How many spots can you scout/still hunt in one day

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

How many spots can you scout/still hunt in one day

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:35 pm

I'm doing a short 2-3 day hunt in a new area far from home. Most areas are bed to food setups, that are 1/2 mile to 3/4 mile from road. I plan to still hunt (more like slow walk) to each spot to get through as many as I can. Then, back to the truck, drive couple miles and hike to the next point of interest.

How many quick scout/hunt/hikes could you fit into a day? I plan to hunt morning and eve but do this through the middle of the day to maximize time.
How do you guys approach a similar NEW area far from home or out of state while hunting? I feel like I'm just scouting, but carrying my rifle just in case.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: How many spots can you scout/still hunt in one day

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:11 pm

That approach is something I have been trying this season too. It can be effective.

I had a few close to road spots checked midday. This also was how I looked at different wind locations. Scout for a South hunt when you get North winds and vise versa.
The fact that you understand the likely deer behavior makes your scout/hunt work.
Make sure you are logging in a gps or cell phone gps because exact spots are much better and less likely to be forgotten.
When you find recent tracks or poop try to consider the weather the day or two prior to your visit.
Saturday I will be trying to get out for some more of this intel gathering /hunting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by justdirtyfun on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:36 pm

All I can say if it feels deerery to you slow way down.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:08 am

If I am really slowing down and stillhunting through an area I would say the absolute max was one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I rarely go through more than one area in half a day stillhunting....The slower you go the more you see. If its a big area I would pack a lunch. If you think you need to be somewhere else in 2 hours you are going to move way too fast.

It always amazes me I can walk through an area at a normal pace and hardly see a squirrel...move through it 10 times slower and I see lots of deer and all sorts of other critters. If you know the land, so you know in general where deer would be, I would say there is no such thing as too slow while stillhunting those spots.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:16 am

Thats close to what Im thinking, one morning, one evening. If the spot doesnt have any sign, no rubs, no droppings, no fresh tracks, I can speed up to get to the destination that I set out to check, and spend less time going through the area on the way to it.

Im not super worried about being too fast/loud, since this is also a scouting mission for futire trips really. I could then go slow when sign shows I should, or I know suspected bedding is close.

Good thing about going fast is getting the 80/20 rule down for me. That way at least if I went too fast, I know which of 5-6 spots to hit next trip, at a much slower pace, or with a stand on my back.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:55 am

Depends, if I feel like a buck is in there and I am trying to kill him from the ground, I may spend hours in about an acre or less area. If my goal is to cut up a lot of transition to find bedding to key in on for the afternoon I can run through miles of it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”