Off-Season Goals? What about you?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

VA5326

Off-Season Goals? What about you?

Unread postby VA5326 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:16 am

As a result of work and family life, my hunting season is over. It was a great year, but I still feel as if I can do better.... much better.

My off-season goals for this/next year:

1.Take My Hunting IQ To the Next Level-

I realize everyone is always looking to raise their hunting IQ, but I'm really looking to take my hunting IQ to the next level this off-season. My plan of attack is to listen to as many podcasts as possible while taking copious notes when necessary. I have all but stopped listening to mainstream radio while driving to and from work, etc. I have also added a few books to my hunting library: (How to Bag the Biggest Buck Of Your Life by Benoit and Moon Struck by Jeff Murray and Myles Keller). I plan to do an extensive overhaul on my library by re-reading every book in my library while taking notes in a journal style book. I truly feel that this is necessary in order to gain the maximum value of my reading. I'm not one of those types who can read it once and then I got it. I have to continually review material in order to retain it. Scouting is another big one for me. I do my fair share of scouting in the late winter/early spring, but I plan on possibly taking time off to truly get a feel for some of my newer places I have taken on. Getting to attend a Beast Workshop would be the icing on the cake. ;)

And of course, watching the Beast videos ad nauseam..... LOL

2.Quality of Sits -vs- Quantity of Sits-

Not something entirely new to me but I want to get better at it by studying movements based on wind, weather, pressure (hunting and barometric), moon (OH/UF), red moon days, time of year, & food. By virtue of these, maximize my first sits by being at the right place at the right time and knowing when to move in for the strike and knowing when to lay off.

I remember Andre D. saying something that really resonated with me this year: "Never hunt the same tree twice". This is also something I'm contemplating. I have the means to do it but in a perfect world I'd want to scout the tree(s) in off-season, and mark the tree via gps(with a combination of pre-hung and mobile set-ups) vice trapsing around the woods aimlessly during hunting season. Don't get me wrong though, there will be instances where I will go completely rogue with a mobile set-up and hit the hot sign.

3. Research Buying A Small Parcel and Developing It Into A Hunting Spot (Long Term)-

I have a good amount of land to hunt already but this is something I've always wanted to do. I need to do research... much more research before I decide to pull the trigger. I'm not in a position to do this now but in the next 5-7 years, I will be. I stand to partially inherit a good amount of land, but it will never be something I can wholly call my own as it will always be considered family owned. In the areas near where I hunt, I could possibly buy, example: let's say a 50 acre parcel for around $75K. This will be a work in progress for me over the next few years and I know I have lot to learn in the selection thereof.

After reading all of this, it looks like a tall order but feasible. [glow=red]I'd be interested to hear insight, recommendations, and what your plans are this off-season and maybe get a few ideas from you all.[/glow] Also, I'm not opposed to being told to lay off the crack pipe as well if you think this is too much and/or a pipe dream :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I plan on updating this thread as needed. Thanks guys n gals.

-VA

If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
Rome

Re: Off-Season Goals? What about you?

Unread postby Rome » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:53 am

I went with the quality over quantity of sits this year, but I learned to do it right, you spend just as much time away from home, if not more. I did a lot of glassing, shining, and sitting observation stands. Once I went in for a real hunt, my sits were very productive. I have a few tweaks to make to a few sets for next year, and I feel I should be in really good shape. Deer are much more visible than people think...you just have to put the time in. I shined the same field 6 times one night in late August until I finally got confirmation that he was indeed still in the area. It took me another 6 scouting missions over the next 2 weeks to pin him down, and I nearly got him on opening day. I continued that method the rest of the season...finding a big buck, then figuring out where he was bedding based on spring scouting. I still have a lot to learn, but I really do feel that NOT sitting blind on some evenings, and instead doing observation stands, is a big piece of this mature buck puzzle.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:03 am

What's an off season? four states in the works for 2016 ( TX, OH, OK & KS if we draw - if not MO) - I think I am going to be busy until hunting season :D :)
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:20 am

Tons of prep work needed here. Lots of scouting. Now that i have a smartphone with gps it's easier to put the intel together and find my spots later. Never had this level of confidence as a result of scouting with a purpose the last couple of years. Now it's a matter of refining all this information into some solid plans. It's almost overwhelming the amount of work i need to do in the off season now.
Also going to run a couple cameras on public this winter and next late summer and see what is out there.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:23 am

I'm always thinking about how I will hunt a spot or what I can do better.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:31 am

Scout public in 3 western WI counties for rut hunt.

