Bedding and Small scrub brush

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ryan
500 Club

Bedding and Small scrub brush

Unread postby Ryan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:25 am

An area im thinking about scouting was burned down about 6 years ago, thousands and thousands of acres all that is growing there now is small scrub trees and brush with overlaying logs that burned down, would bucks bed in there? I think they would cause of the cover and fact that literally no one will walk in there but what's making me question it is food sources, I cant think of any within 2 miles, all the brush is little bushes and small pines and there isn't hardwoods within miles of it. Anyone have experiences in this type of terrain?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Bedding and Small scrub brush

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:26 am

Ryan wrote:An area im thinking about scouting was burned down about 6 years ago, thousands and thousands of acres all that is growing there now is small scrub trees and brush with overlaying logs that burned down, would bucks bed in there? I think they would cause of the cover and fact that literally no one will walk in there but what's making me question it is food sources, I cant think of any within 2 miles, all the brush is little bushes and small pines and there isn't hardwoods within miles of it. Anyone have experiences in this type of terrain?

This sounds similar to clearcuts...I've wondered the same thing....the public hills I hunt has places like this too where they've burned and some is on points. There's even some places on the tops of the ridges by the road that is so thick I couldn't even walk through it...at least not standing up. I often wonder if they'll not bed on the ridge points but instead in these thick areas.
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:50 am

Wouldn't happen to be Pocosin refuge would it?
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:25 am

Young regrowth typically equals lots of food. I hunt a lot of "scrub" brush, just look a kill pictures, there are a lot of bucks killed on this type "junk" ground. I've seen enough to know that especially when there is lots of pressure, the biggest deer prefer it.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:46 am

Redman232 wrote:Young regrowth typically equals lots of food. I hunt a lot of "scrub" brush, just look a kill pictures, there are a lot of bucks killed on this type "junk" ground. I've seen enough to know that especially when there is lots of pressure, the biggest deer prefer it.

So how do you hunt it? Hunt the edges?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:13 pm

darenative wrote:Wouldn't happen to be Pocosin refuge would it?

Nope.I've never hunted that one before it's draw only right?

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Here is my instinct on your question... Bucks bed in areas based on wind currents and visual/sound clues to detect danger. I would imagine the whole area is uniform thick regrowth...homogenious. I would look at topos of the area and try to find any elevation points (can be subtle) that stick out to the east (SE, E or NE). These points can be buried within the mass of regrowth...The BEST ones, however, will be on the eastern edge of the regrowth, where the buck can bed with thick cover to his back, open cover to his front, for visual security and wind/thermal security.
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:08 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Here is my instinct on your question... Bucks bed in areas based on wind currents and visual/sound clues to detect danger. I would imagine the whole area is uniform thick regrowth...homogenious. I would look at topos of the area and try to find any elevation points (can be subtle) that stick out to the east (SE, E or NE). These points can be buried within the mass of regrowth...The BEST ones, however, will be on the eastern edge of the regrowth, where the buck can bed with thick cover to his back, open cover to his front, for visual security and wind/thermal security.

Thanks for the info appreciate it

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:04 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Here is my instinct on your question... Bucks bed in areas based on wind currents and visual/sound clues to detect danger. I would imagine the whole area is uniform thick regrowth...homogenious. I would look at topos of the area and try to find any elevation points (can be subtle) that stick out to the east (SE, E or NE). These points can be buried within the mass of regrowth...The BEST ones, however, will be on the eastern edge of the regrowth, where the buck can bed with thick cover to his back, open cover to his front, for visual security and wind/thermal security.

Why is the east side the best? Because the sun rises to the east causing the thermals to happen for longer/faster?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:22 pm

yep...
When Klemz says bucks bed in thick and look towards open with wind to back, that is key in scouting this terrain. If there is elevation look to the hills on the leeward side (which im assuming is why he mentioned the east side) when its not hilly they will be bedding on edges. Either right on the edge looking over the open terrain wind to back, or 75 to 100 yards in from the edge, wind from the open area.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:39 pm

checkerfred wrote:Why is the east side the best?

I was figuring mainly westerly type winds and leeward bedding on elevation points. Also, if you find a point like this on the east boundary of the thick growth, where he can lay with the wind/thermal advantage plus having a visual to the open terrain to the east, that would be a great feature to look at while searching for buck beds.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:50 pm

dan wrote:

yep...
When Klemz says bucks bed in thick and look towards open with wind to back, that is key in scouting this terrain. If there is elevation look to the hills on the leeward side (which im assuming is why he mentioned the east side) when its not hilly they will be bedding on edges. Either right on the edge looking over the open terrain wind to back, or 75 to 100 yards in from the edge, wind from the open area.

I agree with this, especially on the flat ground I hunt. Bucks will typically walk across an open area with the wind in their face, do a little j-hook and then bed looking back into the open area. This way they cleared the open area on the way in, scent checked the bed, and then have bedded where the wind and nasty thick stuff protects their rear, and they use there eyes and open to see what's in front of them. Escape is easy for them back to the thick stuff or busy across the open if something comes from behind.

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:16 am

checkerfred wrote:
Redman232 wrote:Young regrowth typically equals lots of food. I hunt a lot of "scrub" brush, just look a kill pictures, there are a lot of bucks killed on this type "junk" ground. I've seen enough to know that especially when there is lots of pressure, the biggest deer prefer it.

So how do you hunt it? Hunt the edges?

As others have stated, scout it and look for breaks in the cover. Keep an eye out for everything, regrowth happens in predictable patterns. You will start to notice patterns, the growth should be the same level across the clearing (assuming flat ground), if not it's either a soil change, moisture change or browsing. Deer living in thick brush are drawn to openings and to single trees or small clusters of trees. If there is a variety of species within the regrowth you are in good shape, if it's a monoculture it's going to be less desirable. I prefer to find small openings within the this areas, versus hunting the very edge of the clearings. A lot of people will walk open ground to the edge of brush, if you can find a huntable spot within the brush you are in great shape.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”