Lessons learned 2015

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kurt

Lessons learned 2015

Unread postby kurt » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:00 am

We are always learning right. So post some of things from 2015 in here that worked, didn't work, observed... Fellow beast help others shorten the learning curve for us all.

I'm curious I'm sure we get contradictory things and similar observations. Let's help each other.

Just a good summary I know some have Journals.
Last edited by kurt on Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ozzz

Re: Lessons learned 2015

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:07 am

Where you think you are most likely to get a crack at a big buck may not be where you end up getting a crack at one. Do not under estimate any hunt because he can walk in when you least expect it. In ten seconds you can have the biggest buck of your life dead.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:32 am

Hunt Ohio more.

On a more serious note, even though it's not the highest odds, mornings can produce in mid-october.

Pay attention year to year of when spots heat up, and hit them when they've been hot historically.

Never underestimate the importance of a quiet setup. My 3rd buck came in literally 5 minutes after I setup on a morning hunt. Would he have still come my way if I was making noise, banging metal, etc?

And finally, hunt Ohio more.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:38 am

Have access to each set up planned out perfectly. "I'll come in downwind from the SE" doesn't fit this criteria. Know the EXACT route.

Great topic Kurt

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:02 pm

Shoot a deer in the buttocks with .30-06 & 220 grains you will break their back...

"Just get them leaking" Lane Benoit rip

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:25 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Shoot a deer in the buttocks with .30-06 & 220 grains you will break their back...

"Just get them leaking" Lane Benoit rip

I thought for sure you would say plan a new trip to candy land. Im sure I'm not the only one wanting to see ED behind a big old buck.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Find more areas good for non primary winds.
With this years screwy weather I needed more spots for south winds. Hardly got any north winds during October

vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:52 pm

Trust your gut instead of taking the easy path. If if done this I'd been in the stand I wanted to hunt when s nice 10 ptr came by. I took the easy due to time and saw nothing.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:56 pm

Need to incorporate the new stuff learned on here a little bit at a time. Re learning how to hunt takes time, and old habits die hard. It's ok to see fewer deer. Tag soup doesn't mean total failure.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:26 pm

justin84 wrote:Need to incorporate the new stuff learned on here a little bit at a time. Re learning how to hunt takes time, and old habits die hard. It's ok to see fewer deer. Tag soup doesn't mean total failure.

I'm in this same boat.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:15 pm

The biggest thing I've learned from the Beast site over the last twelve months is to seek out those places few go. In the past I seldom set up where I could use my tree stand or my saddle. This year I set up in a lot of really small trees 4 to 6 foot off the ground and even on a ladder on a couple occasions. Where I hunted this year was vastly different then in most seasons past and I didnt even get a chance to visit my old stand by sites.. Dan's Marsh Video really got the mouse wheel turning for me.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:00 pm

Scout, scout, scout, hunt. In case no one gets what I'm saying, scout three times as much as I hunt. It's an every year lesson I love relearning.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:10 pm

The biggest thing I learned is its starting to click. I've watched more bucks bed and rise from beds than ever before. Watching a 3.5 year bed and what he did was incredible learning experience. I beat him to his bed very cool hunt. I could talk about what he did in the bed for several paragraphs.

Most notable difference that the 3.5 did going to bed that i seen was no J hook and terrain might have played a role. Or it was a bigger J then I expected and couldn't see.

I spooked some bucks this year on public pushing the envelope which is good now I can bring it back a notch and try and force myself to go slower and quieter. It's a pretty fine line in the higher the pressure areas.

On that note. Man spring scouting and sept early season are like two different worlds in the swamp and marsh. The foliage and water(which is always variable ) changes so much I've been thinking about trying a early summer practice run hanging stand and everything. At least for a handful of new areas.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:09 pm

Quit hunting at home.....or very limited...

I finally had a good season and saw atleast 5 different mature bucks on 6 different occasions that I can think of...I got to draw on exactly 0 of them...

And I have numerous others on camera that I've never laid eyes on...

Also....don't jump the gun if you wanna kill a bigger buck and have the time to do so....ID your deer...I ID'd my buck...but grossly mis-judged him...I had to make a quick decision.. I should have passed opposed to filling my only buck tag just because I thought he looked big enough and was going to be gone...watching one I know was much bigger jump over his dead body was a slap in the face......

I learned a lot this year...I could go on for hours...

A lot left me scratching my head too....one of the bigger bucks I saw was at like 3pm on a very warm early season hunt....why? Did someone else spook him? Was the pending weather front THAT powerful?? I didn't even have my stand hung yet...I was on my 2nd or 3rd stick..

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:26 am

If the wind isn't right find a new spot you never hunted the wind is right for and do an observation hunt. Seen some really nice deer outside of range from the pop-up blind I would have never seen if I just decided not to hunt because I didn't have a stand site for the jacked up winds.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”