Posting aerial maps with questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justin84
500 Club

Re: Posting aerial maps with questions

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:58 am

I think the first thing I did after introducing myself when I joined was post a picture of a piece of public land and almost immediately got a PM from a gracious member familiar with the area with some private tips. I was stunned that anyone recognized it, considering the location.

At first it is pretty exciting having a group that is willing to help, you just want to put a bunch of stuff out there and try to get perspectives of people who have more experience than you. There has also been some points in time for me that I was so frustrated with my lack of success that I was expecting some perfect answer pointing me in the exact direction I needed to be on that map.

This stuff takes time though. Getting some solid advice on maps is a good start, especially at first. Then there are topics like the recent finding mature bucks thread, or the older why are you on the edge that you can read over and over and stuff starts to sink in and you start to realize you don't really need the specific dot on a map to be in the right place. You just start to put the pieces together. But it's a learning process, and Rome wasn't built in a day.

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:30 am

WSalzNC wrote:
Czabs wrote:I'm not against people or bashing people for posting aerials of the properties they are hunting. I think it's cool you like to get opinions from others and I know there's a number of people who like giving their advice [glow=red]but wouldn't you feel better knowing you came up with your own plan and did it all by yourself?[/glow]That's one thing I love about it is figuring them out myself. Makes it that much more satisfying when you get it done. Just a thought.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

So.... How am I supposed to teach myself something I don't know?

I am NOT a proponent of posting blank maps without at least taking a first stab at it, but "figuring it out on my own" was what I did before and didn't get me the outcomes I wanted.

Looks like I'm in the minority on this one :lol: ...wasn't pointing fingers at all...

I just don't like people telling me where to sit I guess...
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:37 am

I'm not against it as I have posted a few spots in the past and would totally do it again. Sometimes I like to get advice from the professional perspective.

VA
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:45 pm

Forest Gump once said 'life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get '.
The map threads are JUST like that. Some are cryptic, confusing or a complete greenhorn. And some guy's have a well established plan and are just missing the last piece of the puzzle.
My feeling is getting the land management category broke apart into 2 maybe 3 levels could help everyone.
A post that goes deep and gives a lot of positive feedback would get pulled from the Beginners thread over to Advanced as an example.
The 500 club maybe could work into this idea.
Would this sort of thing help, I don't really know.
And extra work for the guys running the site isn't my intent, thanks for all of this.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
WSalzNC

Unread postby WSalzNC » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:00 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:Forest Gump once said 'life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get '.
The map threads are JUST like that. Some are cryptic, confusing or a complete greenhorn. [glow=red][glow=red]And some guy's have a well established plan and are just missing the last piece of the puzzle.[/glow][/glow]
My feeling is getting the land management category broke apart into 2 maybe 3 levels could help everyone.
A post that goes deep and gives a lot of positive feedback would get pulled from the Beginners thread over to Advanced as an example.
And extra work for the guys running the site isn't my intent, thanks for all of this.

This is me for the most part. The only thing that frustrates me about this site is the amount of feedback I get (or lack thereof) after spending significant time marking up a CalTopo map or two, loading it to Photobucket and getting it here, being as descriptive as possible typing up detailed notes on the strategy or situation, asking questions, and then..... crickets. I post my map questions in Deer Hunting (not the other threads) because DH is where the most traffic seems to be. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm always on the edge of my seat checking back on the site to see if anyone has commented on a map scenario I have posted; often, the questions are time-sensitive and it seems like the Public Land Scouting thread is not where folks are frequently commenting. I TOTALLY understand that it is no one's job to help me out (especially for free) but I suppose the lack of consistency on map/strategy feedback is the frustrating part. I have actually thought about starting a new Topic to ask what I need to do to get y'all to comment on my maps... LOL

Would it be possible to start an Advanced Cyber-Scouting thread where the pre-requisite is that you have done your homework? Or even make a Sticky topic in Deer Hunting for Cyber-scout questions so more people will see it?
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:04 pm

WSalzNC wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:Forest Gump once said 'life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get '.
The map threads are JUST like that. Some are cryptic, confusing or a complete greenhorn. [glow=red][glow=red]And some guy's have a well established plan and are just missing the last piece of the puzzle.[/glow][/glow]

This is me for the most part. The only thing that frustrates me about this site is the amount of feedback I get (or lack thereof) after spending significant time marking up a CalTopo map or two, loading it to Photobucket and getting it here, being as descriptive as possible typing up detailed notes on the strategy or situation, asking questions, and then..... crickets. I post my map questions in Deer Hunting (not the other threads) because DH is where the most traffic seems to be. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm always on the edge of my seat checking back on the site to see if anyone has commented on a map scenario I have posted; often, the questions are time-sensitive and it seems like the Public Land Scouting thread is not where folks are frequently commenting. I TOTALLY understand that it is no one's job to help me out (especially for free) but I suppose the lack of consistency on map/strategy feedback is the frustrating part. I have actually thought about starting a new Topic to ask what I need to do to get y'all to comment on my maps... LOL

Would it be possible to start an Advanced Cyber-Scouting thread where the pre-requisite is that you have done your homework? Or even make a Sticky topic in Deer Hunting for Cyber-scout questions so more people will see it?

It's one of the main reasons that drew me to this forum. Good advice for free. I don't necessarily it should always be a pay for play. Heck, the land management actually asks you to upload maps/aerials/topos for free advice. I'm not looking for a handout, just like to hear advice from different perspectives.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”