WI record books

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: WI record books

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:43 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Buffalo county is a whitetail eutopia. The flagship. Big private ownership. One of the largest QDM cooperatives in the state, if not the largest. Contrary to other counties, shining is illegal. With the exception of a few public pieces, its a pay to play county.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree with everything you said except the shining part... In my opinion that would have no impact on the size of the deer.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:49 am

Shining might have an impact on mature deer killed as a result of it though

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:58 am

Poaching may or may not be a factor too. Our area has had multiple serial thrill killers in the past 5yrs. In 2009 my buddy and I found 16 dead bucks on his property. Most in fields or within shooting distance of roads. The fines and punishments were ridiculously weak too. I like shining as much as the next guy... but it possibly could be detrimental.

Search Green Lake Cty thrill killers if u wanna read more. The case before that was even bigger.... it was EAB and the group was killing does to sell for EABs... the bucks they left lay.... SICK

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:07 am

Bucky wrote:Buffalo is almost all private land

As far as entries in record books that would be consistent within the same state over time. For example it is NOT likely that someone in SE would enter a 200"er... while someone in West would not. The probability over time within the same state would not be statistically significant.

The peak of the Whitetail herd population was roughly a decade ago.... we are on the down swing here in WI.

This seems to be happening throughout the Midwest to the point that you have people like Dr Woods discussing it on a national platform. IMO we don't wanna go back to the 70s or yrs of low low deer #s

Wow Bucky. Thanks for the research. For arguments sake- I'm going to say that the selective harvest that is more widely paracticed in western wi- especially BC and the lack of public land is what's really driving those records up. I understand the mineral content of the land in the west and how that benefits growth. However, it's not like SE WI has horrible dirt either. Dodge county and Fond du Lac are becoming destination hunting counties because of the deer that are being killed there. Incidentally, these counties are very sought after for crop farming.
In se WI all deer need is time. They get more time in the west than they do in the east. It really is as simple as that.
I'm not trying to take anything away from the west side. Quite honestly, I'd rather be hunting the west side than the marshes where I live in Washington county. I'm simply saying that this part of the state is very capable of growing world class deer.
Again thanks for the research Bucky. I'd love to sit down with a bunch of you guys with some beverages and talk deer!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:12 am

Shining is one of the best ways to locate and pattern mature bucks...period. Yes, trail cameras are great, but you can eliminate a lot of unproductive ground with a night of shining. Take shining away and you give a buck yet another chance to grow a year older.

I like shining too.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:13 am

Poaching is hard to really put a finger on. It happens more than we think and they get caught way less than they should.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:19 am

Bucky wrote:Poaching may or may not be a factor too. Our area has had multiple serial thrill killers in the past 5yrs. In 2009 my buddy and I found 16 dead bucks on his property. Most in fields or within shooting distance of roads. The fines and punishments were ridiculously weak too. I like shining as much as the next guy... but it possibly could be detrimental.

Search Green Lake Cty thrill killers if u wanna read more. The case before that was even bigger.... it was EAB and the group was killing does to sell for EABs... the bucks they left lay.... SICK

Poachers shine whether its legal or not. Its like outlawing guns, thinking its going to stop homicides. I really think it has a small effect on most properties, unless you got a group of poachers right near you... They get caught pretty fast... I know when I have been stopped shining in some pretty rural areas the cop said they were watching me with planes...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:29 am

dan wrote:
Bucky wrote:Poaching may or may not be a factor too. Our area has had multiple serial thrill killers in the past 5yrs. In 2009 my buddy and I found 16 dead bucks on his property. Most in fields or within shooting distance of roads. The fines and punishments were ridiculously weak too. I like shining as much as the next guy... but it possibly could be detrimental.

Poachers shine whether its legal or not. Its like outlawing guns, thinking its going to stop homicides. I really think it has a small effect on most properties, unless you got a group of poachers right near you... They get caught pretty fast... I know when I have been stopped shining in some pretty rural areas the cop said they were watching me with planes...

We had a pretty big drop in poaching by shining here when they changed it to no shining after 11pm and no shing in November (except on property you own). We still have a ton of poaching by people cheating in other ways though.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:38 am

Poachers don't need to shine anymore with the prices dropping on thermal imaging and night vision scopes.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:54 am

dan wrote:

A younger guy just sentenced in thrill killings in Buffalo County Like last couple months. So the shining ban had no affect on him.
I believe its the most current case. I don't have time to search it. I want to say Mondovi is where the guy was from.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:41 pm

matt1336 wrote:
Bucky wrote:Buffalo is almost all private land

As far as entries in record books that would be consistent within the same state over time. For example it is NOT likely that someone in SE would enter a 200"er... while someone in West would not. The probability over time within the same state would not be statistically significant.

The peak of the Whitetail herd population was roughly a decade ago.... we are on the down swing here in WI.

This seems to be happening throughout the Midwest to the point that you have people like Dr Woods discussing it on a national platform. IMO we don't wanna go back to the 70s or yrs of low low deer #s

Wow Bucky. Thanks for the research. For arguments sake- I'm going to say that the selective harvest that is more widely paracticed in western wi- especially BC and the lack of public land is what's really driving those records up. I understand the mineral content of the land in the west and how that benefits growth. However, it's not like SE WI has horrible dirt either. Dodge county and Fond du Lac are becoming destination hunting counties because of the deer that are being killed there. Incidentally, these counties are very sought after for crop farming.
In se WI all deer need is time. They get more time in the west than they do in the east. It really is as simple as that.
I'm not trying to take anything away from the west side. Quite honestly, I'd rather be hunting the west side than the marshes where I live in Washington county. I'm simply saying that this part of the state is very capable of growing world class deer.
Again thanks for the research Bucky. I'd love to sit down with a bunch of you guys with some beverages and talk deer!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Most of the deer scoring close to 200"+ non typical are mature deer. They are bigger in Western Counties due to the dirt...

3yr whitetails simply do not score 200"s in the wild

If you're not convinced yet... nothing I'm gonna present is gonna change your mind. :lol:

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Some of the county to county or region to region comparisons seems like varying degrees of awesomeness. Dodge Co has some great entries and is closer to the masses. Western WI seems to have that top level mix of ingredients that can kick out world class deer.

Lower human population and less public land that way certainly helps.

Is SE MN pretty good as well? I used to visit the winona area and the terrain across the river seems awesome for growing big ones. Does their early gun season hurt them?

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:18 pm

I will say if Wisconsin wanted to become the big buck capital of the universe, just severely cap the hunter numbers to bring pressure down to Iowa levels. It has the dirt across much of the state and 5 times the amount of cover.

Of course anyone in the DNR who recommends that would get death threats :lol: It would mean even residents would have to put in for a draw probably...and non residents would need many preference points.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:18 pm

fishlips wrote:Some of the county to county or region to region comparisons seems like varying degrees of awesomeness. Dodge Co has some great entries and is closer to the masses. Western WI seems to have that top level mix of ingredients that can kick out world class deer.

Lower human population and less public land that way certainly helps.

Is SE MN pretty good as well? I used to visit the winona area and the terrain across the river seems awesome for growing big ones. Does their early gun season hurt them?

SE MN and NE Iowa all crank out mega bucks

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:20 pm

JoeRE wrote:I will say if Wisconsin wanted to become the big buck capital of the universe, just severely cap the hunter numbers to bring pressure down to Iowa levels. It has the dirt across much of the state and 5 times the amount of cover.

Of course anyone in the DNR who recommends that would get death threats :lol: It would mean even residents would have to put in for a draw probably...and non residents would need many preference points.

WI is the BIG Buck Capital of the Universe!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”