buck horror story (you may not believe this)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

futuredoc

buck horror story (you may not believe this)

Unread postby futuredoc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:35 am

I posted this over in the Indiana hunting forum in hopes that somebody might know this fellow but you need to hear this story:

I don't see a thread in here about this deer, so I'm going to tell this story and post a picture when I get home of a pretty 115ish 8 pointer that I shot on Ft. Harrison yesterday that was essentially stolen from me.

Here goes:
I shot a pretty buck, a little back, yesterday at 11:15am. I knew the shot was back, but wasnt sure how far, the buck ran across the ravine I was hunting; I saw him stumble on the opposite hill and then trot, head down, tail between legs, a little further before I lost sight of him. I decided to wait a couple of hours and then check my arrow for shot placement confirmation. at about 1pm I saw a fellow on the other ridge walking toward where the deer ran. In despiration, I got out of the tree as quick as possible and attempted to inercept the fellow before he had a chance to spook the wounded buck, or at least the area I thought the buck was in.
When I got to where I'd lost sight of the hunter and the buck, I saw another hunter walking down the ridge. he approached me and asked if I'd shot a nice 8 point. I said I did, and he told me the buck bedded down 40 yards from his stand and looked like it was going to expire; however, it saw him and stood, stumbling further down the ridge. He said "I tried to anchor him" with another shot to slow him down for you, but I hit him back as well and he went down the hill and crossed the creek. He said the deer looked like it was hurt pretty bad and is probably dead at this point.
I walked back to my tree to collect my things and took up the trail. I followed a walking pace blood trail, tons of blood on the ground from where I shot the deer past this fellows stand to the creek where the deer crossed. There was blood on leaves floating on the water. At this point, I saw a fellow down the creek about 70 yards smoking a cigarette. I asked had he seen a buck cross the creek and he denied seeing anything. I crossed the creek and found a spot of blood after about 15 minutes of searching. i should say that this creek was shallow but roughly 20 yards across, and we were not allowed to hunt on the opposite side. the fellow was watching me track from the opposite side of the creek. When i found the blood he must have seen the change in my tracking pattern and he said "I just drug a buck out of over there that I gut shot." He said he'd tracked for an hour and found it. I looked back across the creek at the fellow and from my new angle across the creek I could see a buck laying next to him. I thought immediately that this was my deer and walked down to the edge of the water to get a better look. I asked how big it was and he said a 6 point. I said ok, not mine then and went back to tracking. After half an hour of no sign at 240pm I decided I'd better come back the next day was we were supposed to leave at 4pm from the park. When I crossed back across the creek there were now 2 men field dressing the deer. I got to the side of the deer and saw that it indeed was a nice 8 pointer. I immediately recognized a 4 blade slit, from my slick tricks back on the side of the deer. just forward and low was a small three blade hole compatible with the other fellows sonic broadheads he was shooting.
At this point I told the fellow "are you sure this is your deer" because I'm positive that this is the buck I shot. The conversation deteriorated from this point. I asked where the hole he put in the deer was and his friend flipped the buck over the other side. There was a 2", roughly v shaped jagged hole about 2" away from my entry hole on the buck. The edges were ragged and almost looked like blunt force trauma, certainly they were not edematous and looked post-mortem compared to the other two surgical incision holes made by my head and the other fellows.
To shorten this story, these two clowns weren't about to give this buck to me, no matter how much I reasoned that this could not be his buck. I asked could I have the cape and antlers atleast and the fellow said he was going to mount the buck. I asked could I atleast take a pic with my phone and he allowed me to do this.
I will post the picture with this fellows face later today. If you guys know him, then at least he will not get the satisfaction of telling his bs story.
I'm telling the truth to my full knowledge, but I still have a hard time believing that such a low life would walk in the deer woods. I truly hope that this fellow believes this to be his deer and he didn't truly confabulate this entire story, but I really think he is of low moral standard. Unfortunately my life and career are too important to me to get into any sort of physical altercation with two hillbillies with knives 500 yards back in the woods.

thanks for listening,

Kendall

Read more: http://huntingindiana.proboards.com/ind ... z15SaFR5EK

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: buck horror story (you may not believe this)

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:52 am

Tough break man..I dont know what to tell ya? Hopefully karma will get the best of them down the road. Good decision on your part to think about your life and career first..
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:44 am

You made the right choice and posting the story and pics is a good thing. They will get theirs. I'm sure they have done this before and will again. Just the next person might not think ahead as you did. No deer or antlers is worth anyones life or career. Just may not seem that way at times.
Posting some pics in the local towns and taverns will get a message across as well. As well as to the local game wardens.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:02 am

That sucks! What a bunch of loosers, how can anyone mount a deer they know they didn't shoot and feel good about it?
futuredoc

Unread postby futuredoc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:03 am

Here is my deer and the fellow who stole him.
futuredoc

Unread postby futuredoc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:04 am

I like it, it's like a mug shot
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:23 am

What an A-Hole! Should have asked why he shot the deer with three different broadheads. I understand the altercation thing... That's why I work out, lol.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:36 am

Black Squirrel wrote:.. how can anyone mount a deer they know they didn't shoot and feel good about it?

