Posting aerial maps with questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Posting aerial maps with questions

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:00 pm

I'm not against people or bashing people for posting aerials of the properties they are hunting. I think it's cool you like to get opinions from others and I know there's a number of people who like giving their advice but wouldn't you feel better knowing you came up with your own plan and did it all by yourself? That's one thing I love about it is figuring them out myself. Makes it that much more satisfying when you get it done. Just a thought.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jackson Marsh

Re: Posting aerial maps with questions

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:07 pm

It's kind of a bad idea in some locations to post an aerial of public due to the number of Beasts in the area (my area for instance :lol:).

If a guy has no clue where to start he can sure flatten the learning curve by getting some advice. I think some might just want validation that they are looking at a the correct spots.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:It's kind of a bad idea in some locations to post an aerial of public due to the number of Beasts in the area (my area for instance :lol:).

If a guy has no clue where to start he can sure flatten the learning curve by getting some advice. I think some might just want validation that they are looking at a the correct spots.

Yup I also agree about the public land stuff. I think that's a horrible idea for some of my areas as well.

Good point about validation.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:17 pm

slippery slope......

if someone is on the fence ...just pm the map to a member you trust
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:19 pm

Honestly I absolutely love seeing the comments from some of the beasts on here when they give advice on aerials. It gives me ideas of how I would apply it to the areas I hunt here in Ontario and sometimes opens my eyes to spots I'd maybe look past.

Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:21 pm

Kokes wrote:Honestly I absolutely love seeing the comments from some of the beasts on here when they give advice on aerials. It gives me ideas of how I would apply it to the areas I hunt here in Ontario and sometimes opens my eyes to spots I'd maybe look past.

Yeah I can see that, good point

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Im a fan of guys posting maps too. I like to pick the spots I would hit then see what the big guns do.. I also get alot of ideas from them. Sometimes answers are pretty quick and vague n cater towards bedding... Im a cyber scouting junky n enjoy breaking em down further.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:29 pm

Czabs wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:It's kind of a bad idea in some locations to post an aerial of public due to the number of Beasts in the area (my area for instance :lol:).

Yup I also agree about the public land stuff. I think that's a horrible idea for some of my areas as well.

Good point about validation.

Hate the public aerials. I try to snub em out and keep the conversation personal if I can. Example from this year.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32602
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:39 pm

Ya, I was reminded of the perils of posting pics by a beast not too long ago. I had been WAY too specific in my description, and included WAY too many identifiable landmarks. Though there are not a lot of beasts in my area, there is a VERY active public land hunter population here that is on many other sites that could come across these posts. I will either narrow the picture coverage or stick to verbal descriptions of my areas without including any info regarding specific location.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:05 pm

I like aerials for the most part. I enjoy the posts where the OP shows what he's found during scouting/hunting and is asking for extra input. I like to compare my own thoughts and experiences.

I dislike the strictly "where do I go" posts

Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:24 am

Lockdown wrote:I like aerials for the most part. I enjoy the posts where the OP shows what he's found during scouting/hunting and is asking for extra input. I like to compare my own thoughts and experiences.

[glow=red]I dislike the strictly "where do I go" posts[/glow]

I guess that's what I was getting at...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:11 am

Czabs wrote:I'm not against people or bashing people for posting aerials of the properties they are hunting. I think it's cool you like to get opinions from others and I know there's a number of people who like giving their advice but wouldn't you feel better knowing you came up with your own plan and did it all by yourself? That's one thing I love about it is figuring them out myself. Makes it that much more satisfying when you get it done. Just a thought.

I think most of the guys here who post maps don't do it to get free info... They do it to learn how others look at property and to help themselves become better. No better teacher than looking at what someone describes on a map then going out and walking the land while reading the map, and seeing for yourself what others see on your property.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:57 am

dan wrote:
Czabs wrote:I'm not against people or bashing people for posting aerials of the properties they are hunting. I think it's cool you like to get opinions from others and I know there's a number of people who like giving their advice but wouldn't you feel better knowing you came up with your own plan and did it all by yourself? That's one thing I love about it is figuring them out myself. Makes it that much more satisfying when you get it done. Just a thought.

I think most of the guys here who post maps don't do it to get free info... They do it to learn how others look at property and to help themselves become better. No better teacher than looking at what someone describes on a map then going out and walking the land while reading the map, and seeing for yourself what others see on your property.

For Me - Dan hit it on the head. ^^^^
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:04 am

dan wrote:

What Dan said is precisely why I do it. I've been fortunate to have some above average success in deer hunting but many if not most of you on here are light years ahead of me when it comes to reading maps and deer sign. I've been able to put myself in good situations to harvest mature bucks but some of it was luck, most of it was learning from tons of mistakes and a little of it was me being a good Hunter. I absolutely love the feedback here in order to see what others see and how they'd hunt or scout the particular area.

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
WSalzNC

Unread postby WSalzNC » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:34 am

Czabs wrote:I'm not against people or bashing people for posting aerials of the properties they are hunting. I think it's cool you like to get opinions from others and I know there's a number of people who like giving their advice [glow=red]but wouldn't you feel better knowing you came up with your own plan and did it all by yourself?[/glow]That's one thing I love about it is figuring them out myself. Makes it that much more satisfying when you get it done. Just a thought.

So.... How am I supposed to teach myself something I don't know?

I am NOT a proponent of posting blank maps without at least taking a first stab at it, but "figuring it out on my own" was what I did before and didn't get me the outcomes I wanted.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”