Out of state rut hunt; NE, SD, ND or hill country Wi

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Out of state rut hunt; NE, SD, ND or hill country Wi

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:40 am

I'm thinking of doing an out of state rut this coming season. I'm looking at Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota or western Wisconsin; I'm curious for anybody's input. My biggest deciding factors are available public land, realistic opportunity for quality animals and price. Most likely gonna be a solo trip. Trying to be low budget and either camp or sleep in my car. Aren't some public lands in the Dakotas closed to camping? Has anyone ever hunted the Dakotas or Nebraska on public land?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Out of state rut hunt; NE, SD, ND or hill country Wi

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:06 am

Those all look like good choices to me. I'd pick NE or SD with limited time. WI or ND if you are willing to prescout. A lot more public in WI and ND.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:07 am

First time non resident tag in WI is $80!!! Pretty good deal if you ask me

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
tcjohnsonjacks

Unread postby tcjohnsonjacks » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:12 am

I''ve bowhead hunted SD quite a few times all on public, and muzzleloader hunted Nebraska once and bow hunted normal North Dakota once. I think there is good chances of quality deer in all 3. I though no as far as quantity of public, either of the Dakotas are great choices, Nebraska has some but not the amount that the other 2 have, but definitely high quality public. Some areas of South Dakota can be kinda tricky to bow hunt because the lack of trees. As far as camping goes, most public land in eastern South Dakota is not open to camping, and be prepared to deal with a lot of pheasant hunters as well. I hunted north central Nebraska a few years ago and the amount of deer we saw was pretty impressive. I think in 4 days of hunting we prolly saw 5 nice bucks. Ended up with a smaller 8. My uncle had his gun miss fire at a 160 or better. I don't think you can go wrong on any of the states, just do your homework online to find some good funnels and pinch points.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:35 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Those all look like good choices to me. I'd pick NE or SD with limited time. WI or ND if you are willing to prescout. A lot more public in WI and ND.

Due to distance I'll probably have to go on cyber scouting alone, but I will November 5-13 minus a day of travel each way. I do want to turn this into an annual trip though

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:36 am

Bucky wrote:First time non resident tag in WI is $80!!! Pretty good deal if you ask me

I rifle hunted se wi in 2014 so I'll have to pay full price but still a steal at 160 for doe and a buck tag. Will public be bad during the week?

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:38 am

tcjohnsonjacks wrote:I''ve bowhead hunted SD quite a few times all on public, and muzzleloader hunted Nebraska once and bow hunted normal North Dakota once. I think there is good chances of quality deer in all 3. I though no as far as quantity of public, either of the Dakotas are great choices, Nebraska has some but not the amount that the other 2 have, but definitely high quality public. Some areas of South Dakota can be kinda tricky to bow hunt because the lack of trees. As far as camping goes, most public land in eastern South Dakota is not open to camping, and be prepared to deal with a lot of pheasant hunters as well. I hunted north central Nebraska a few years ago and the amount of deer we saw was pretty impressive. I think in 4 days of hunting we prolly saw 5 nice bucks. Ended up with a smaller 8. My uncle had his gun miss fire at a 160 or better. I don't think you can go wrong on any of the states, just do your homework online to find some good funnels and pinch points.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

That was my concern with SD, do you think ND would be loaded with pheasant hunters on public?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:40 am

cedarsavage wrote:
Bucky wrote:First time non resident tag in WI is $80!!! Pretty good deal if you ask me

I rifle hunted se wi in 2014 so I'll have to pay full price but still a steal at 160 for doe and a buck tag. Will public be bad during the week?

Pressure is still there midweek but much easier to get away. You may have it to yourself if you get away from bigger towns.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:01 am

Anyone of those except SD
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:07 am

cedarsavage wrote:I'm thinking of doing an out of state rut this coming season. I'm looking at Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota or western Wisconsin; I'm curious for anybody's input. My biggest deciding factors are available public land, realistic opportunity for quality animals and price. Most likely gonna be a solo trip. Trying to be low budget and either camp or sleep in my car. Aren't some public lands in the Dakotas closed to camping? Has anyone ever hunted the Dakotas or Nebraska on public land?

Camping in WI isn't always allowed as far as fire rings and stuff like that. You can sleep in your truck most places. I haven't seen many no over nite parking. Pressure will be there but manageable.

osage

Unread postby osage » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:57 am

I currently live in ND. Have lived and hunted both IN and WI, as far as numbers of deer, ND isn't anywhere close to the others, especially since the harsh winters of 2007-2010. In fact, I haven't been drawn for a rifle tag in 3 years because the NDGF have reduced tag numbers so drastically. However, there are some decent public areas around. Tree stand hunting can be difficult because of the lack of trees just depends on the particular public piece in question.

Our 2016 rifle season starts on Nov. 4th. Natural daylight movement after that weekend comes to a screeching halt. Do your homework and you might be able to stay away from guys but it's tough. I would recommend rut hunting other states. That's going to be my plan in the future.

If you do come out, let me know, I'd love to share stories and see how fellow Beast members hunt this type of country.

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:42 am

osage wrote:I currently live in ND. Have lived and hunted both IN and WI, as far as numbers of deer, ND isn't anywhere close to the others, especially since the harsh winters of 2007-2010. In fact, I haven't been drawn for a rifle tag in 3 years because the NDGF have reduced tag numbers so drastically. However, there are some decent public areas around. Tree stand hunting can be difficult because of the lack of trees just depends on the particular public piece in question.

Our 2016 rifle season starts on Nov. 4th. Natural daylight movement after that weekend comes to a screeching halt. Do your homework and you might be able to stay away from guys but it's tough. I would recommend rut hunting other states. That's going to be my plan in the future.

If you do come out, let me know, I'd love to share stories and see how fellow Beast members hunt this type of country.

Thanks for the input that cross nd off the list I want to avoid the orange army and with my other road trip next year and taking a few days to hunt at home that's the most convenient rut week for me. I'm down to Nebraska and hill country Wisconsin leaning toward wi. I'm expecting 56-72 hour work weeks for the next year but I'm gonna try to get away for a weekend to prescout

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:23 am

Would central Wisconsin or western Wisconsin be a better bet?

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:38 am

cedarsavage wrote:Would central Wisconsin or western Wisconsin be a better bet?

The Western stuff is limited... more around central. What are you looking to hunt... marshes or hills?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:06 am

Bucky wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:Would central Wisconsin or western Wisconsin be a better bet?

The Western stuff is limited... more around central. What are you looking to hunt... marshes or hills?

I'm open to either but I'm a lot more confident hunting marshes, probably more marshes in central?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”