El Nino Late Season Strategies

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

El Nino Late Season Strategies

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:19 pm

I haven't deer hunted much since our Waterfowl opener but I generally hunt hard the last 2-3 weeks of our season to catch bucks feeding, they seem to be somewhat pattern-able if you find where they're feeding..

But due to this heat wave, I'm not expecting a whole lot besides mosquitoes and copper heads. What have you guys been seeing in the woods? Have the deer been tough to get on?

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
JoeRE
500 Club

Re: El Nino Late Season Strategies

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:53 am

Yea late season is tougher with warm weather. Deer are just more spread out because they can be and here up north the lack of snow makes it harder to see fresh tracks as well. I just look at it as needed to cover more ground to find a deer I want, and particularly more fringe cover that would not hold deer if it was cold with deep snow.

On a positive note, I have a theory that El Nino leads to big antlers the next year due to mild winters and early springs. The last El Nino was 2009-10 and following that, the fall of 2010 was a year of giant bucks. If I don't fill a tag this late season I will console myself dreaming about that!
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:22 am

It's supposed to be in the 60-70's here the rest of the week and raining. I've got the day off and it's late muzzleloader season so I'm spending the day still hunting/scouting an area I've never hunted. That's my plan for warm weather. If they won't come to me I'll go to them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
WSalzNC

Unread postby WSalzNC » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:32 pm

I'll be in Mississippi starting this Saturday. Will be rut there, but warm as any December I've ever been there. Setting a low expectation on the deer hunting, but the bass fishing is really heating up there!!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:46 pm

Saw 6 does doing some public land spot & stalk. A lot better than I was anticipating, guess the rain was in our favor.. Looks like we'll be ending our deer season here in tank tops and shorts! High of 75 all this week...
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:07 pm

Same here...I hate this weather. I think I'm either gonna scout more or crappie fish.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”