Tactic help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Tactic help

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:14 pm

okay I have been trying to figure out how to upload a pic from work but every photoshare site is blocked so here goes. I am going to try to describe this the best I can. Area is insane flat no more then 5 ft elevation change besides the river. I am going in Blind never scouted this area ever. If I had access to a canoe I would prob be golden but I don't. river runs east-west with a few bends but is east west. I have to hunt the north side of it no access to cross. all routes to enter are from north. one is power line other two is old railroad. first site is furthest west on river and the easiest walk to get to since it is a powerline. Second is a 800 yards east of there. And third is one mile east of powerline access. The third area is the most difficult off the beaten path by far.
wind is out of N monday and SE tuesday I can hunt from about noon to dark. This is VERY thick woods. I am using my climber. I am hoping since we havn't had any major rain the water level will not be high. I plan to hunt the river as a boundary. Knowing you have to walk in from the North would you hunt Mon or Tues. I plan to hunt both days but have other stand locations I have scouted although I have no expectation of seeing much from them. I am trying to transistion to this beast mode hunting tactic I see you guys using successfully. I know winds may change, but my plan now is to hunt/scout the stand furthest west monday with the wind out of the north by traveling south down the powerline to the river then hunt scout the west side of the power line on the river using it as a boundary. then tues hunt the furthest east site using the river as a boundary with the wind coming out of the SE their is a quick bend and I can sit that point and ambush anything coming from the east well before it could wind me and both times I would be travelling in line with my wind instead of entering with a cross wind to drag my scent all across a large portion of land. What say you guys? Any and all input is welcome. The rut here is crazy and very long, but typically Buck kills heat up around second week of December so this is a sort of pre-rut/ scout/ try a new tactic thing.

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
ozzz

Re: Tactic help

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:59 pm

TL;DR?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:05 pm

Not sure what TL;DR means. I am trying to upload a pic on my phone of the google map, but I am a bit phone handicapped.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:17 pm

Too long; didn't read. Splitting up your text into paragraphs is a good start.

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:18 pm

lol 10-4 I can definitely be long winded! I'll keep trying to get a pic up that would cut a ton of words down that whole thing pic if worth 1000 words!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:34 pm

Alright Googlfu wins again

so wind is out of N monday I plan to hunt stand site in bottom left corner of pic. following yellow line down to area. once I get there I'll do some none invasive scouting for a quick spot.

Tues wind is out of SE. I plan to huntstand site on right side of pic. If you notice the river does a sharp bend and then runs back. My direction of travel into the stand is SE.

as you can see it is a lot of mature trees the whole place is swamp, but I am hoping to find some heavy travel areas on the river bank and see what I can ambush.

In the future I plan on getting a canoe so i can launch at the bridge further west of where this pic is and paddle up and slip in all quiet like.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:29 am

pm sent.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:28 pm

iTS HARD FOR ME TO SEE YOUR MAP... But, t noticed that just to the left of the words "trail to river point" there is a block that is a different color than the rest of the area...

aT the bottom of this block where the light green meets the dark green, I call that a transition line... I would expect some buck bedding along that line. On a north wind I would expect them to bed right on that lower line. (if The light green is the thicker side) On the south wind I would expect them to bed 75 to 100 yards north of the line (if the light colored green is the thick side) or 75 to 100 yards south of the line (if the light colored green is the more open side) Hunting it with them bedding on the line is tough without pre-scouting... Hunting them bedding 75 yards away from the line is easier, but still tough.

On a S.E. wind, if the thick area is to the north, I would come in from the west so my wind was quartering to my advantage and scout right along the transition line quietly, and never going past sign I intend to set up on.

To make this a little more clear, they bed right on a transition line if wind is blowing from thick to open, and they bed 75 to 100 yards in if wind is blowing from open to thick...
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:00 am

thanks dan and wmahunter. Yes the light green is typically very thick from what I have found, usually they are what I call cypress swamp islands. typically very wet and stupid thick. I have never scouted this area. And plans have changed so I am prob not going to hunt it this season maybe an observation sit or two, but I am going to scout it middle of the day to see what I find in there, when I get back from KY. I am sitting myself up this season for a Beast style season on this WMA next year, because I feel if the tactics work here they will work anywhere.

This is by far the most baffling area I have ever hunted. I have 6 seasons of killing time here and never seen a deer. I have killed plenty of hogs, but can never recall even seeing a deer. And I know for a fact they are there just never seen them.

This is very pressured hunting ground anywhere within 200 yards of a main road. After that I typically see a lot of human sight diminish.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”