Late Season Advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mermatt83

Late Season Advice

Unread postby mermatt83 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:56 pm

We've been having a ridiculously warm late fall up here in the northeast. Deer activity in areas with any pressure have seemed to really get quite nocturnal. We're getting a small cold front coming in tomorrow night. It's finally going to dip down into the 20's again tomorrow night. I have child care arranged for my daughter, so I'm free to go out tomorrow. I was just looking for a little advice or for some of you veteran beast hunters to weigh in. I'm considering going to a Public Land area called the Black Creek Marsh. I've been scouring topos and google earth and have identified a bunch of areas where edges of lots of marsh land meet dry land. Was considering hiking into the center of the property (farthest from where other hunters would typically go) and trying to scout and set up and see what happens. Just wanted some thoughts as to this late in the season whether I've got any shot at seeing a buck in shooting light and also a little dose of reality-I'm brand new to the ideas of beast hunting and really will be trying this for the first time if I do it. What do ya'll think? I could go somewhere I know and hope to set up on a doe and then start my beast scouting for 2016 once our season ends next Tuesday. Then again, I already have lots of meat in the freezer- I could take a chance and see what happens... Thoughts?

Lockdown

Re: Late Season Advice

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Take a chance and get after 'em. You're not going to learn anything by playing it safe... if you find hot sign on suspected bedding, sneak in close, and sneak slow.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:37 am

I would start looking for food sources near over looked bedding. Hunt close to the bedding, but food is going to start to be the key. The warm weather is slowing that process though.
mermatt83

Unread postby mermatt83 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:32 am

Thanks guys! I'll go out and see what happens. If I learn anything at all, I'll consider today a success.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”