Unusual Doe behavior? Snort Wheeze

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unusual Doe behavior? Snort Wheeze

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:07 am

I have heard plenty of bucks snort wheeze through the years but yesterday I heard several does doing it as they were fighting over a preferred staging area. I have never heard a doe snort wheeze but I did yesterday at least three times. They were fighting like crazy over who had a certain section of a staging area. There were 3=4 doe family groups fighting for dominance.

Has anyone else ever heard does snort wheeze like this?

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Unusual Doe behavior? Snort Wheeze

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:33 am

Nope! Only heard bucks do a snort wheeze.

Interesting observation. Did it sound at all different from a buck's snort wheeze? How did they posture when they were doing it - ears back tail out like a buck? Curious!

Wonder how easy it would be to replicate with a call and how effective it would be on an old matriarchal doe.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:40 am

Shed buck?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:25 am

Spysar wrote:Shed buck?

That's what I thought so I put the glasses on them - absolutely was two does making the snort wheeze. I am sure that they were does I just never heard a doe do that before. Like I said for some reason these two girls were really flailing at one another. I am not talking little spit spat these girls were knocking the crap out of each other.

Joe - the sound was actually very similar to a buck only not nearly as loud or as long. I will have to review my tacticam to see if I was able to pick up the sound. I got a few of them on film but it was pretty long distance. I would have given anything to have had a camcorder with me. All the more reason to get off the fence and get one for hunting.

It was pretty cool watching these does go at it like this.

BTW - are bucks typically carry their horns even into Feb - breading is still going on - we have a much longer rut cycle down south.
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:38 am

If anyone has a link to a video or recording of a snort wheeze vs a grunt, I would appreciate it. I know I have heard grunting and blowing but not sure about the snort wheeze.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:59 am

Caitlyn Jenner ;) :lol: On a more serious note I have never heard a doe snort wheeze. It is actually has been pretty rare to hear a buck snort wheeze where I have hunted.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:04 pm

Lol... Didn't think about that Stanley lol. I've heard grunt snort wheeze from bucks several times but I've never seen does acting like this. They didn't getting just a sick phit pheeeeee .... And they did it several times then rested up on back legs snacking each other. Maybe it was one of this does with testicles??? Lol it was crazy for sure, something I've never seen

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:00 pm

I have seen a hen turkey strut and gobble. Anything is possible.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:29 pm

9pt wrote:If anyone has a link to a video or recording of a snort wheeze vs a grunt, I would appreciate it. I know I have heard grunting and blowing but not sure about the snort wheeze.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I don't think I have heard a doe snort wheeze before, but I don't see wht they wouldn't. Especially a couple of old alpha does.
[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J13zKHGxil8[/bbvideo]
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”