Best Christmas Gift Ever?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justin84
500 Club

Best Christmas Gift Ever?

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:50 am

According to solunarforecast.com, this Christmas is going to be the SEASONS BEST day to hunt (for what that's worth). I know I'll be out anyways looking for the best Christmas gift a Beast hunter could ask for. We're heading up to the northwoods and I enjoy getting out there one last time before the season closes.

jcamp

Re: Best Christmas Gift Ever?

Unread postby jcamp » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

It's going to be way too warm here in PA. Temp is predicted to be in the 60's which is just ridiculous. I don't know enough about lunar cycles and deer but will that have any effect on movement with warm weather? Should i expect them arriving late back to bedding in the AM?
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:04 am

I always check this site but have never seen much of a correlation. In fact, I've heard over the years more about the bad hunting on full moon days (bright evening sky, less daylight movement?). Warm here too, even up north as of right now we're looking at a cold front Thursday-Friday then slowly back up to the 40s potentially. I want to be out this Friday for sure, coldest day in a few weeks.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:09 am

I would think the rut would be a better time than Christmas day. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:27 am

Stanley wrote:I would think the rut would be a better time than Christmas day. :think:

I think most would agree; the post was mostly in jest. The explanation for "seasons best", which generally occurs at least monthly is:

Because this minor period occurs within 30 to 60 minutes of a sunset and the moon is also rising during this time, this day is given a heightened peak time rating of seasons best and should give great hunting/fishing action during that bolded time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:29 am

Stanley wrote:I would think the rut would be a better time than Christmas day. :think:

Just based on moon data/position/timing, I don't think they take the rut into account, that is up to us.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:58 am

headgear wrote:

Just based on moon data/position/timing, I don't think they take the rut into account, that is up to us.

Day for day Christmas is not as good a day to hunt as any day in the rut. I think the kill statistics back that up. Just saying.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:44 am

The site is for fishing/hunting times, not based on one animal. Just general moon data, up to us to apply it as we see fit. ;)
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:10 am

I don't agree with that at all. First and last quarter moon is when the moon is oh and uf at dawn and dusk. Those are supposed to be the best times. I don't understand how they are coming up with that.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:51 am

headgear wrote:The site is for fishing/hunting times, not based on one animal. Just general moon data, up to us to apply it as we see fit. ;)

OP specified hunting not fishing. I referenced hunting not fishing. I have hunted Christmas day many times over the years. Just not as good as the rut. The only exception may be if the deer are yarded up where you are hunting. With the temps the way they are I would suspect yarding to be minimal if at all. The moon charts don't have any effect on when yarding takes place. So I stick by my answer. If you think Christmas is a better hunting day cool, but I would disagree. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”