Confused when comparing previous seasons to 2015

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

Confused when comparing previous seasons to 2015

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:58 pm

Looking for some view points from the outside. I have been thinking over how my 2015 season has went so far (closes dec 31) and think maybe I'm just clouding my own judgment but I can't say for certain if I have improved with more educated beast style hunting so here is a few details. Last season I saw 2 mature bucks. One of them was a fluke and the other was semi expected. I didn't kill a buck and passed on does so I ate tag soup. I also did not really use beast tactics. This year 2015: I scouted with a purpose and hunted that way too but when things got tough I seemed to want to fall back into old patterns or take the easy plan for my hunts. I did see about 5 mature bucks (atleast 3yr old), I found 1 forsure hot spot that I have always over looked. I saw more does and young bucks than other years ( most people say to hunt mature bucks you shouldn't see many deer..?). I saw in person bucks I had on cam and also had repeat bucks on cam but is this becuase I got into better land? Who knows. I haven't killed a buck yet and again have passed on does but after looking back I see that all my hot action came the last week of October - 2nd week of nov. now I'm struggling to find deer and getting lazy falling back into old patterns and not being all that excited to climb a tree. I'm confused if I am progressing or just got into some good rut action this year ?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Lockdown

Re: Confused when comparing previous seasons to 2015

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:35 pm

Seems pretty obvious to me that you are progressing, especially if you've only hunted beast style for one year. Late season isn't easy, but can be a great time to punch your tag. Even the best hunters run into tough times. The thing that separates the good hunters from the great hunters is determination. Don't give up! All it takes is one.

There are some great topics in "best all time tactical threads"... If you haven't read the threads regarding the mental side of hunting, I would highly recommend it.

Another thing I would suggest is shooting the first buck that walks by if you've never tagged one. Experience is a big part of growing as a hunter.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:26 pm

The closer to rut the more deer your going to see with beast style tactics, or not... I would judge your whole season as improving. The biggest thing you need is a good kill to boost your confidence. Lack of confidence can be a game killer.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:43 pm

Sounds to me like you had a good season! Stay persistent as it's only a matter of time before you start reaping the rewards of scouting hard and hunting smarter.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:15 am

It's tough not to fall into old habits your first season just because you need years of scouting and hunting to build enough spots to hunt beds all season long. It sounds like your first season was very successful, now keep scouting and building more stops and gain confidence and animals will start falling!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:01 am

I am with you, I had a rough year since diving into beast style. Last year I shot a buck and this year was skunked. However, I saw the biggest living buck of my life this year hunting a swamp edge near bedding that I never would have seen without the Beast. Although he was out of range and my setup wasn't quite there, I am a firm believer in the tactics and I think I am growing.

All I can think is it will only take that one year, and that one buck to make it all worth it. I know very few people in my area that have anything more than a typical 8 or 10 on their wall, and the buck I saw this year was an absolute monster. I didn't know they existed where I live. That said, I will stick with it if you do!
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:54 am

Reads like progress to me. I am still learning a ton and the last couple years I have slacked and my progression has really slowed. All I can say is that based on my progression, the years I put more effort into it, I got better results.

The other thing to keep in mind is that what you are trying to do is hard, even though a lot of guys on here make it look easier than it is. I was amazed when I started to read through some journals and kill examples. These guys are not lucking into deer. They are working their butts off for them.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:10 am

FYI... I've hunted for 22 years and the first season I used Beast tactics is the only season I didn't tag a deer. My second season i had an encounter with a big public land buck that never would have happened without Beast tactics. Had him at 20 yards and lost light. I also passed more does and little bucks than I ever have in MN.

The more you scout an harder you work, the sooner you can make sense of hunting Beast style. It isn't easy and it takes time and patience. When you have that first encounter you will be hooked.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:39 am

The season before you saw 2 good bucks and said one was luck...so call it 1. This year you saw 5! That's a huge step up. Focus on that!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”