No daytime deer!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

No daytime deer!

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:40 am

I have only seen one freaking deer in daylight since Thanksgiving weekend. I have 2 trail cams in different food sources and the earliest evening pics are 645 and latest morning pics are 6 am. Both about an hour before light or dark.

Any ideas on how to get into some daytime buck movement? I am about as close to known bedding as I can get.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Peeps22
500 Club

Re: No daytime deer!

Unread postby Peeps22 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:12 am

Try something out of the ordinary... cant hurt anything right?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:28 am

Need cold weather...

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:28 am

Move closer to where they are bedding. Get aggressive. It's late in the season.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:29 am

sounds like my lease property her in FL last year. dang near nothing on camera. moved camera to the middle of a cutdown where I seen a few tracks and had tons of pics. I also killed 3 coyotes within 30 yards of where I had the camera by the food, but no pics of the yotes. I only figured out they were there because I setup an observation stand. not sure if they were keeping the deer from the feeder or what, but nothing but raccoons of the camera when it was on the feeder.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:34 am

Maybe they've moved to preferred late season bedding that's further away but still make their way to the food source?
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:40 am

Buckfever wrote:Maybe they've moved to preferred late season bedding that's further away but still make their way to the food source?

This could be. Plus on my best buck property is the one I've been dealing with a tresspasser. Hoping it's not shot for the season.
On another spot in hunting today I moved about 500 yards on in. Jumped 2 walking in so I at least know the does are bedded around. It's the first 2 daylight deer I've seen in 2 weeks....very unusual. I thought the cold snap would help but it's mid 40s in the afternoon so not so much.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:52 am

Forced movement, aka deer drive.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:03 am

vtbuck wrote:Move closer to where they are bedding. Get aggressive. It's late in the season.

Exactly.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:49 am

Without the cold you won't see much. I don't really expect much this time of year. But you get the right front it can be dynamite.

I was pretty excited to see a beautiful 10 a hour and 2 hours past light that gives me idea he is bedding on the piece I can hunt. Cross the fingers trying to get a cold front soon and get up to bedding area. Oo wait no buck tag. Till next year he lives. That's just a example if what I look for in late season too bad I can't hunt this year for a buck

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:59 am

Tufrthnails wrote:sounds like my lease property her in FL last year. dang near nothing on camera. moved camera to the middle of a cutdown where I seen a few tracks and had tons of pics. I also killed 3 coyotes within 30 yards of where I had the camera by the food, but no pics of the yotes. I only figured out they were there because I setup an observation stand. not sure if they were keeping the deer from the feeder or what, but nothing but raccoons of the camera when it was on the feeder.

Back when I hunted feeders, we had some yotes that had the feeding schedule DOWN. they would always swing about 40 yards downwind checking for action. The deer numbers dropped off significantly after that.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:10 pm

Well dug in much deeper and on a fresh property, saw 5 does and one small buck. Actually jumped 2 going on. I'm thinking on my best big buck property it is now in an over hunted state with the buck either pushed off for the most part or totally nocturnal at this point.

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:42 pm

mheichelbech wrote:Well dug in much deeper and on a fresh property, saw 5 does and one small buck. Actually jumped 2 going on. I'm thinking on my best big buck property it is now in an over hunted state with the buck either pushed off for the most part or totally nocturnal at this point.

How much time do you have? Sometimes they start moving again early mid January.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:40 pm

Stack him with only one area undisturbed.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”