Ive wondered the same thing..I saw a thing once about a guy who supposedly shot a new state record and was doing TV shows and everything telling his story of how the whole hunt played out, and they ended up finding out later that he had poached the buck at night from a neighboring state..sickening.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:40 am

I can actually relate.....

When I was 15 I shot a buck of similar size and stature from a ground blind while Gun hunting on public ground near L. Tomahawk, WI. When the buck walked through I took a well placed shot at him, the buck proceeded to run up and over a ridge where another shot was was taken by a hunter that I did not know was there. I quickly collected my things and went to where I had shot the buck, found good blood, and began on the trail. When I reached the top of the hill I found my buck piled up not even 25 yards in front of another 30-40 year old hunters treestand, he was knealt down placing his tag on the bucks antler base.

I explained that I had shot the buck back there and I had a blood trail to prove it. I was even savvy enough (at age 15) to show him that the entry hole of the single bullet hole through the bucks lungs was on the correct side for my shot and the wrong side for the direction his shot would have been. The older hunter said very little to me in response. The conversation basically ended when the older hunter exclaimed "Well theres nothing we can do now, my tag is punched". Then he just pretty much ignored me and started to gut the buck out.

I was irrate. I went back down to my ground blind and sat the remainder of the week unsuccessful and continually thinking about that buck. Looking back now I know I did the right thing by just walking away like you did. At the time I didnt even think about my age but now I think "wow, would I really take away a young hunter's first trophy", and the answer is "no". Seriously, what a lowlife. I was 15 and that would have been my first nice buck, but this 30-40 year old guy took that away from me. I am a better person for it, and I hope everytime he looks at that bucks antlers he sees my face and realizes he is just a loser.

enough said. It happens, you will move on, you will shoot bigger bucks, and the next time you see someone tracking a wounded buck or a kill shot buck falls near your tree you will celebrate for a job well done with the stranger hunter, not steal his trophy. At the end of the day those that are true hunters and live the hunting lifestyle are happy for other hunters success not envious to the point of theft or ruining another hunters end to a job well done.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:49 am

Sickening. Something like this story or Droptynes you think the best bet would have been to back out like you both did, but then to call the DNR or get an officer out on the scene? I know I would have. I actually had the same thing happen for me gun hunting when I was 19. Hunting public land, in my climber on the edge of a wet thick, cedar swamp(lord knows not a sole during gun season would hunt here, because they can not see far and dont want to get their shoes wet. Anyways, shot a small, but decent 8 pt following 4 does, it ran out of the swamp up a ridge and bang, bang. I turned around and a doe was slowly walking through, not knowing what just happened. I shot once at her. She took off. I got down, followed the blood of the buck, and saw the guy that "finished" my deer. He had neck shot it. He was actually pretty nice and said he didnt want to make a hard track job for me so he tried to put the deer down in its tracks for me, and let me tag it. I told him I may have a doe down that he could tag, and he was pumped. Didnt find blood or hair, just tracks. But this was a better experience than you guys had.
[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:09 am

Lots of dicks in the world. You handled it right though. No buck is worth getting into it in the woods over. I would have called the warden though.
Sad story. Better luck later this yr.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:58 am

That really bites :evil: I hope it happens to him someday ;)
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Unbelievable! I am sorry to hear that this lowlife took your deer. You did the right thing by not getting in an altercation with that %&(@"+&. The negative ramifications of acts like that in the outdoors are huge. People like this hilljack don't think about how that represents hunters as a whole and how much their pathetic behavior hurts others. More and more each day I am amazed at humor behavior, it is stranger than fiction. It would be nice to have him on the wall but you will grow from this experience and no doubt be a better hunter and person for it.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:33 pm

Way too many folk's who are out there to "bring back" something, no matter how they got it....

Probably best to not get into a fight over a deer, unless you know you can win. :lol:

I hope you punch another one this season.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:37 pm

SCUM BAG! :evil: :evil: :evil:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”