Which wind should I hunt this stand in hill country?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Footballer

Which wind should I hunt this stand in hill country?

Unread postby Footballer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:31 am

I have two topos here with my stand locations in read. The other color is my entrance and exit route. The green is a big clover field. Both of these setups are for gun hunting. If you disagree with my stand locations feel free to let me know.

This one is on the rim of a large acorn flat where the deer bed. I'm hunting a funnel that bottles the travel of deer going into and out of the flat. Also, deer bed in the marsh just below it and travel the edge of it. I was thinking a south wind that will blow my scent into the large valley to the right. But I thought bucks might scent check the flat more if the wind was from the north.

This stand is in a killer location. It's surrounded by mountains above it but several deer bed and travel this area with all the points and logging roads cutting around. My stand will be on the end of a point overlooking the valley and the other points across the valley. I have found that more deer use the opposite points and logging roads. I was thinking a south wind in my face would have the deer bedding on the opposite points in front of me.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Which wind should I hunt this stand in hill country?

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:59 am

The Top one I would hunt on a south wind... It really don't look like that great of a spot, but if your sure bucks are bedding on that flat, it might work out. Or are you thinking your still going to see rut action?
Personally I would be thinking more about the marsh/swamp below or the steeper ridge bordering the south side of it.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:03 pm

The lower spot you posted looks good. South wind would be best but it could work with and East or West wind also... I like the fact that the deer on the opposite points never smell your scent and you can hunt there multiple times.
Footballer

Unread postby Footballer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:16 pm

The rut should just be starting in my area here in Tennessee this weekend. The flat has 2 logging roads on it that are torn up with rubs and scraps. The only way to enter the flat from the marsh is up that draw. The yellow is the only trail deer can use to get to the field on the other side of the valley. I have two shooters on camera where the pink dot is. I hunted there last weekend and saw beds and scrapes where the blue dot is. I'm thinking where my stand is I should be able to see the marsh, draw, flat, and marshes to my left.

Footballer

Unread postby Footballer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:29 pm

Also, is it better to enter these stands once the thermals pick up so my scent doesn't drift down to potential deer in the area?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:32 pm

I think there is some risk of spooking deer if you go out there early or later... I would go out there early and get up a tree good and high.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”