Same tresspasser - confiscated more equipment

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Same tresspasser - confiscated more equipment

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:27 am

So the trespassing hunter I spoke of last week ripped up the no trespass sign and left it at the bottom of my stand and stole my screw in steps. At least he didn't take my stand but it's locked in pretty well. I left a note by his climbing sticks which I was gonna leave until I found another stand and sticks he had up. He had left out the bottom 2 sticks to prevent access but he didn't count on a mobile hunter like me! I left another note, took his stand and 2 sticks and other climbing sticks. I said he could meet at the sheriffs dept to get his equipment back and i had talked to the DNR and country sherrifs dept and will have him arrested if I catch him. This is unfortunate as I had found several very large and fresh rubs nearby....very disappointing and frustrating. I'm hoping the guy will give up as I now have about $350 worth of his equipment.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Same tresspasser - confiscated more equipment

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:34 am

that is the best way to handle this. good job for keeping a cool head. hopefully this guy will stay off the land now. good luck.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:54 am

Great way to handle it, hope he gets the idea quick or he won't have any gear left.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:45 am

I can't believe he keeps using hang ons! Obviously not smart...if I were him I'd be using a climber or the mobile method. If the guy had been cool about it and he didn't have anywhere else to hunt I had another nearby property I would take him to. Too late now...I fear ugliness coming in some way. Also unfortunately this is one of the properties with my best bucks.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:23 am

I hate dealing with trespassers, especially ones that hear you, but dont listen. $350 worth of equipment is a lot of money, sure hope this doesnt escalate to somebody getting hurt.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:25 am

Just a tip make sure you check all your stands and stuff left in the field for being booby trapped now. In a similar situation I have seen tree steps cut half way through with a hack saw. Good luck.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:42 am

One of the perks of hunting public with a mobile setup.. These problems disappear. Good luck in the future with this guy. Maybe he got the hint.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:01 am

Be careful. Sounds like this guy is a big problem that could turn real ugly. Best bet is have a warden set up surveillance and catch him in the act.

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:10 am

I bet the dude just steals the stands he uses anyway....
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:10 am

May get to that Dewey. I took my stuff out today as a prevent measure which is really irksome...mostly hang and hunt anyway.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:17 am

Spysar wrote:I bet the dude just steals the stands he uses anyway....

Yep.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:27 pm

It's sad people are like this but this is the way of current times. People just don't respect other peoples land and property. I agree on being careful....today, you don't know how people will react. That's one reason I moved to public like mentioned. I had problems as well and got tired of fighting it with the landowner not willing to do anything. Let us know how this turns out.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:55 pm

So, when will you be auctioning off the guys stuff on HB?

mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:17 pm

Killemquietly wrote:So, when will you be auctioning off the guys stuff on HB?

If it were worth the shipping I'd donate to a needy person! The stands alone are 20-25 lbs. if he isn't a jerk and stays off the property I will gladly return it but I doubt it will work out that way.

mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:19 pm

checkerfred wrote:It's sad people are like this but this is the way of current times. People just don't respect other peoples land and property. I agree on being careful....today, you don't know how people will react. That's one reason I moved to public like mentioned. I had problems as well and got tired of fighting it with the landowner not willing to do anything. Let us know how this turns out.

I agree about the public, at least you can expect to be crowded and plan around it. It is an option I will likely pursue before muzzleloader is out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”