Tips on Still Hunt/Stalking in Hill Country? Scouting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Tips on Still Hunt/Stalking in Hill Country? Scouting?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:19 pm

The more I study aerials of hill country Ive never been to, the more I get frustrated. The best thing I can think to do is to still hunt/stalk the ridges and poke down some of the points that look promising for bedding. This way at least Im scouting for next year at the same time and learning, while MAYBE having a chance at a good buck.

If you have 2 guys does this change anything? Have each guy walk a parallel ridge, hoping to scout 2 ridges at once and maybe bump deer to each other?

Ive had this work on swamp transitions to woods, or wooded islands. One guy on each side. Does hill country work the same or am I clueless? This is for late season.
Thanks

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Tips on Still Hunt/Stalking in Hill Country? Scouting?

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:42 pm

johndeere506 wrote:The more I study aerials of hill country Ive never been to, the more I get frustrated. The best thing I can think to do is to still hunt/stalk the ridges and poke down some of the points that look promising for bedding. This way at least Im scouting for next year at the same time and learning, while MAYBE having a chance at a good buck.

If you have 2 guys does this change anything? Have each guy walk a parallel ridge, hoping to scout 2 ridges at once and maybe bump deer to each other?

Ive had this work on swamp transitions to woods, or wooded islands. One guy on each side. Does hill country work the same or am I clueless? This is for late season.
Thanks

I'm curious about this too. I'm the same way. The more I look at stuff the more frustrated I get...to the point where I don't even want to hunt but would rather scout. The hills I hunt is big woods. Some areas can hold deer and some areas it looks deserted or I'm missing the sign. Also, low numbers make it tough...or not necessarily low numbers but just more areas for them to be.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”