Sweat prevention?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vtbuck
500 Club

Sweat prevention?

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:37 am

Just wondering what everyone does or system guys use to prevent sweating walking to the stand or scouting? What works? What doesn't ?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Dewey

Re: Sweat prevention?

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:47 am

Go slow and dress lightly. If I feel cold at first when walking in I know I'm dressed lightly enough won't work up much a sweat. If I start to heat up I take a break to cool down. Not wearing a hat is huge as it regulates your body temp better and allows you to cool off quicker. Staying dry is huge in cold weather if you want to spend longer hours on stand. A little dampness in your underclothing and you won't last long. Anything that wicks perspiration away from your skin and passes it to outer clothing is a good investment.

Early season forget it. No matter what I'm a sweated up mess especially after walking long distances in marsh grass and cattails with deep muck.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:48 am

im 260lbs....sweating is in my vocabulary ....... ;) :mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:00 am

Dewey wrote:Go slow and dress lightly. If I feel cold at first when walking in I know I'm dressed lightly enough won't work up much a sweat. If I start to heat up I take a break to cool down. Not wearing a hat is huge as it regulates your body temp better and allows you to cool off quicker. Staying dry is huge in cold weather if you want to spend longer hours on stand. A little dampness in your underclothing and you won't last long. Anything that wicks perspiration away from your skin and passes it to outer clothing is a good investment.

Early season forget it. No matter what I'm a sweated up mess especially after walking long distances in marsh grass and cattails with deep muck.

Same here.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:35 am

Dewey makes s great point. If ur warm before you start walking you're going to sweat which is game over. I usually walk in wearing my base layers, a pair of wool socks, and pack the rest. When I get where I'm hunting I change socks, put on my other layers and sometimes change boots if I'm in the swamp and there's a chance of my rubbers getting wet on the inside. I'm always looking for a better way that can give me a leg up.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:37 am

vtbuck wrote:Just wondering what everyone does or system guys use to prevent sweating walking to the stand or scouting? What works? What doesn't ?

Wear very little pack your gear in.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:45 am

Dewey wrote:Go slow and dress lightly. If I feel cold at first when walking in I know I'm dressed lightly enough won't work up much a sweat. If I start to heat up I take a break to cool down. Not wearing a hat is huge as it regulates your body temp better and allows you to cool off quicker. Staying dry is huge in cold weather if you want to spend longer hours on stand. A little dampness in your underclothing and you won't last long. Anything that wicks perspiration away from your skin and passes it to outer clothing is a good investment.

Same here.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:50 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:

Same here.

Quit lying man. I know your technique. Pay a college kid to do the work. :lol: :lol: :lol: Best way ever not to sweat. I can see Jackson in a rickshaw next , LOL
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:05 am

Spysar wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

Same here.

Quit lying man. I know your technique. Pay a college kid to do the work. :lol: :lol: :lol: Best way ever not to sweat. I can see Jackson in a rickshaw next , LOL

:lol:

Somethings a guy needs to pay others to do when that is an option...

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:19 am

Last year I was on some public land horse trails. I killed a buck. It was a mile back, so I brought out my stuff to return and drag the buck. It was gonna be miserable. When I got there, I heard a motor running. Right near where I got the buck, was a guy on a tractor! He was working on the horse trail for the state. I asked him to put the buck in his bucket on his way out, he said not a problem! He dumped it right in the bed of my pickup! That's how you save sweat!
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:34 am

Spysar wrote:Last year I was on some public land horse trails. I killed a buck. It was a mile back, so I brought out my stuff to return and drag the buck. It was gonna be miserable. When I got there, I heard a motor running. Right near where I got the buck, was a guy on a tractor! He was working on the horse trail for the state. I asked him to put the buck in his bucket on his way out, he said not a problem! He dumped it right in the bed of my pickup! That's how you save sweat!

:clap:

Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:29 am

Dewey is right on... Another thing I do if my first layer gets to damp is just take it off and then put the dry stuff on that I carry in on my stand.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:06 pm

Its hard to not sweat in the big hills, no matter how slow you go or how many layers you have on. Even traversing thru a marsh. You get a work out either way.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:19 pm

Just staying lean helps a lot. Carrying around even an extra 20 lbs is a lot in hill country. I also always pack my outer layer in with me.

I still sweat really easily, I am a large guy and if its over 60 degrees out I am probably going to break a sweat unless I go at a glacial pace....then it would take me hours to get to some of my spots. Frankly, that makes me just less likely to hunt in warm weather. Hot weather is the one condition I am just likely to tap out. Yea, I know a person can kill a buck in warm weather but its not like its great movement conditions. In the summer when I am scouting field edges or checking cams I often just go without a shirt as long as I'm not planning on bucking brush/poison ivy and I am still dripping most of the time getting back to the parking lot. On the flip side, I can take the cold really well. I am just warm blooded.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:20 pm

If you haven't already, cut your caffeine and alcohol consumption. Cutting out taurine and niacin can have a big benefit too. Caffeine is the hardest for most hunters to give up during the grind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”