DaveT1963

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: DaveT1963

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:58 am

At some point i did post a story of one that evaded me for several seasons.... Let him walk when i finally had a shot. I'll see what i can dig up when i get home next week.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:50 am

Stanley wrote:I think a short introductory hunting bio would be great. Dave has been a great addition to the Beast site. :clap:

x2!!
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:38 am

stash59 wrote:
Stanley wrote:I think a short introductory hunting bio would be great. Dave has been a great addition to the Beast site. :clap:

x2!!

X3. I like reading Dave's post and journal. I can tell there lots of experience there, and very dedicated.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:05 am

whitetailassasin wrote:
Spysar wrote:I'd like to call out a profile page if you want to write one and post some pics....

Great idea! Would love to see some out of state bucks and hear how you got it done and started. I remember your introduction piece, but I think spy is talking a much more in depth version and some pics if your willing. Some guys get called out and don't feel comfortable(still awaiting BassBoysllp..you said you would...still notta.. :lol: couldn't resist for Dewey) and others don't mind. Looking forward.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

LOL

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:57 pm

Okay going to give this a shot. I'm at my lake house and not home so pics will have to wait until next week. I really don't have a lot of electronic pics so I'll dig up some Polaroids and take pics of them.

I was born in Kentucky (Army Brat) and moved around a lot. Not really sure when i picked up my first bow but it was an old Bear compound one of his first. I believe I was 13 but not a 100%, could have been 12. I played with that bow eveyday for months. Now this was before there were sights and all the ad ons so I shot it off the shelf and without sights. Sometime that summer I stumbled scross an old recurve at a garage sale. I believe it was an original Howatt Hunter???

Anyway, I practiced with that thing all summer and hunted with it that fall. I hunted hard all Oct and just wasn't seeing any deer. Luckily, an old mentor told me to walk around the oak flats until I found a lot of droppings. I did. The first morning I climbed up my little homemade treestand (no such thing as portables yet) and around 9:00 AM three does and a little four point walked by at 40 yards. Now a little grace is requested at this point, I had no idea a forty yard shot was a long shot and one that was above my skill level. I also don't remember making the shot.... It kind of just happened. Anyway I'm not even sure I picked a spot but I anchored the 50 pound recurve and next thing I knew I saw my fletching right where I had been looking, tucked tightly behind the bucks shoulder. Yes luck for sure but at that moment it didn't even occur to me me how lucky I was..... It just seemed like it was suppose to happen that way. NIAVE for sure lol.

He ran about thirty yards and got a bad case of the wobbles. He fell right there and I immediately was overcome with a case of the shakes that I'll never forget.

So my first experience was that I took my first buck with the first shot I ever took at anything. Thus a passion was born that day and probably a confidence (even though it was totally unjustified) that I could do this thing called bowhunting.

The next few years were spent filling tags. Didn't matter how big as long as I used all my tags. Somehow I did and I just keep hunting more and more. It became my passion.

Now to help pay for clothes and things, I trapped as a teen. I read everything I could about animals and I really believe this set a foundation that helped me with bow hunting. I became a student of the outdoors and spent every free moment reading, studying and trapsing through the woods of East Texas.
(I'll continue later, about typed out hard to see this little phone screen)

Last edited by DaveT1963 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:58 pm

Okay going to give this a shot. I'm at my land house and not home so pics will have to wait until next week. I really don't have a lot of electronic pics so I'll dig up some Polaroids and take pics of them.

I was born in Kentucky (Army Brat) and moved around a lot. Not really sure when i picked up my first bow but it was an old Bear compound one of his first. I believe I was 13 but not a 100%, could have been 12. I played with that bow eveyday for months. Now this was before there were sights and all the ad ons so i shot it off the shelf and without sights. Sometime that summer i stumbled scross an old recurve at a garage sale. I believe itvwas an originsl Howatt Hunter???

Anyway, I practiced with that thing all summer and hunted with it that fall. I hunted hard all Oct and just wasn't seeing any deer. Luckily, an old mentor told me to walk around the oak flats until I found a lot of droppings. I did. The first morning i climbed up my little homemade treestand and around 9:00 AM three does and a little four point walked by at 40 yards. Now a little grace is requested at this point, I had no idea a forty yard shot was a long shot. I also don't remember making the shot.... It kind of just happened. Anyway I'm not even sure I picked a spot but I anchored the 50 pound recurve and next thing I knew I saw my fletching right where I had been looking, tucked tightly behind the bucks shoulder. He ran about thirty yards and got a bad case of the wobbles. He fell right there and I immediately was overcome with a case of the shakes that I'll never forget.

So my first experience I lgot my first buck with the first shot I ever took at anything. Thus a passion was born that day and probably a confidence (even though it was totally unjustified) that I could do this thing called bowhunting.

The next few years were spent filling tags. Didn't matter how big as long as I used all my tags. Somehow I did and I just keep hunting more and more. It became my passion.

Now to help pay for clothes and things, I trapped as a teen. I read everything I could about animals and I really believe this set a foundation that helped me with bow hunting. I becameca student of the outdoors and spent every free moment reading, studying and trapsing through the woods of East Texas.
(I'll continue later, about typed out hard to see this little phone screen)

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:11 pm

HOLLY MOLLEY!! What a start!! I'd say a born natural killer!

Thanks for the start!!
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:12 pm

looking forward to this. already a good start my first buck was a 4 point also.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:25 pm

:clap:

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:23 pm

Appreciate your doing this Dave.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:52 am

I'm going to table this at this time. I already have a journal and im going to limit my posts to just that area. I'll add to that and I'll be posting stuff to my You Tube channel for those that are interested.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”