Beast Kill Examples - 2015

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaHunter

Beast Kill Examples - 2015

Unread postby DaHunter » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:23 am

A couple years back there was a "Beast Kill Examples" thread where users posted visuals of their setups (stand location, buck travel, bedding, etc) and included a short summary of the successful hunt. I found it extremely helpful in learning where exactly to positon my treestand. I can pick out good areas but I always debate "which tree" a million times in my head. If anyone would like to share examples, please do! I'll post mine later today.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dkoy85

Re: Beast Kill Examples - 2015

Unread postby dkoy85 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:48 am

Good post. I'm excited to hear the strategies and encounters!
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:03 am

Following. Also, I'm now looking for that old thread!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:11 am

JoeRE has an amazing thread with tons of examples. I also believe DaveT has some in his as well. I'd love to do the same but competition and fear of areas being recognized put me into the category of no pics just descriptions :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:13 am

I very seldom a take a camera or phone with me on the hunt. I'm locked in on the hunt and don't like any distractions. I also hunt a low impact style and tend to set up farther away from the actual bed/bedding area per say than some of the other Beast style hunters.

My BBC story this year is a perfect example of what I call a low impact Beast style. It works for me so I continue to hunt that way.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:21 am

I understand not wanting to post aerials. A simple text summary will do, or u could always do a hand made picture in MS Paint. Lol. And no need to limit it to just bed hunting. Rut setups can help all of us. I'll check out JoeRE and DaveT's examples.

Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:31 am

I shot my 2015 buck on a Saturday morning, but the story started on Friday afternoon.

I drove out to hill country on a Friday morning and got setup at about 2pm for an afternoon hunt. I placed my stand between a predicted bedding point and a high field funnel. At 4:15 a really nice 10 pointer came through at 30 yards. I drew my bow but he never gave me a shot I felt comfortable taking. As soon as he was out of sight I grabbed my phone and checked the wind direction for the next morning: SW. Then I pulled up my topo map and found the nearest SW bedding point. I located a good one only a few hundred yards away. I got down and packed up with about 30 minutes of hunting left and took off for the SW point. I got there and analyzed the area for the best location to set up. There was a high field funnel on each side of the point so I knew he would have to enter the point "high" on the ridge. I picked a location that I thought would give me a shot to both possible entries to the point and hung my stand.

The next morning I got in 1.5 hours before light. Even getting in that early, I did bump something off the point. About 45 minutes after opening I had a nice buck approaching. He made it to about 15 yards and I shot him. He ran 60 yards and took a death roll down the hill. It wasn't the big 10 I had seen the afternoon before, but I was happy with him and how the plan came together.

Not a traditional afternoon bed hunt, but I think it still qualifies as a "beast hunt".

Here is a map. The yellow dot is where I thought a buck would bed. The darker blue lines are the rocky drainages I knew a buck would have to travel above. The white is my entry and and stand location. Orange and yellow are the ways I thought a buck would take to the point. The buck I shot took the yellow path and I shot him at the red dot.

DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:58 pm

What a perfect setup Primetime. I'm no expert, but that's one of the best funnels into a bedding point that I've seen or could imagine. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the awesome buck. Do you think the one you bumped was the big 10?

Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:17 am

DaHunter wrote:What a perfect setup Primetime. I'm no expert, but that's one of the best funnels into a bedding point that I've seen or could imagine. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the awesome buck. Do you think the one you bumped was the big 10?

I can't be certain, but I think so. My dad and I setup that afternoon off another SW bedding point in the direction the bumped buck ran and had an encounter with the 10, so I think it could've been him that I bumped and he just moved over to the next point.

I should add that when I shot my buck I thought I was shooting the big 10 from the night before. I was surprised when I walked up on him and realized it was a smaller 8 point that I had shot.
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:53 pm

Awesome example! I will have to remember that spot for next year! Just kidding. But it seems as though you have a pretty bullet proof spot in the future.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:15 am

Over-looked areas. Thinking outside the box. Im not sure if this really counts as a beast-style hunt, but I like to think so. I was driving by a chunk of hill country public and seen a cruise trail going in. I parked down the road and set up maybe 6 feet up a pine tree at the bottom of the ridge facing the wind with the trail in front of me. This was about 150-200 yards off the road. No other hunters that I know of hunt this close to the road on this parcel. This certain spot has filled a couple tags for me the last few years too.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:20 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Over-looked areas. Thinking outside the box. Im not sure if this really counts as a beast-style hunt, but I like to think so. I was driving by a chunk of hill country public and seen a cruise trail going in. I parked down the road and set up maybe 6 feet up a pine tree at the bottom of the ridge facing the wind with the trail in front of me. This was about 150-200 yards off the road. No other hunters that I know of hunt this close to the road on this parcel. This certain spot has filled a couple tags for me the last few years too.

Was this a morning or evening hunt? Seems like you'd have to do this setup late in the evening due to thermals or having a good strong wind.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:31 am

This was an evening hunt. This spot is good in the evening. Not sure why, maybe because of the sinking thermals. That #1 bedding on that spur usually has deer on it most of the day and they tend to come down to the bottom right at dark. I was expecting deer to come down the trail from the top of the ridge as they usually do. There have been times that Im packing my things in the car to go home next to the road in the dark, and had deer crossing the highway in front of me. Right before the buck I shot came in from across the road right before dark, there was some movement up by that bedding area but couldn't get a good visual on it, so Im sure those deer were ready to come down and head toward the marsh.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”