Tactical Fitness

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Big Jon

Tactical Fitness

Unread postby Big Jon » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:59 am

Hey Guys,

I'm definitely not a 500 club member but I've been on the Beast for a couple years and its really changed my hunting tactics. I have been on more big bucks in the last two years than my entire hunting life, and I owe it to you guys and your knowledge of deer habits. I can say this year that I literally did my first beast style hunt where I located a bed in summer, waited for the correct wind, and set up on him...even spotted him in his bed 100yds off. I also missed him at 20 yds :clap:

The biggest thing I've learned on here is: Don't fall for the gimmicks in the hunting market. Fitness isn't much different. Don't fall for the gimmicks. You can do all of the green shakes, shake weights, and ab belts you want, but we all know what will prove real results...Hard Work!

Things I would have you guys focus on specifically...

1. Hip Stretching and Core Work - Sitting in a treestand is a sure way to tighten up your hip flexors and lower back, we can fix that.
2. Shoulder Joint prehab - drawing your 60-80lb bow is a pretty risky thing to do when you've been sedentary for 2-3 hours in the cold.
3. Tactical Fitness - Walking, hiking, climbing, marshing, going under branches/trees and doing it all with your sticks on your back needs to be trained for, especially as we grow older.
4. General Health and Nutrition - Venison is great lean protein, but it doesn't really prove much if you are hitting McDo's on the way out to your spot everyday. Lets clean up our eating a little bit so we can enjoy many more years in the marsh and not be that guys safeguarding the parking lot.

How about this, if you guys are interested I can create an online program that we all can follow. You would be able to view the workout, record your results, and compare them to the rest of the beast members :dance: . Maybe Dan can provide a link on the site? If not I could just write it up and post it somewhere.

If you are interested, please reply with "yes" and if you have anymore ideas on how to make this work...I want to hear them!

Jon Schmidt
National Strength and Conditioning - CSCS
USA-Weightlifting Level 1
ACE - Certified Personal Trainer
CrossFit Level 1 Trainer
TRX Level 1

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Tactical Fitness

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:10 am

Haha coming from a P90X failure (yoga day injury) with lower back injuries (military) I would advocate the importance of stretching and core exercise. I would be very interested in a beginner level program. I used to get plenty of exercise from my day to day routine, but lack of physical exercise in my job is pushing me to find a program I can keep up with. The biggest drawback to P90X I had was the hour and half it took of my day.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:15 am

I like the idea... count me in.
Thanks for putting it out there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:26 am

A bunch of us were starting a fitness program for 2016 so that would be awesome. I am already down 12 pounds since I started three weeks ago and I haven't even started lifting yet. You start a program and count me in for sure. Thanks
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:31 am

Yea that would be cool. I'm also a CF Level 1, maybe we could try to host something at your gym for any local guys?
Big Jon

Unread postby Big Jon » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:32 am

Great idea Justin!
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:42 am

Yes, I would definitely be in for this.

Big Jon knows his stuff. He's also great at helping his big bro drag bucks out. :lol:
Big Jon

Unread postby Big Jon » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:47 am

Primetime41 wrote:Yes, I would definitely be in for this.

Big Jon knows his stuff. He's also great at helping his big bro drag bucks out. :lol:

Ya you don't have to do the program but you're going to have to pay me a gutting and dragging fee from now on. Or please quit shooting deer down steep hills.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:49 am

I would love that big jon.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:04 am

Yes. I've been thinking about joining a gym. I have a pretty physical job but caring the stand and sticks thru the nasty swamps and sitting long hours wore me down pretty good this year. I think a good fitness program would help alot of guys.

Hoss606

Unread postby Hoss606 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:05 am

Sounds good. Sounds more like the post should be called hunting fitness

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:07 am

Interested. ...and you are 100% correct on hip flexor/core work, I focused on this in the off season and had way fewer issues/problems this year.

Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:21 am

Lunge exercise & then more lunges X 10 for marsh walking and dragging deer out.

Loppy

Unread postby Loppy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:29 am

Sounds like a great idea! My wife signed us up to run five 5Ks next year starting in March. I need to start getting in better shape. Count me in!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:39 am

yes!! :clap: :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”