Thinking outside of the box

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowHusker

Re: Thinking outside of the box

Unread postby BowHusker » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:25 am

stash59 wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:A little off topic a bit but this topic reminds me of something I thought of a while back.

Look through some of the some of the titles you see in the kill zone thread. Most guys if they kill a buck on public land put in their kill zone title "public buck"

Or if they had some other disadvantage such as using a traditional bow, you can bet they added "longbow" or "recurve" to their kill thread title.

I would bet if drones were legal for hunting, and were commonly used, I think people would start adding "non-drone" to their kill thread title. At least I would. Not that anyone cares, but I myself would care and wouldn't want people to think that I'm one of those guys using drones.

What am I getting at here? I don't really know. :lol:

Your saying you get much more satisfaction doing all your scouting the hard way. Boots on ground, muck up to your glutimus maximus, scratched arms legs and face with the sweat burning in your eyes!!

I love doing my scouting this way too! There's nothing better than finding good sign or a bedding area and getting right in it to imagine how the buck is using the area. I don't think any amount of technology will eliminate the need for boots on the ground, at least they won't for me!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:28 am

For the record, I'm not planning on purchasing a thermal imaging drone, there's no way I can afford that and the extra money I do have usually goes to more pressing hunting needs such as fuel,Broadheads,arrows, treestands ect lol. An off season study with some sort of balloon and a camera though would perk my interest level!

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:29 am

hunter_mike wrote:A little off topic a bit but this topic reminds me of something I thought of a while back.

Look through some of the some of the titles you see in the kill zone thread. Most guys if they kill a buck on public land put in their kill zone title "public buck"

Or if they had some other disadvantage such as using a traditional bow, you can bet they added "longbow" or "recurve" to their kill thread title.

I would bet if drones were legal for hunting, and were commonly used, I think people would start adding "non-drone" to their kill thread title. At least I would. Not that anyone cares, but I myself would care and wouldn't want people to think that I'm one of those guys using drones.

yep some do brag but I don't think it was "most?" Sure hope I didn't. But then again we shouldn't neglect to mention the little envious shower boys with "wandering" or was it wondering eyes. :lol: :lol:
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:38 am

One other thing I'd like to add is no where in my original OP did I state I wanted to use this in a hunting situation where I would locate a bedded deer and process to try and harvest it.

My only interest would be to use in the off season as a way to see how they use the terrain and wind given certain circumstances. It seems (maybe I'm reading it wrong) that some are thinking I'm promoting to use this in a hunting situation.

So I just want to be clear that that is not at all what I'm implying. That's why my opening sentence I said "maybe I should put this in the scouting forum".

Btoeps74

Unread postby Btoeps74 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:42 am

Would a drone with a 20mm Gatling gun be considered ethical? Maybe sidewinder missels? Lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:46 am

wickedbruiser wrote:Using a drone during the hunting season is not "thinking outside the box" in my opinion. It's almost like fishing with dynamites. No fun and unethical. Now scouting post/pre season is a different story.

Scouting is all I was referring to I'm my OP, I agree using one while hunting is wrong. I should have been more clear in my OP that it wasn't intended for in season use.

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:30 pm

I beleive they banned drones here in mi for any use to do with wildlife.

Dingus

Unread postby Dingus » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:35 pm

Why wud u even consider it for scouting??? So u can try finding another shortcut to success? So u can eliminate the effort required? Think about why u are considering using a drone for scouting...laziness. I can't stand drones. Brilliant idea, yes. But they can be used to do too many bad/unethical things. Let's keep them out of the already-to-large hunting pile of gadgets.

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:38 am

I see what you're getting at I think you're right

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”