of these guys posses many of the same skills but to me each is a master of each. They separate themselves. There are several others to me that are right there in there own respective skills. It's tried and true and when done it works. Just my opinion on a Beast style.

Dude u seriously have me confused with someone else.... I'm just an old fart that's been more lucky then good.... I'm just stubborn as all get out :).

Thank you though, I consider that a huge compliment to even be in such a list, much less with those dudes.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:28 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:I think the typical hunter on this site or lurker would classify a "BEAST" style as using any tactic legal that allows you to pattern a mature buck into areas he uses in daylight where you can set up on mobile when conditions are right and have a chance at killing said mature buck. Now there are many variables that assist in the basic principle(scouting, shining, etc)

Magic-tracking
Dan-bed hunting
JM-determination
Stanley-knowledge
DNG-pressured lands

DNG and WA pressured lands don't be modest were you killed that awesome buck this year and all the success in years past

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:57 pm

Spysar wrote:I'd like to be considered a Beast style hunter on effort alone, but I've never killed a specific buck on a specific bed before.

From your success going OSS and getting it done I think that's a given

Make It Happen
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:04 pm

Dave I've seen your kills, as well as how documented your journal is and how you interpret sign and your morning j hook hunts. I give credit were I see its do.

Kurt, I appreciate the high compliment. But im not the type to put myself in that elite category. I'm still young and have a lot to learn maybe one day I'll get there.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:12 pm

I would put PK_ on that list to. That guy is heck of a hunter. He seems to get the best bucks considering his area.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:13 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I would put PK_ on that list to. That guy is heck of a hunter. He seems to get the best bucks considering his area.

X2 Florida beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”