Scout public in multiple counties in IA in anticipation of drawing a tag either this year or next.

Scout new areas in the local marshes I hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:58 am

1. Blitz scout the main property from this year. I have narrowed it down to 5 focus areas, and want a setup for each wind on all of them. At minimum one buck bed setup, and the rest travel/funnel setups.

2. Add a property (or two) to the list. Nothing too in depth, just a spot or two at each.

3. Get a trail cam and build an inventory of my best looking area.

4. Out of state hunt

5. Equipment purchases: I'm in desperate need of a new sight and rest, hand saw/loppers for shooting lanes etc.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:07 am

Tweak this years spots and adjust after my first beast year, have at least a half dozen big woods spots set up and ready to go(8hrs from my house) maybe do an out of state hunt thinking wi hill country or Ohio not sure

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:39 am

Pretty much the same goals as going into this past year. Lots of prep work and scouting. I need focus a bit more on my efficiency of picking times and spots to hunt because it seemed like I struggled with that for a while this year.

Its not off season for me yet happily, only halftime. The second half is just about to start :D

One big difference I guess...going to pick up a recurve for the first time in a long time. I don't know if I will be ready to hunt with it yet next fall, we will see.

Tentatively going back after elk in September in the Colorado mountains...so a ton of training for that this off season. I have to dig out my backpack and 60 lb sandbag :lol:
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:03 am

DaveT1963 wrote:What's an off season? four states in the works for 2016 ( TX, OH, OK & KS if we draw - if not MO) - I think I am going to be busy until hunting season :D :)

Heck, I don't think any of us would have time for anything else either if we were wrapped up in an endeavor like that. Let alone staying married.
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:08 am

JoeRE wrote:Pretty much the same goals as going into this past year. Lots of prep work and scouting. I need focus a bit more on my efficiency of picking times and spots to hunt because it seemed like I struggled with that for a while this year.

Its not off season for me yet happily, only halftime. The second half is just about to start :D

One big difference I guess...going to pick up a recurve for the first time in a long time. I don't know if I will be ready to hunt with it yet next fall, we will see.

Tentatively going back after elk in September in the Colorado mountains...so a ton of training for that this off season. I have to dig out my backpack and 60 lb sandbag :lol:

That's great. Hunting season isn't over here either, but it is for me. Sticking an elk with a bow is bucket list type stuff, I get it. Speaking of training, I have a few other ideas/options if your considering making a switch from sandbag to something else. I ditched the sandbag long ago and moved on to a different weight platform. Long story, but I've moved on to something better, IMO.

VA
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:18 am

Still trying to fill my buck tag for this season so that is my goal for now. For next season I plan to do a bunch of scouting in Iowa this winter/spring in case I draw a tag. I would like to have at least a dozen spots lined up so my options are open. The plan is to burn some vacation on long weekends all season if I draw and focus more there than hunting at home till my tag is filled. No way I'm waiting around till the rut but if I'm still hunting then I'll probably take a few weeks more vacation.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:24 am

One thing I need to do is find some new public areas to get into for next year. I have been hammering the same handful of parcels the last 4 years. With that, I have noticed some areas are far more productive than other parcels. I think I need to come to terms with myself and let go some of those less productive properties and find something better.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:25 am

Watch Dan's Marsh Bucks DVD....
See what I can learn and put to use in the WMA close to the house that I have had VERY little luck in.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:43 am

Look into an out of state hunt.
Add a few more "link" properties around home.
Also deeper into my North country land by my camp area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”