Mississippi

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WSalzNC

Mississippi

Unread postby WSalzNC » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:02 am

I'm headed to Mississippi for Christmas, and will spend a week hunting old ag farms that are now pine timber farms, with a mix of ag fields, pine timber lots, hardwood lots, some thickets-- lots of transition lines at property boundaries and such. This will be the first year using BEAST tactics-- trying to get away from the big milk-carton stands over food plots, and hopefully finding some bedding areas and home to mature deer.

The rut generally kicks up right at the end of December in that area so we'll have that as a positive to hopefully counteract the negative of warm weather and S wind for a few days.

One of my issues when trying to pre-scout those areas is that its not Marsh or Swamp land, but its also not Hill country. There are some hills probably big enough to draw a mature buck to bed on, but definitely not typical hill country. Besides, the highest elevation spots on these places tend to be right where folks build there hours and pond.

My plan as of now is to find and sit near doe bedding to play the rut, might use some scents and rattling as well.

Any experience from deep-south Beast hunters?

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Mississippi

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:50 am

If you get into some serious rut activity and KNOW you have some hot does in the area. Get aggressive with the Rattling. I hunt Panhandle of FL and have good luck rattling bucks when it is hot and heavy in the area. Been a long time since I have actually gotten up there when the rut is actually kicking off.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:31 am

You will more than likely hit the rut then. Set up on the transition edges of short pines and older pines. Check 1/2 to a 1/3 up ridges leading in and out of the short pines.

It's been a heck of a good acorn crop in the south. I'll be "up" in Chickasaw County after the 1st of January.

Good luck
WSalzNC

Unread postby WSalzNC » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:43 am

Awesome feedback! I picked up the Black Rack antlers today to try out. Going to drag and place some estrous scent when I'm down there too. Luckily we have access to some spots that aren't hunted and have some good-looking transition areas near the soybeans and such. More to come!
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:28 am

Find the food, find the does, bucks are nearby.
Consider small mushrooms & green browse in pine plantations right now. Great place for them to feed 'securely'', if the plantations are the right stage to be in.
Definitely scout/hunt edges.
Best of luck to you!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:53 am

Baiting is legal in Mississippi, think u have to sit 100yds away from feed areas tho. Make sure you're baiting cause you can bet your neighbors will be. I've heard some of them boys talking about mixing Corn and rice bran for bait. running dogs for deer is also popular. I have seen data about deer surveys claiming ms is 2nd in the nation only to Texas for having most whitetails in USA. The ms river delta areas of Mississippi and Arkansas have some surprisingly huge bucks. I'm in Memphis, Good luck!

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:41 am

Above all else bring your Thermacell, skeeters are terrible this year. Gun has been open for 1 1/2 mths now so hit the thicker areas - places without climber friendly trees. Water is way up right now so if your fairly close to the river it will be an awesome trip.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”